HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 11:32 PM

I don't think putting up a cage would help in this particular incident...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 1:57 AM

bottom line: those girls need to be punished dearly and severly.

the justice system is way to liberal these days. paris, nicole, lindsay, and other obvious girls come to mind. think of the precedence it sets!!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 2:20 AM

Give the bus drivers guns, and the ability to use them when neccisary. Don't need a cage.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
bottom line: those girls need to be punished dearly and severly.

the justice system is way to liberal these days. paris, nicole, lindsay, and other obvious girls come to mind. think of the precedence it sets!!
Aren't your 2 statements both exactly what my point was? Yes, the girls need to be punished, BUT yes, the justice system is ineffective. So like I said, for us to say "what needs to happen is..." really doesn't change things: the justice system *is* too liberal!

Hence, the solution, since the justice system is unlikely to suddenly wake up and change, is to *protect the drivers*

And *that's* the bottom line.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 5:02 AM

I don't know too much about the cage. It seems a little extreme.

I doubt anyone who would assault a bus driver would be thinking about sentencing. Most of these people have problems that should have them inside an institution..

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 7:12 AM
with glowing hearts

not only that, but they're aboriginal...they don't pay any taxes, and yet they vandalize something they haven't even partially payed for.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 1:10 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Now let's look at some less depressing news:

City of North Vancouver is holding a Transportation Plan Open House on November 8, 2007 at 5:00 - 8:00 PM.

Issues that need to be solved include better transit routes from North Vancouver to Burnaby and East Vancouver, lack of transit serving communities, etc.

Presentation Boards
http://www.cnv.org/c//data/3/426/200...y%20Boards.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

City of Vancouver will also be asking the public for their input on M-Line extension. TransLink seems to be very interested in extending this route now, many spokespersons are speaking about this issue. Two options of the M-Line include:

1) M-Line along 10th Avenue
2) M-Line along Broadway

A) Elevated
B) Underground

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 1:45 AM

When and where will the CoV be asking for citizen input on these M-Line options? Surely not at the North Van event?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
When and where will the CoV be asking for citizen input on these M-Line options? Surely not at the North Van event?
here?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 3:44 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Sorry I forgot to put the link =P I think the website is by Sam Sullivan himself and not the city's. It's there to satisfy his own curiosity of how much people support this. Again, looks like Sullivan is taking a problem to his own hands...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 3:53 AM

Personally, I'm fine with the most cost effective route. I guess this would end up being a 10th ave bore/cut-and-cover option? I don't think residents would ever allow an elevated line into Point Grey, plus the grade is quite steep after Alma. What are everyone elses opinions?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 5:03 PM
loafing in lotusland

cut n' cover on tenth. NO question.

elevated after arbutus with the option for area residents to pay for the line to be buried using their taxes.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 9:05 PM

I agree - cut and cover along 10th Ave. - the cut and cover along the residential areas of Cambie went off smoothly and 10th Ave, is not a major corridor.
No businesses to be disrupted on 10th Ave. until you get up the hill to UBC past Alma and that'll be many years away in a final phase. i.e. it's a separate construction project unrelated to the inital phases.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 10:26 PM

At Alma I would elevate it and cut it up to 4th and on to UBC. I would then pressure the feds to give up their massive chunk of land for cheap and move their operations elsewhere. Then I would redevelop that in to a 20,000+ people community like the Fraser mills site but bigger because it would be planed along rapid transit. The skytrain line I would then ram down the throughts of the very few residents past jericho st(?) and then run it elevated along the golf course to UBC. The section of the golf course can be designed to blend in to the park so it can have living walls etc. installed on all the exposed concrete and the guideway can be covered in a tube to minimize noise.

By the way this got me thinking about costs, challenges etc. of installing a living surface on some of the current skytrain guide ways? It would make them look amazing and fit in to their surroundings much better, not to mention reduce noise pollution and reduce their environmental impact.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
At Alma I would elevate it and cut it up to 4th and on to UBC. I would then pressure the feds to give up their massive chunk of land for cheap and move their operations elsewhere. Then I would redevelop that in to a 20,000+ people community like the Fraser mills site but bigger because it would be planed along rapid transit. The skytrain line I would then ram down the throughts of the very few residents past jericho st(?) and then run it elevated along the golf course to UBC. The section of the golf course can be designed to blend in to the park so it can have living walls etc. installed on all the exposed concrete and the guideway can be covered in a tube to minimize noise.
I'm wondering... wouldn't it be better and cheaper to run it at-grade past Blanca?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 11:02 PM

I was wondering, while running it along 10th would the stations entrances be on 10th? becuase that would make little sense. I would hope if it were cut and cover that at least the station entrances be located on Broadway, even if the stations themselves were located on 10th.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 11:41 PM
Vancouver Moderator

No... Entrances are on broadway...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 12:16 AM
loafing in lotusland

10th Avenue is slightly higher than Broadway, so the stations would be at the end of ~100m long gently sloping ramps down to the platform level.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 3:09 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post

By the way this got me thinking about costs, challenges etc. of installing a living surface on some of the current skytrain guide ways? It would make them look amazing and fit in to their surroundings much better, not to mention reduce noise pollution and reduce their environmental impact.
It can't be elevated west of Alma, the grade is way too steep....it has to be tunneled. And you're thinking about putting a tunnel portal in the middle of West Point Grey Village? Good luck with that...

There's no such thing as Jericho Street, you're either talking about Blanca or Sasamat Street (where there will be a station).

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 3:12 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
I'm wondering... wouldn't it be better and cheaper to run it at-grade past Blanca?
there isn't that much of a difference in cost between at-grade and elevated if you add in the cost of transitions:

Underground east of Blanca -> Transition -> At-grade west of Blanca -> Transition -> Underground at UBC (the university would never allow an elevated SkyTrain station in the middle of the campus)

BTW, please move ALL M-Line extension discussion to its proper topic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure