HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #521  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 8:23 AM
acenturi acenturi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 279
I love this building, except for its proximity to its neighbor. A lot of monied people must agree with me as 30+ of the 40 units are sold, even before top off. Wish we'd see 10 more scattered over Center/U City - maybe 400-500 Feet high. Isn't the $17.4M penthouse rumored to have been bought by Beyonce, Etal ?
Myself, I'd settle for one of the cheapie $7M units. Philly needs to modernize its architecture. More Mormon like towers, we don't need. Not hating on the Mormon tower - we're fortunate they decided to build that Fortress on Vine.
     
     
  #522  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 1:26 PM
Milksteak Milksteak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
I love this building, except for its proximity to its neighbor. A lot of monied people must agree with me as 30+ of the 40 units are sold, even before top off. Wish we'd see 10 more scattered over Center/U City - maybe 400-500 Feet high. Isn't the $17.4M penthouse rumored to have been bought by Beyonce, Etal ?
Myself, I'd settle for one of the cheapie $7M units. Philly needs to modernize its architecture. More Mormon like towers, we don't need. Not hating on the Mormon tower - we're fortunate they decided to build that Fortress on Vine.
I have to disagree with you here. I feel like every recent major project has been 'modern' - not a bad thing, but the Mormon Tower pays homage to a different era. I love that building and would gladly welcome more like it.

Also, I believe the Beyonce rumor was debunked...could be wrong though.
     
     
  #523  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 1:49 PM
Redddog Redddog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
I have to disagree with you here. I feel like every recent major project has been 'modern' - not a bad thing, but the Mormon Tower pays homage to a different era. I love that building and would gladly welcome more like it.

Also, I believe the Beyonce rumor was debunked...could be wrong though.
Yeah, Beyoncé ain't living there. The rumor stays alive because everyone so desperately wants to believe it's true.

The more the exterior installed, the more I like this.
     
     
  #524  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 4:27 PM
Baconboy007 Baconboy007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Yeah, Beyoncé ain't living there. The rumor stays alive because everyone so desperately wants to believe it's true.

The more the exterior installed, the more I like this.
The Beyonce thing is a joke. You can alter the URL to any city name and say that they moved there. There's another one for Miley Cirus.
     
     
  #525  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 7:17 PM
Redddog Redddog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
The Beyonce thing is a joke. You can alter the URL to any city name and say that they moved there. There's another one for Miley Cirus.
My favorite was the one that had Leo Dicaprio moving to Scranton.
     
     
  #526  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 8:09 PM
Baconboy007 Baconboy007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
My favorite was the one that had Leo Dicaprio moving to Scranton.
I think that one was true.
     
     
  #527  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 9:10 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
I love this building, except for its proximity to its neighbor. A lot of monied people must agree with me as 30+ of the 40 units are sold, even before top off. Wish we'd see 10 more scattered over Center/U City - maybe 400-500 Feet high. Isn't the $17.4M penthouse rumored to have been bought by Beyonce, Etal ?
Myself, I'd settle for one of the cheapie $7M units. Philly needs to modernize its architecture. More Mormon like towers, we don't need. Not hating on the Mormon tower - we're fortunate they decided to build that Fortress on Vine.
I like this building find. Better as it moves close to completion. But we need way more buildings like the Mormon tower. Classic and damn attractive building. That it's a "throwback" doesn't bother me at all. We've got plenty of glass and no doubt more coming (and cheap modern panels). I love modern architecture but we haven't had many residential buildings that have done a great job with it.
     
     
  #528  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 10:43 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,368
You know I'm going to disagree we don't need more throwback towers. I've always appreciate buildings designed to their current period. This is really the key to architectural diversity. I want to see different styles and time periods.

Philadelphia is very fortunate to have dozens, hundreds really, of beautiful, old buildings from various eras. I would rather see builders add to our city's rich architectural heritage and forge new styles rather than recycle the same old. This is especially true when the throwback towers always turn out mediocre at best. The Morman tower is really the one true exception. It's a great example of how a a throwback should look like but, still, it's not adding anything new. Had they put the same resources into a modern design, I am certain it could have been something truly iconic. I hope my point isn't coming across as being overly negative or trashing the Mormon tower because I do like it.

Getting back to my original point and getting back on topic, just look at how great 500 Walnut looks next to the Penn Mutual towers. Three different buildings, each separated by about 40 years, and each true to their own era. Those three buildings together look fabulous and is exactly why I have my preferences.

Last edited by McBane; Feb 4, 2017 at 2:59 AM.
     
     
  #529  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 2:52 AM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
You know I'm going to disagree we don't need more throwback towers. I've always appreciate buildings designed to their current period. This is really the key to architectural diversity. I want to see different styles and time periods.

Philadelphia is very fortunate to have dozens, hundreds really, of beautiful, old buildings from various eras. I would rather see builders add to our city's rich architectural heritage and forge new styles rather than recycle the same old. This is especially true when the throwback towers always turn out mediocre at best. The Morman tower is really the one true exception. It's a great example of how a a throwback should look like but, still, it's not adding anything new. Had they put the same resources into a modern design, I am certain it could have been something truly iconic. I hope my point isn't coming across as being overly negative or trashing the Mormon tower because I do like it.

Getting back to my original point and getting back on topic, just look at how great 500 Walnut looks next to the Penn Mutual towers. Three completely different buildings each true to their own era.
Buildings like the Mormon Tower and some of Stern's better limestone work are timeless and fit every era. I agree with you, though, that most "throwback" towers are disappointing, largely because they are poorly constructed and designed and/or use shoddy materials most of the time. Anyway, 500 Walnut is looking good! I don't love it, but it's definitely a different look and not boring. Looking forward to seeing the decks and the bottom floors come together.
     
     
  #530  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 11:17 PM
Mr Saturn64 Mr Saturn64 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Philly
Posts: 575


     
     
  #531  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 4:43 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,178
500 Walnut condo with 2 terraces lists for $6.959M

Quote:
Two-thirds of the ultra-luxurious 500 Walnut tower behind Independence Hall have already been leased before topping out, but there are still some condos up for grabs, like this 4,300-square-foot unit that wants a cool $6,959,000.

500 Walnut is one of Scannapieco’s most exclusive, luxurious projects to date, with just 35 residences in the whole Cecil A. Baker-designed building. In June 2016, the sale of its penthouse for $17.85 million became the most expensive residential transaction in the history of Philadelphia. There are only one or two residences per floor, and a robotic car-parking garage brings resident’s vehicles to them with a click of a button.
http://philly.curbed.com/2017/2/9/14...e-society-hill
     
     
  #532  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 12:50 AM
MJPhilly's Avatar
MJPhilly MJPhilly is offline
SkyscraperSunset.com
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,174










__________________
SkyscraperSunset.com
     
     
  #533  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:50 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,178
2/23/2017





     
     
  #534  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 8:20 PM
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,078
     
     
  #535  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 10:38 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 1,882
The Penn Mutual folk deserve a mural on that big blank wall that replaced their view.
     
     
  #536  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 1:04 AM
MJPhilly's Avatar
MJPhilly MJPhilly is offline
SkyscraperSunset.com
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,174
__________________
SkyscraperSunset.com
     
     
  #537  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 4:52 PM
Mr Saturn64 Mr Saturn64 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Philly
Posts: 575
     
     
  #538  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 7:54 PM
blart's Avatar
blart blart is offline
Fishtown & Country
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 233
Tuesday, 3/21 -


     
     
  #539  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 10:31 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,178
Photos: Scannapieco’s 500 Walnut condo tower tops off







Read article here:
http://philly.curbed.com/2017/3/23/1...ff-scannapieco
     
     
  #540  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 12:58 AM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,100
I don't like the windows in this building, though I realize that other parts of the unit have wider windows. I prefer this:

http://www.215chrystie.com/

Let the site scroll through to interior shots on its own. The views in this 500 Walnut shot would be so much more striking if the windows were double the width, i.e. every other pane eliminated. So that's it closer to a square instead of narrower rectangles of windows. And I think such fenestration is definitely possible. It's not outside the realm of being feasible. The ones in 215 Chrystie look to be about double or at least 1.75 the width of these.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:14 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.