HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 7:57 PM

Zones need to go, period.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
SCREW THE ZONES! Give us distance based fares!
That's what I thought. I'm seeing a lot of east-west travelers getting boned with that map. Frankly it again makes me think Burnaby and New West should be amalgamated into Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
That's what I thought. I'm seeing a lot of east-west travelers getting boned with that map. Frankly it again makes me think Burnaby and New West should be amalgamated into Vancouver.
Maybe even extend that amalgamation to Richmond. Someone who gets on at Bridgeport and works at Marine Drive shouldn't have to pay for 2 zones to cross the river.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 9:48 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Maybe even extend that amalgamation to Richmond. Someone who gets on at Bridgeport and works at Marine Drive shouldn't have to pay for 2 zones to cross the river.
if there is zones, there needs to be a line in the sand somewhere. and a natural water body is the perfect place for it. look at any boundary, they will almost always follow water if it is convenient. such as Canada/USA and a bunch of states.

its easy for people to see "river, barrier, boundary" it is a natural place to have one. Richmond is an island and is disconnected from Vancouver, unlike Burnaby and New Westminster.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
if there is zones, there needs to be a line in the sand somewhere. and a natural water body is the perfect place for it. look at any boundary, they will almost always follow water if it is convenient. such as Canada/USA and a bunch of states.

its easy for people to see "river, barrier, boundary" it is a natural place to have one. Richmond is an island and is disconnected from Vancouver, unlike Burnaby and New Westminster.
The logical zone areas are the Fraser River, Pitt River and Vancouver Harbour.

Because of the way the trains work, it doesn't make sense to have to cross two zones just to go one stop that is within walking distance (eg Patterson-Metrotown-Royal Oak, and Rupert-Gilmore.) Any future system, at least for the trains needs to either be distance based, or needs to be time based (which I'd say is slightly fairer, but that screws people who take slow routes.)

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:49 PM

... as in Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Zones need to go, period.
Here in Paris, the rough (though bigger) equivalent to the GVRD is Île-de France.
Just over a year ago, all 6 concentric zones, from zones 1 and 2 which made up Central paris, right out to the through the "rings at the perimeter (like Roissy CDG) were abolished.
The entire Île de France is now "Zoneless," and you pay the same wherever you go within the district, and it's a big district of 12 million people.
Not only that, but the basic "Passe Navigo" farecard, is only 3 €uros more than the basic, central zone card was. It's very fair; commuters are no longer penalized.

http://pssaintgermain.fr/wp-content/...e_zones1-6.gif

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 8:30 PM

I personally think, in terms of Xrayal's sadistic fantasy map, that a jump from Z1 to Z3 JUST by going across the inlet is really fucky indeed. Tis gross.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
I'll post this here:

http://vancouversun.com/news/politic...-subway-to-ubc

If everyone remembers, Mike Harcourt was Premier when the Skytrain opened for Expo 86, and was the Mayor of Vancouver previous to that.

He's not wrong, IMO. We are thinking too small, both with transit and development in Metro Vancouver.
Bill Bennett brought Expo 86 to Vancouver (including the Coquihalla and SkyTrain), then retired during Expo & Vander Zalm (mr faaaaaaan-taaaastik) became Socred leader and Premier. At the same time, Harcourt was Vancouver Mayor.

After Expo, Harcourt jumped to Prov politics and became leader of the NDP.

Socreds imploded in the '91 election (who can forget Fantasy Gardens, the Vander Zalm bags of money and the Faye Leung tapes? "You a bad Bad BAD MAN!!!!") and NDP swept to power with Harcourt as premier.

Last edited by jsbertram; Mar 20, 2017 at 10:00 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure