HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 1:42 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was rebuilt as a low/mid rise mixed use development. It wouldn't have to be a very large building to make a massive difference in the way the street feels.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 4:47 PM

I've been told that the top few rows of bricks were oversprayed and that's why they appear a bit darker/redder than the ones below. I understand they'll be fixed before it opens. These bricks came all the way from Virginia!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 7:09 PM
Hamilton Historian

walked by it yesterday.. it was a very imposing wall of brick.. the front entrance has a big beam above it and you can see the hvac in the upper window.. looks like there may be some sort of lighting sconce on the left side of the entrance.. not sure if they are going to be adding more to the front entrance..

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 11:35 PM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 8:32 PM
Hamilton Historian

I keep staring at it and staring at it.. trying to find some redeeming qualities.. but I just can't... it just feels cheaply made.. from the generic metal entranceway and concrete slab entrance (compared to the beautiful wooden doors and tiled entranceway beside it) - the imposing wall of brick and really off window.. heck even what was there BEFORE seemed better.. at least the inside was nice..

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 8:41 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

It's worse than what got built for ARTS INC. there was some good potential there... but it pales to Sherman's Man Shop.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:10 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
It's worse than what got built for ARTS INC. there was some good potential there... but it pales to Sherman's Man Shop.
I am wondering if there is going to be a giant sign above that window - as there are electrical conduits sticking out on both sides, if something substantial was put here for signage then I could potentially seeing it evening out the look.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 4:13 PM

Quote:
it's worse than what got built for ARTS INC. there was some good potential there... but it pales to Sherman's Man Shop.
155 James St. N. in Sept 2007

155 James St. N. in Sept 2016

The transformation was facilitated by the City of Hamilton dedicating $750K in Future Fund money toward the project.

Quote:
On July 4, 2009, Information Report FCS07034(b) “Grant Payment to Hamilton Artists Inc. (HAI)” was submitted to Committee of the Whole providing information on how the grant conditions had been met. Staff subsequently remitted the remaining grant amount of $722,500 to HAI’s solicitor, in trust, for the execution of the property purchase at 155 – 161 James St. N.

In order to protect the City’s investment, the City executed a Loan Agreement in the amount of $722,500 with HAI that was secured by a first mortgage on the property purchased by HAI. This ensures the City has first rights to the property should Hamilton Artists Inc. dissolve.

The property purchased by HAI consisted of three (3) properties including 155, 157 & 161 James St. N. HAI’s original intent was to develop/renovate all 3 properties and buildings. However HAI have since revised their plans on developing the properties from what was initially envisioned, and have requested the City’s consent to sell 161 James St. N.

Last edited by thistleclub; Mar 16, 2017 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 4:13 PM
Hamilton Historian

so a little history about the building on the corner - in the past hamilton decided they were going to bulldoze a road going through this area, and in the process sheared off an entire section of the building - which is why it looks so retarded from the side, because it's literally been CUT off.

Now it's hard to tell from the archives what the front of it originally looked like as no pictures seem to exist - so I can't tell if it was 6 and 6 window columns, or 6 and 4 like it is now, but originally, it wrapped around, with 4 continuing on the south side, and then 2 more buildings beside it of stepping down heights - one with 1 window, one with 2 windows, one with 3, for a total count of 10 windows per row on that side.

So I wanted to give a quick demonstration of how this might look if restored how things currently are, but accidently replicated the building one block south from it, which was demolished for part of jackson square- it had 6 and 6.. but still, if completed this way, would make this building a lot prettier

Last edited by Chronamut; Mar 18, 2017 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 12:05 AM

FYI - York-James-Wilson

I don't have time to do this justice right now but that stretch of York used to be called Merrick. It ran right through Market Square dead-ending at James directly across from the old Federal Building.

In the interest of traffic flow, the City re-routed both Merrick and Wilson so that they'd meet at James which is why that intersection and the buildings that surround it are a little off-looking.

If you dig through the photos of James North/ the Market on Vintage Hamilton's FB page, you'll likely stumble upon some pics of that block you speak of. I'm sure there are a few on this site in the Old Photos of Hamilton thread too.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 12:51 AM

I personally enjoy that parkette. It's got several nice trees which are establishing and the city fills the beds with flowers every summer. It's a nice little sliver of greenspace downtown.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 2:52 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I personally enjoy that parkette. It's got several nice trees which are establishing and the city fills the beds with flowers every summer. It's a nice little sliver of greenspace downtown.
I just wish they'd do something with that side of the building.. it looks awful - but we know until those people sell not a damn thing will be done about it..

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
FYI - York-James-Wilson

I don't have time to do this justice right now but that stretch of York used to be called Merrick. It ran right through Market Square dead-ending at James directly across from the old Federal Building.

In the interest of traffic flow, the City re-routed both Merrick and Wilson so that they'd meet at James which is why that intersection and the buildings that surround it are a little off-looking.

If you dig through the photos of James North/ the Market on Vintage Hamilton's FB page, you'll likely stumble upon some pics of that block you speak of. I'm sure there are a few on this site in the Old Photos of Hamilton thread too.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 6:09 AM

^Nice one!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 6:13 AM
Hamilton Historian

pretty cool! I overlaid that map onto google maps just to show some interesting features by the harbour - look how much they landfilled in over the centuries!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 7:47 AM

Browse the HPL Flickr page if you want your mind blown.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 2:41 PM

^ Any idea what year that map's from?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
^ Any idea what year that map's from?
The Plan of Hamilton map is from the 1875 Illustrated historical atlas of the county of Wentworth, Ont.

Source: http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/cou...orth-title.jpg

The overview Plan of Hamilton and the maps for the other Wentworth townships are available online through the Canadian County Atlas Digital Project by McGill University
http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
so a little history about the building on the corner - in the past hamilton decided they were going to bulldoze a road going through this area, and in the process sheared off an entire section of the building
Not so. Zoom in on the 1898 & 1911 fire insurance plans and you'll see The Royal Hotel, at 4.5 storeys, ran from 2-12 Merrick Street. That corner building had vanished long before ground was broken on Civic Square/Jackson Square. Circa 1947, it was a parking lot — 75-87 James St. N. (The Royal Hotel) had been razed and only 89 remained (marked by the fire escape). It was 89 James North that fell in the Civic Square era. The expropriation of properties in the core for Civic Square began in 1965. Merrick was apparently still Merrick circa 1970.

Related: Vintage Hamilton has a snap of The Star Theatre, which stood just west of the Royal Hotel at the turn of the 20th century.

Trivia, via The Spec: "At the Royal Hotel on James Street North, April 29, 1903, nineteen automobile owners met and formed the Hamilton Automobile Club, the first in Canada."

Here's an artist's rendering of what The Royal Hotel looked like circa 1898:

And via Vintage Postcards of Hamilton, some photos:

Last edited by thistleclub; Mar 20, 2017 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 12:14 AM

Wow! What a map! I've bookmarked that one, thanks @thistleclub.

BTW, I believe the Royal Hotel burned to the ground in 1935. What a beauty it was. There's a picture of that corner post-hotel. I believe a TD bank stood there for a couple decades or so. Still looking for that photo. I'll post it when it get the chance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton