HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 4:27 AM

If this line is to open in 2014, the Project Office had better get moving
on further test drilling for the Clarke Road tunnel. The previous tunnel study
(done in 1999, I believe) recommended further test drilling for the deepest
sections to determine if there is any bedrock at those depths. This would
then determine the type of tunnel boring machine that would be required.
I would guess that the lead time for aquiring the TBM is long, and I calculate
that the 2km dual tunnel would take about 400 days to bore (based on 10m
per day progress).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 4:52 AM
with glowing hearts

^ still plenty of time, considering the late-2010 construction start will likely only be preliminary construction and preparation work. Actual major construction probably wouldn't even begin until mid-2011.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 5:21 AM

So much for "shovel ready" If they really busted their humps they could be starting preliminary construction by the end of the year (I seem to remember Falcon spitballing about it starting possibly this summer a couple months ago, the time frame has been pushed back to far for my liking.) 1.5 years to start preliminary construction does not seem shovel ready at all. Highway 1's timeframe in my mind is what is meant by shovel ready.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 7:47 AM
zoom zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELWHEELS View Post
I would guess that the lead time for aquiring the TBM is long, and I calculate
that the 2km dual tunnel would take about 400 days to bore (based on 10m
per day progress).
I believe the plan at one point was to use the TBM from the Canada Line to bore the tunnel for the Evergreen.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 7:51 AM
with glowing hearts

Actually, I believe it's a 3-km tunnel.

I wonder if the boring machine will be one big one to bore both tracks or one smaller one like the Canada Line to bore two smaller tunnels. There would definitely be enough mileage left over from a new machine to use it again for the UBC extension, immediately.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 8:31 PM

At one time RTPO 2000 was going to buy the boring machine(s) from the Sheppard Line in Toronto for use on the PMC Line.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 10:58 PM
A.H.-Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
The Ioco station would be directly next to the Sutter Brook development, which is the same size as the Newport village with towers and retail. That is just one block south of newport. So the person would just have to walk about one block to get to newport from the Ioco station, and only cross one road
It's also easier for members of the UN gang to pop the Bacons and make their escapes should the older one remains in Sutter Brook.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 11:00 PM
loafing in lotusland

Interesting thoughts.

Here's one... if they put in a station at Cameron... what zone would it be in? It would be on the boundary, either in the median or on the Burnaby side... but if it was in Zone 2, people coming from the tri-cities can't travel the whole evergreen line without upzoning. If it's Zone-3, people in the Cameron area can't get to Lougheed without upzoning.

I'm thinking Zone-2 would make more sense as it's more a Burnaby station than Coquitlam... but Lougheed is a bus terminal for Coquitlam and Burnaby.

It COULD be a Zone 2/3 station, meaning when you buy a ticket it asks you which zone you would like, but disembarking passengers from both zones could get off there.

Ahh... these are the problems that a zone system opens up.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 11:00 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik-E-Mart View Post
It's also easier for members of the UN gang to pop the Bacons and make their escapes should the older one remains in Sutter Brook.
Yeah... because we all know that Gangsters use transit.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
Interesting thoughts.

Here's one... if they put in a station at Cameron... what zone would it be in? It would be on the boundary, either in the median or on the Burnaby side... but if it was in Zone 2, people coming from the tri-cities can't travel the whole evergreen line without upzoning. If it's Zone-3, people in the Cameron area can't get to Lougheed without upzoning.

I'm thinking Zone-2 would make more sense as it's more a Burnaby station than Coquitlam... but Lougheed is a bus terminal for Coquitlam and Burnaby.

It COULD be a Zone 2/3 station, meaning when you buy a ticket it asks you which zone you would like, but disembarking passengers from both zones could get off there.

Either way, going from Coquitlam to Lougheed would be 2 zones as it is always 2 zones to get to Lougheed Station on the 97. In fact, Lougheed is the only zone 2 stop on the 97. Cameron should be zone 2/3 (zone 3 for eastbound platform and zone 2 for westbound platform, just like the current 97 - you just need a different set of machines for different platform), Lougheed should be zone 2, Burquitlam should be zone 3.

Cameron is not the only one that have problem. If you go to Braid station, Bay 1 to 5 are in zone 3, but Bay 6 and Skytrain are in zone 2. So don't try to buy a ticket at the Skytrain station and thinking that you can use it to ride a bus to Coquitlam - it won't work.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 11:18 PM

Well, at one point they may have. At least the gangsta wannabes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg9-dn_LcDo

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 11:52 PM

The zone system is retarded at best, but on a different note, is there any idea where the new OMC yard is going to be placed?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 12:24 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Either way, going from Coquitlam to Lougheed would be 2 zones as it is always 2 zones to get to Lougheed Station on the 97. In fact, Lougheed is the only zone 2 stop on the 97. Cameron should be zone 2/3 (zone 3 for eastbound platform and zone 2 for westbound platform, just like the current 97 - you just need a different set of machines for different platform), Lougheed should be zone 2, Burquitlam should be zone 3.
Good points. Thanks for that. In these stations, the machines should be configured to ask which zone the person wants.
Quote:
Cameron is not the only one that have problem. If you go to Braid station, Bay 1 to 5 are in zone 3, but Bay 6 and SkyTrain are in zone 2. So don't try to buy a ticket at the SkyTrain station and thinking that you can use it to ride a bus to Coquitlam - it won't work.
I've seen this happen. It's rather silly, really. The station is physically in Zone 2, but the Coquitlam buses can't go one stop without entering Zone 3 anyhow. The machines, however, accept credit cards and bank cards, while buses do not.

However, it's less of a problem because the vast majority of people who originate their trip at Braid are not walking to the station, but arriving from the Train or the bus.

These would be issues at Cameron Station... or for that matter, are currently a problem for Lougheed.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 12:27 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post

Best. Video. Evar.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 12:50 AM
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
Best. Video. Evar.
aaaaaaaaaahahahaha

king george to waterfront / smokin on a lotta blunts

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 1:26 AM

o/~ even if you in the Benz I remember you were riding on the *skytrain chimes* o/~

but the song does condone getting a ride for free....

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 7:12 PM

I went to the site office last week, nothing really there as of yet that we have not seen on this thread, but i did give them an earful of what i think about the development of the line. Such as recommending that the line should open with 8 stations, and those two extra stations should be at Cameron and beside Coquitlam Center, not in Poco (there is no need for poco to have 3 stations) etc...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Interesting thoughts.

This happens a lot in Europe. If you check out the London Underground Map, you'll see that some stations are in both zones. So if you start or end your trip at one of these stations, you can travel to or from either zone for the one zone fare.

Check out the LU map at the following link and look at stations in the Northwest - Moor Park, Hendon Central, Willingdon Green, Hampstead and many others around the network - they're all in both zones.

http://www.tourstolondon.co.uk/londo...ground-map.gif

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 7:31 PM

Distance based is the only way to go, just like driving a car, the further you travel the more you pay.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 9:01 PM

Yep, and all possible with in/out faregates, like in many other places. Living on the border sucks, I did it living around Lougheed Mall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure