HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
That's because Winnipeg is one of the most Underrated Cities in Canada
& is only now just getting a little recognition/ the respect that it deserves!
Its all due to the return of the Jets. Its also why the Peg has grown faster than Quebec City and Hamilton. Its all the NHL.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 5:36 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
Winnipeg is growing at a faster rate than Toronto or Vancouver.

Never thought I'd see the day.
I didn't either but a welcome development. Now if only we could see Halifax grow faster than Toronto and Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 6:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I didn't either but a welcome development. Now if only we could see Halifax grow faster than Toronto and Vancouver.
It is just one year but the estimated percentage change in population from 2015-2016 in Halifax was just under 2%. Slightly greater than Toronto and about 50% higher than Vancouver.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...emo05a-eng.htm

Provincial immigration nomination caps for NS have risen so there's some reason to believe a higher growth rate might continue. Halifax is also way more affordable these days.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
Its all due to the return of the Jets. Its also why the Peg has grown faster than Quebec City and Hamilton. Its all the NHL.
Such claims are frankly ridiculous. As a person who actually lives in the city, it's abundantly clear that the IKEA opening is responsible for the increased growth rate.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Such claims are frankly ridiculous. As a person who actually lives in the city, it's abundantly clear that the IKEA opening is responsible for the increased growth rate.

And people in the Peg will love their cheap hot dogs and breakfasts, but lose their marbles later while putting together all the furniture they bought. Especially when their better halves are micro managing the procedure with instructons in hand.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
And people in the Peg will love their cheap hot dogs and breakfasts, but lose their marbles later while putting together all the furniture they bought. Especially when their better halves are micro managing the procedure with instructons in hand.
Gee, thanks for bringing THOSE memories back. I thought I'd burried them deep enough, but apparently not.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Gee, thanks for bringing THOSE memories back. I thought I'd burried them deep enough, but apparently not.
The taste of Swedish meatballs made with horse meat will never be the same.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
"How's the Kullen coming along? Ikea doesn't assemble itself, you know."

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 9:54 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
CBC Newsworld began broadcasting on July 31, 1989 from several regional studios in Halifax, Toronto, Winnipeg and Calgary. However, budget cuts over the years forced the network to centralize most of its operations in Toronto and Calgary.\
It was announced for Winnipeg but I don't think it ever got off the ground there. Before it did, the CBC decided to respond to budget pressures by shrinking itself to one originating station per language per province (2 in Ontario English and Quebec French). One of those that was cut was CBC Calgary, so to mollify Calgary, the Winnipeg Newsworld unit was moved there, including on-air personality Anne Petrie.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
Yeah that's likely true!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 12:30 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is just one year but the estimated percentage change in population from 2015-2016 in Halifax was just under 2%. Slightly greater than Toronto and about 50% higher than Vancouver.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...emo05a-eng.htm

Provincial immigration nomination caps for NS have risen so there's some reason to believe a higher growth rate might continue. Halifax is also way more affordable these days.
Migrants are waking up to the draw of some of Canada's smaller cities. Halifax is a mystery to a lot of Canadians outside the region so its not just immigrants who overlook it. Halifax has a lot going for it and is starting to show up on people's radar. Besides, no city grows fastest forever. Eventually other cities move to the forefront. Maybe it's Halifax's time to shine.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 11:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Migrants are waking up to the draw of some of Canada's smaller cities. Halifax is a mystery to a lot of Canadians outside the region so its not just immigrants who overlook it. Halifax has a lot going for it and is starting to show up on people's radar. Besides, no city grows fastest forever. Eventually other cities move to the forefront. Maybe it's Halifax's time to shine.
Yeah well I can say for certain that most immigrants I've met are absolutely in love with the scale of the city/scenery.

They detest the weather, relative to the rest of canada, and they hate feeling excluded economically.

However I can see both of these items being way more favourable in halifax.

However I can't imagine the place being poorly known.

My understanding is it's one of the best known places outside of the big four provinces.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Yeah well I can say for certain that most immigrants I've met are absolutely in love with the scale of the city/scenery.

They detest the weather, relative to the rest of canada, and they hate feeling excluded economically.

My understanding is it's one of the best known places outside of the big four provinces.
Not poorly known to Canadians, but to outsiders.

