HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 7:30 AM

im completely for the Main street LRT and the end of the line being Eastgate Mall

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 3:21 PM

Metrolinx using Presto fees to gouge 905, councillors say
(Toronto Star, Ben Spurr, Mar 14 2017)

Some councillors in the 905 region are fuming about a potential new deal for the Presto fare card system and are accusing the provincial transit agency of gouging smaller municipalities while giving Toronto a sweetheart deal.

For the past year 905 municipalities have been in negotiations with Metrolinx over a new operating agreement for Presto, the provincially owned fare card system used by transit systems across the region.

A deal has yet to be reached, but a report that went before the regional council of Durham Region last Wednesday revealed tentative terms of a potential 10-year deal.

According to the report, by 2021 the seven transit agencies in the 905 could have to pay a commission to Metrolinx equal to up to 9 per cent of fare revenue they collect through Presto. The municipalities currently pay a commission of 2 per cent, which Metrolinx uses to pay the operating costs of the fare card regime.

Under the terms of a deal the TTC inked with Metrolinx in 2012, the Toronto agency pays a commission of 4.65 per cent.

Read it in full here.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 6:46 PM

^^^

I find things like this really irritating. Before Presto, Hamilton would have got all the fares and now we pay a chunk to Metrolinx for a very mediocre product that supports a bunch of people on the Sunshine List in Toronto. Eisenberger should lobby to move Metrolinx to Hamilton.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
^^^

I find things like this really irritating. Before Presto, Hamilton would have got all the fares and now we pay a chunk to Metrolinx for a very mediocre product that supports a bunch of people on the Sunshine List in Toronto. Eisenberger should lobby to move Metrolinx to Hamilton.
No. Because Hamilton would have to pay someone to collect and roll and deposit coins, or incentivize stores to stock tickets and bus passes and deal with the supply chain for those.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 7:41 PM

Metrolinx sweet deal - we will give you "free" LRT but you have to use Presto across your entire transit system and give us 9% of its revenue

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
No. Because Hamilton would have to pay someone to collect and roll and deposit coins, or incentivize stores to stock tickets and bus passes and deal with the supply chain for those.
But 9% to collect cashless fares? That's outrageous. Another company with the infrastructure and knowledge - Visa, MasterCard, Interac, even AmEx - could have done the job at a fraction of the fee. Were they ever even approached about this? Makes me wonder who knows who to get such a sweet contract.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 12:44 PM
Centretowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishap View Post
But 9% to collect cashless fares? That's outrageous. Another company with the infrastructure and knowledge - Visa, MasterCard, Interac, even AmEx - could have done the job at a fraction of the fee. Were they ever even approached about this? Makes me wonder who knows who to get such a sweet contract.
OMG, that is outrageous. Even in Montreal it's near 0.5%.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 9:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's a big day tomorrow, council last real chance to kill LRT. Council will vote on the B-Line LRT ETA.

Though, I believe we're so far along the process that even the most vocal opponent will hesitate to pull the plug.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 12:27 AM

^Some of these Councillors have no shame. Nothing surprises me about them anymore...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 11:04 PM
It's Hammer Time

#HamOntLRT’s operations, maintenance & storage facility will be at Chatham & Frid Sts; Frid will be extended to build the facility. #HamOnt pic.twitter.com/FN8o051Vx1
https://twitter.com/hamiltonlrt

Here’s a conceptual rendering of how the #HamOntLRT operations, maintenance & storage facility could look. #HamOnt pic.twitter.com/bA2c5wSxD2

Conceptual rendering of #HamOntLRT underpass @ CP Rail tracks on King @ Gage: LRVs will use underpass to avoid delays from trains. #HamOnt pic.twitter.com/EO66fqzjJY

The #HamOntLRT will cross Hwy 403 on its own bridge. Here is a conceptual rendering of how it could look. #HamOnt pic.twitter.com/2jzNralkqW

Here’s a glimpse of how a typical #HamOntLRT stop could look. #HamOnt pic.twitter.com/BEypOpQamL

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:03 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^Some of these Councillors have no shame. Nothing surprises me about them anymore...
There's always hope Metrolinx has this answered prepared:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:23 AM

Looks like Aida Johnson still a fan and also the glanbrook councillor.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:32 AM

^Exactly what Council needs - a little Sam L Jackson.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:01 AM

Uhh ohh, looks like skelly is goin soft, will probably yes for LRT since shes having doubts for the A line Brt

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:17 AM

I am liking the storage facility, especially the number of trees on the property. It's totally a vacant concrete wasteland right now, so more green is welcome, and should help a lot with noise impacts on the surrounding residential hood to the east.

However I definitely think we can be a bit more creative with the station design. I don't mind the modern look, but will it fare well over time with wear and tear? McNab is showing its age already :/

I played around with an idea for a "dream" Gage Park stop a few weeks back; I think it's an opportunity for the city to reel in some international designers to make them little gems along the route! Some of Toronto's new north subway stations are really funky and feature some really neat architecture that is pretty wild, but works with the format.

Here's the concept, probably structurally impossible but I wanted to have some fun aha:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

#HamOntLRT’s operations, maintenance & storage facility will be at Chatham & Frid Sts; Frid will be extended to build the facility. #HamOnt pic.twitter.com/FN8o051Vx1
Interesting. What a weird layout. I guess it is just a fit test, and the bidders will fix it, but to make the site work will be expensive either operationally or initial engineering to make everything fit. No better site? I wouldn't want to be the bidder who leaves out washing the LRVs everyday when there is salt on the road.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 9:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

After 12 hours of non-stop debate, council decided to defer a vote until mid April, can't remember the exact date.

One thing that was certain out of this is that council will won't approve adding a Bay Street LRT stop.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
After 12 hours of non-stop debate, council decided to defer a vote until mid April, can't remember the exact date.

One thing that was certain out of this is that council will won't approve adding a Bay Street LRT stop.
This really sucks. I get this really eerie feeling like that night of the Trump election, like "are they actually going to blow this?" Skelly, Conley and Vanderbeek have really pushed this council to the right.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 1:00 AM
It's Hammer Time

Oh I found the day of the new vote, April 19th.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
This really sucks. I get this really eerie feeling like that night of the Trump election, like "are they actually going to blow this?" Skelly, Conley and Vanderbeek have really pushed this council to the right.
Skelly is an infection !!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure