HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8901  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:24 PM
big W big W is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: E-Town
Posts: 5,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
That's because Winnipeg is one of the most Underrated Cities in Canada
& is only now just getting a little recognition/ the respect that it deserves!
Its all due to the return of the Jets. Its also why the Peg has grown faster than Quebec City and Hamilton. Its all the NHL.
__________________
SHOFEAR- "The other goalie should have to turn in his man card. What a sorry display that was." - March 24, 2008
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8902  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 5:36 PM
isaidso isaidso is offline
The New Republic
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Provinces of America
Posts: 7,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
Winnipeg is growing at a faster rate than Toronto or Vancouver.

Never thought I'd see the day.
I didn't either but a welcome development. Now if only we could see Halifax grow faster than Toronto and Vancouver.
__________________
World's First Documented Baseball Game: Beachville, Ontario, June 4th, 1838.
World's First Documented Gridiron Game: University College, Toronto, November 9th, 1861.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 1869 & Toronto Argonauts since 1873: North America's 2 oldest pro football teams
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8903  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 6:38 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I didn't either but a welcome development. Now if only we could see Halifax grow faster than Toronto and Vancouver.
It is just one year but the estimated percentage change in population from 2015-2016 in Halifax was just under 2%. Slightly greater than Toronto and about 50% higher than Vancouver.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...emo05a-eng.htm

Provincial immigration nomination caps for NS have risen so there's some reason to believe a higher growth rate might continue. Halifax is also way more affordable these days.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8904  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 12:32 AM
JM5 JM5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
Its all due to the return of the Jets. Its also why the Peg has grown faster than Quebec City and Hamilton. Its all the NHL.
Such claims are frankly ridiculous. As a person who actually lives in the city, it's abundantly clear that the IKEA opening is responsible for the increased growth rate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8905  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 5:13 AM
Razor Razor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
Such claims are frankly ridiculous. As a person who actually lives in the city, it's abundantly clear that the IKEA opening is responsible for the increased growth rate.

And people in the Peg will love their cheap hot dogs and breakfasts, but lose their marbles later while putting together all the furniture they bought. Especially when their better halves are micro managing the procedure with instructons in hand.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8906  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 6:29 AM
JM5 JM5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
And people in the Peg will love their cheap hot dogs and breakfasts, but lose their marbles later while putting together all the furniture they bought. Especially when their better halves are micro managing the procedure with instructons in hand.
Gee, thanks for bringing THOSE memories back. I thought I'd burried them deep enough, but apparently not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8907  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 1:47 PM
SaskScraper SaskScraper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
Gee, thanks for bringing THOSE memories back. I thought I'd burried them deep enough, but apparently not.
The taste of Swedish meatballs made with horse meat will never be the same.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8908  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 3:00 PM
jawagord's Avatar
jawagord jawagord is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
And people in the Peg will love their cheap hot dogs and breakfasts, but lose their marbles later while putting together all the furniture they bought. Especially when their better halves are micro managing the procedure with instructons in hand.
"How's the Kullen coming along? Ikea doesn't assemble itself, you know."
__________________
The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound. That's why Darwin will always be right and Malthus will always be wrong - K.R.Sridhar

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8909  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 9:54 PM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 7,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
CBC Newsworld began broadcasting on July 31, 1989 from several regional studios in Halifax, Toronto, Winnipeg and Calgary. However, budget cuts over the years forced the network to centralize most of its operations in Toronto and Calgary.\
It was announced for Winnipeg but I don't think it ever got off the ground there. Before it did, the CBC decided to respond to budget pressures by shrinking itself to one originating station per language per province (2 in Ontario English and Quebec French). One of those that was cut was CBC Calgary, so to mollify Calgary, the Winnipeg Newsworld unit was moved there, including on-air personality Anne Petrie.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8910  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 8:47 PM
Tosin007 Tosin007 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth!
Posts: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
Its all due to the return of the Jets. Its also why the Peg has grown faster than Quebec City and Hamilton. Its all the NHL.
Yeah that's likely true!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8911  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 12:30 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
The New Republic
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Provinces of America
Posts: 7,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is just one year but the estimated percentage change in population from 2015-2016 in Halifax was just under 2%. Slightly greater than Toronto and about 50% higher than Vancouver.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...emo05a-eng.htm

Provincial immigration nomination caps for NS have risen so there's some reason to believe a higher growth rate might continue. Halifax is also way more affordable these days.
Migrants are waking up to the draw of some of Canada's smaller cities. Halifax is a mystery to a lot of Canadians outside the region so its not just immigrants who overlook it. Halifax has a lot going for it and is starting to show up on people's radar. Besides, no city grows fastest forever. Eventually other cities move to the forefront. Maybe it's Halifax's time to shine.
__________________
World's First Documented Baseball Game: Beachville, Ontario, June 4th, 1838.
World's First Documented Gridiron Game: University College, Toronto, November 9th, 1861.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 1869 & Toronto Argonauts since 1873: North America's 2 oldest pro football teams
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8912  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 11:01 AM
Stryker Stryker is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Migrants are waking up to the draw of some of Canada's smaller cities. Halifax is a mystery to a lot of Canadians outside the region so its not just immigrants who overlook it. Halifax has a lot going for it and is starting to show up on people's radar. Besides, no city grows fastest forever. Eventually other cities move to the forefront. Maybe it's Halifax's time to shine.
Yeah well I can say for certain that most immigrants I've met are absolutely in love with the scale of the city/scenery.

They detest the weather, relative to the rest of canada, and they hate feeling excluded economically.

However I can see both of these items being way more favourable in halifax.



However I can't imagine the place being poorly known.

My understanding is it's one of the best known places outside of the big four provinces.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8913  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:55 PM
wave46 wave46 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Yeah well I can say for certain that most immigrants I've met are absolutely in love with the scale of the city/scenery.

They detest the weather, relative to the rest of canada, and they hate feeling excluded economically.

However I can see both of these items being way more favourable in halifax.



However I can't imagine the place being poorly known.

My understanding is it's one of the best known places outside of the big four provinces.
Not poorly known to Canadians, but to outsiders.

I could see how an immigrant from the Asia-Pacific region wouldn't have much of an idea about Halifax. It's not a major city in the world scheme of things.

From the other side of the coin, I don't know much about Chinese cities outside of Shanghai, Beijing, Xi'an or Shenzen, so I could see how smaller places in Canada aren't on immigrants' radar.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8914  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 9:20 PM
isaidso isaidso is offline
The New Republic
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Provinces of America
Posts: 7,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Not poorly known to Canadians, but to outsiders.

I could see how an immigrant from the Asia-Pacific region wouldn't have much of an idea about Halifax. It's not a major city in the world scheme of things.
I've been living in Toronto since 2001 and most people have a foggy notion of Halifax or no concept of the place whatsoever. There will always be some that know or have been, but the majority view doesn't go much beyond East coast, fish, and old. They wouldn't have heard of Dalhousie, know that Halifax is the size of Oshawa, that its full of navy/army personnel, has tons of university students, is prosperous, or that it's similar to New England in age/culture/appearance. On my recent trip to Vancouver, they knew even less. Somewhere in the east?

People on SSP aren't all that representative of the average person.
__________________
World's First Documented Baseball Game: Beachville, Ontario, June 4th, 1838.
World's First Documented Gridiron Game: University College, Toronto, November 9th, 1861.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 1869 & Toronto Argonauts since 1873: North America's 2 oldest pro football teams
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8915  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 9:49 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Yeah well I can say for certain that most immigrants I've met are absolutely in love with the scale of the city/scenery.

They detest the weather, relative to the rest of canada, and they hate feeling excluded economically.

However I can see both of these items being way more favourable in halifax.



However I can't imagine the place being poorly known.

My understanding is it's one of the best known places outside of the big four provinces.
I'm not sure immigrants are especially excluded economically. Employment rates for immigrants in Halifax are higher than the national average, as are incomes.

But as others said, I doubt many immigrants would have heard much, if anything, about any Canadian city beyond the big three. Even Vancouver is probably a pretty blank spot on the map for immigrants outside the Pacific Rim.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8916  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 9:56 PM
Stryker Stryker is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I'm not sure immigrants are especially excluded economically. Employment rates for immigrants in Halifax are higher than the national average, as are incomes.
.
I was referring to st john's.

MY point was that halifax doesn't have that problem, nor does it have the problem of bad weather.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8917  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 11:57 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
I was referring to st john's.

MY point was that halifax doesn't have that problem, nor does it have the problem of bad weather.
Ah, sorry, missed that. Indeed, though I know lots of locals who'd disagree on the weather thing!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8918  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:57 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I've been living in Toronto since 2001 and most people have a foggy notion of Halifax or no concept of the place whatsoever.
I find that most people born in Canada know a little bit about Halifax, although some fall back on negative stereotypes about the region (this used to be worse). People born outside of Canada are less likely to know about it, unless they have some kind of interest in geography or went there for some reason. It was refreshing to occasionally talk to Americans or Europeans who asked me where I was from and then didn't assume a bunch of stuff about me (maybe based on stereotypes about Newfoundland that date back to the 80's or so).

I think a lot of average immigrants to Canada would find a higher standard of living in Halifax than they would in Toronto or Vancouver, mostly because of cheaper housing and shorter commutes. The downside is that, in many cases, they will not find as many locals who share their native culture and language. But they are likely to be welcomed generally and attain a good material standard of living. Traditionally, Halifax has been most popular with immigrants from the Middle East, Europe, and the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Ah, sorry, missed that. Indeed, though I know lots of locals who'd disagree on the weather thing!
It's not San Diego but I find that Haligonians have a warped sense of how bad the weather is there compared to other places. It's average or maybe on the slightly low side of average, particularly when you factor in how oppressively hot or dreary a lot of places can be. And nowhere in Canada is a big step up really.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8919  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:39 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 24,016
Stats Can announced new numbers regarding fruit and vegetable consumption.

They measured the percentage who eat fruit or vegetables 5x daily. It ranges from 22.5% in NL to 38.8% in QC.

I'm almost afraid to ask... Do you people really eat fruit and vegetables five times a day? Even on a good, no junk food day I have it three times at most. At most lol. Who the **** is eating 5x daily?

We're too busy smoking. Latest numbers for that are out and they range from 24.4% in NL to 13.8% in BC.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8920  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:50 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Stats Can announced new numbers regarding fruit and vegetable consumption.

They measured the percentage who eat fruit or vegetables 5x daily. It ranges from 22.5% in NL to 38.8% in QC.

I'm almost afraid to ask... Do you people really eat fruit and vegetables five times a day? Even on a good, no junk food day I have it three times at most. At most lol. Who the **** is eating 5x daily?

We're too busy smoking. Latest numbers for that are out and they range from 24.4% in NL to 13.8% in BC.
Even the highest place (Quebec) is only a little more than 30%.

I probably get to five or more servings of fresh fruits/veggies most days, though not ALL days. Cooked counts, right? I assume they just mean not like, canned or whatever.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:46 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.