I could see how an immigrant from the Asia-Pacific region wouldn't have much of an idea about Halifax. It's not a major city in the world scheme of things.

From the other side of the coin, I don't know much about Chinese cities outside of Shanghai, Beijing, Xi'an or Shenzen, so I could see how smaller places in Canada aren't on immigrants' radar.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 9:20 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Not poorly known to Canadians, but to outsiders.

I could see how an immigrant from the Asia-Pacific region wouldn't have much of an idea about Halifax. It's not a major city in the world scheme of things.
I've been living in Toronto since 2001 and most people have a foggy notion of Halifax or no concept of the place whatsoever. There will always be some that know or have been, but the majority view doesn't go much beyond East coast, fish, and old. They wouldn't have heard of Dalhousie, know that Halifax is the size of Oshawa, that its full of navy/army personnel, has tons of university students, is prosperous, or that it's similar to New England in age/culture/appearance. On my recent trip to Vancouver, they knew even less. Somewhere in the east?

People on SSP aren't all that representative of the average person.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 9:49 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure immigrants are especially excluded economically. Employment rates for immigrants in Halifax are higher than the national average, as are incomes.

But as others said, I doubt many immigrants would have heard much, if anything, about any Canadian city beyond the big three. Even Vancouver is probably a pretty blank spot on the map for immigrants outside the Pacific Rim.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I'm not sure immigrants are especially excluded economically. Employment rates for immigrants in Halifax are higher than the national average, as are incomes.
I was referring to st john's.

MY point was that halifax doesn't have that problem, nor does it have the problem of bad weather.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I was referring to st john's.

MY point was that halifax doesn't have that problem, nor does it have the problem of bad weather.
Ah, sorry, missed that. Indeed, though I know lots of locals who'd disagree on the weather thing!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:57 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I've been living in Toronto since 2001 and most people have a foggy notion of Halifax or no concept of the place whatsoever.
I find that most people born in Canada know a little bit about Halifax, although some fall back on negative stereotypes about the region (this used to be worse). People born outside of Canada are less likely to know about it, unless they have some kind of interest in geography or went there for some reason. It was refreshing to occasionally talk to Americans or Europeans who asked me where I was from and then didn't assume a bunch of stuff about me (maybe based on stereotypes about Newfoundland that date back to the 80's or so).

I think a lot of average immigrants to Canada would find a higher standard of living in Halifax than they would in Toronto or Vancouver, mostly because of cheaper housing and shorter commutes. The downside is that, in many cases, they will not find as many locals who share their native culture and language. But they are likely to be welcomed generally and attain a good material standard of living. Traditionally, Halifax has been most popular with immigrants from the Middle East, Europe, and the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Ah, sorry, missed that. Indeed, though I know lots of locals who'd disagree on the weather thing!
It's not San Diego but I find that Haligonians have a warped sense of how bad the weather is there compared to other places. It's average or maybe on the slightly low side of average, particularly when you factor in how oppressively hot or dreary a lot of places can be. And nowhere in Canada is a big step up really.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Stats Can announced new numbers regarding fruit and vegetable consumption.

They measured the percentage who eat fruit or vegetables 5x daily. It ranges from 22.5% in NL to 38.8% in QC.

I'm almost afraid to ask... Do you people really eat fruit and vegetables five times a day? Even on a good, no junk food day I have it three times at most. At most lol. Who the **** is eating 5x daily?

We're too busy smoking. Latest numbers for that are out and they range from 24.4% in NL to 13.8% in BC.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Stats Can announced new numbers regarding fruit and vegetable consumption.

They measured the percentage who eat fruit or vegetables 5x daily. It ranges from 22.5% in NL to 38.8% in QC.

I'm almost afraid to ask... Do you people really eat fruit and vegetables five times a day? Even on a good, no junk food day I have it three times at most. At most lol. Who the **** is eating 5x daily?

We're too busy smoking. Latest numbers for that are out and they range from 24.4% in NL to 13.8% in BC.
Even the highest place (Quebec) is only a little more than 30%.

I probably get to five or more servings of fresh fruits/veggies most days, though not ALL days. Cooked counts, right? I assume they just mean not like, canned or whatever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada