HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 1:56 PM

The SFPR aspect may be partly to do with the MoT, but the bizarre concept being proposed of having only the south bound lanes grade separated and the north bound lanes signalized at Royal Ave in New West is fully within Translink's control. The free-flow concept better be selected for the north approach.

Also, the survey is asking if another signalized intersection should be added at 125A street on the Surrey side..... another horrible spot for a signal.

So people, please fill out the survey asking the SFPR connection to be an interchange, for the free-flow north approach option to the chosen, and for 125 not be a signalized intersection.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 8:27 PM

Does this new design still call for the removal of the light at Highway 17 and Old Yale Road. That intersection is supposed to be temporary until the PB is built.

If a light is being added at 124 and Highway 17, is the intersection at Bridgeport and HWY 17 still needed?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malabrat View Post
Does this new design still call for the removal of the light at Highway 17 and Old Yale Road. That intersection is supposed to be temporary until the PB is built.

If a light is being added at 124 and Highway 17, is the intersection at Bridgeport and HWY 17 still needed?
Bridgeview is still needed because the north side of the intersection serves the industrial land on the River, and according to the new designs, there is not a connection from the SFPR to KGB SB. So Bridgeview serves as a link between Bridgeview and Whalley and the SFPR. With traffic to/from the Pattullo moved away from using the Bridgeport intersection, the lights there probably won't change very frequently. Sort of like the light at 116 Ave; I think in all my travels on the SFPR I've stopped at that light once, maybe twice.

I would think the intersection with the SFPR and Scott Road extension is MoT responsibility so Translink can't really presume what the MOT would do, so they went for designing worst case.

But seeing as it is only a 1 lane flyover that is needed, and seeing as they did do something similar with Richmond for the Nelson road interchange, I'm willing to bet that as construction nears they find the couple million it would take to build the simple flyover. It's still a long time out to say for certain it's going to be an intersection.

What I'm surprised by is that the Scott Road extension is only 1 lane each way between the SFPR and KGB. I would think it would be 2 lanes at least SB so that if traffic is queued for the bridge, traffic bound for Scott Road could get past.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 11:23 PM
SkyTrain Nut

17 around the Burns Bog stretch is currently closed due to another fire burning.

Image courtesy of CTV

Quote:
art of Hwy. 17 was completely shut down when winds spread the fire in that direction, and smoke could be seen billowing up from the road.

- http://bc.ctvnews.ca/fire-crews-batt...-bog-1.2971256
Hmm, I wonder how many months it will burn for this time?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 2:59 AM

Here are some photos from the Burns Bog fire aftermath. The fire got started near these four antennas and one of them collapsed from the heat.

You can tell the burned bog and forest from the red tone.

Strong winds caused the fire to jump the four-lane highway and almost burned down the industrial area next door. It is incredible how the fire stopped (or the firefighters managed to stop it) just meters from the containers.

Traffic lights in this intersection are functional although the fire burned all around it.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 2:28 AM

Open Graded Friction Course

This is a little behind the times but I found this video in my archive that shows the noise reduction advantage of using an open graded friction course (OGFC) wearing course asphalt versus a traditional dense graded hot mix asphalt. You may have noted in several areas along the SFPR that during a rainfall event the road is quieter or the splash from other vehicles onto your windshield is less. This is because the aggregate structure provides a higher degree permeability as the structure is open graded (missing some intermediate sizes) allowing water to flow through this layer of pavement reducing the water on the surface. The permeability also increases the frictional behavior during wet weather and reduces the dangers of splash and spray and hydroplaning due to increased drainage from the pavement surface. The main reason it was used on SFPR was because it is quieter than typical pavements and it was used in areas with homes nearby to reduce the traffic noise during rainfall events. Unfortunately the life of OGFC is generally not as long, though special measures were taken on the SFPR to try to improve durability. Listen closely, cause my engine is kinda loud.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renthefinn View Post
You may have noted in several areas along the SFPR that during a rainfall event the road is quieter or the splash from other vehicles onto your windshield is less. This is because the aggregate structure provides a higher degree permeability as the structure is open graded (missing some intermediate sizes) allowing water to flow through this layer of pavement reducing the water on the surface.
Very interesting, thanks for the video and the description.

I assume that the higher permeability would be problematic in a colder climate because permeated water that freezes seems like it could cause a lot of damage.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Very interesting, thanks for the video and the description.

I assume that the higher permeability would be problematic in a colder climate because permeated water that freezes seems like it could cause a lot of damage.
Yes, that is correct, this so far has been one of the largest uses of the material in BC to date. It was also used on the sea to sky, but with the colder temperatures there I think it may have problems earlier. There is actually two different OGFC mixes used on the SFPR, as the very east end of the project was completed by TI corp to tie into the PMHwy1 project. Most of it was placed west of their section and is a slightly more sophisticated design.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 7:24 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renthefinn View Post
Yes, that is correct, this so far has been one of the largest uses of the material in BC to date. It was also used on the sea to sky, but with the colder temperatures there I think it may have problems earlier. There is actually two different OGFC mixes used on the SFPR, as the very east end of the project was completed by TI corp to tie into the PMHwy1 project. Most of it was placed west of their section and is a slightly more sophisticated design.
They only used it in Lions Bay on S2S. Just to keep the noise down.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 11:40 PM

No rain, no traffic on the Pattullo, little traffic on the 91/Nordel.

Congestion at the Sunbury intersection is being caused by the stoplight. Whether it should be timed differently or what, I don't know.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.1472.../data=!5m1!1e1

Last edited by makr3trkr; Aug 30, 2016 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 11:52 PM

Some new cameras on the widened highway 17:
http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayca...l/www/717.html

Still wonder why they couldn't have extended the six lane section a few hundred meters from 56th:

to the 17A split:

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 1:28 AM

There hasn't been any trucks tipping over anymore. What fixed the issue? Did the reduce the speed limit and people obeyed?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makr3trkr View Post
Some new cameras on the widened highway 17:
http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayca...l/www/717.html

Still wonder why they couldn't have extended the six lane section a few hundred meters from 56th:
Or for that matter extend the southbound passing lane to the ferry terminal. Only in BC would you widen a highway to 3 lanes in one direction then have it go down to 1 lane for less than 1/2 km before it going back to 2 lanes toward the ferry.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malabrat View Post
Or for that matter extend the southbound passing lane to the ferry terminal. Only in BC would you widen a highway to 3 lanes in one direction then have it go down to 1 lane for less than 1/2 km before it going back to 2 lanes toward the ferry.
At the same time the ministry is finally putting an interchange on Highway 91, we are now facing the prospect of a new (signalized) left on the SFPR.

I don't see how anyone could propose this with a straight face.

The intersection is in a bend, and it's acting as an extension of the onramp to the bridge. So it's either going to back up quickly onto the highway itself, or there's going to be a major accident, or both.

Either:
a) make people use Bridgeview instead
or
b) build an overpass (which still doesn't solve the issue of traffic spilling onto the SFPR)

http://www.translink.ca/-/media/Docu...on%20Guide.pdf

Last edited by makr3trkr; Sep 3, 2016 at 9:19 PM.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure