HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 2:31 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

With the New Year coming up and this thread still planned to be closed forever, I would like to repost perhaps my greatest contribution to the Evergreen Line project which has been a huge part of my life.

Back in July 11, 2011, there was a distinct possibility that this project, despite the sheer effort made by so many people to get this off the ground, may not go into fruition due to Premier Christy Clark's politicking with the mayors regarding its funding mechanism. So a few forumers rallied a letter writing campaign to convince her to move forward with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
Indeed! Thanks for the links, racc. Here is mine...

Quote:
Dear Premier Clark,

I read an article in News 1130 indicating that you are not supportive of the gas tax hike being proposed by the Mayor's council with absolute disappointment. Being a former MLA for Port Moody, I am surprised that you would tolerate the possibility of even more delays on this already long overdue project. Furthermore, it is your government that insists that the mayors raise the funds for their share despite their extremely limited abilities.

The Mayor's Council has done its best despite insurmountable barriers imposed by your government to come up with a solution for the regional share of $400 million. And when they finally have a solution, its not good enough?

The gas tax is the one that makes the most sense as it does discourage excessive fuel consumption and encourages people to drive less, have more fuel efficient vehicles, and plan their trips more efficiently.

We all know taxes in whatever shape or form will go up regardless as our population increases, hence demand for services will surely rise. For a mere 2 cents a litre, one of the single most contentious transportation projects of the Greater Vancouver area that's been delayed for the last two decades can finally move forward.

Frankly, I am sick and tired of all this politicking! Whether it is the BC NDP or the BC Liberals in power, the Evergreen Line never gets done!

Then BC NDP Premier Ujjal Dosanjh backed away from a measly $75 vehicle levy that could have ensured completion of the Evergreen Line (known as Port Moody - Coquitlam Line) back then, as well as solved the chronic funding issues Translink has been having for the past decade. Judging by your comments shown today, it looks like you are following his footsteps.

Its time you show true leadership and make the tough decisions to get on with the very absolutely necessary Evergreen Line project....NOW!

Regards,
I encourage everyone to write the premier and copy your MLAs.
I sent my letter to Premier Clark and copied MP James Moore, the BC Liberal Party President (I was a member) and Coquitlam Council but forgot to include Transport Minister Blair Lekstrom. I later got a reply from the Premier's office acknowledging it but also stating that they are sharing it with the Transport Minister, which indicated that it wasn't an auto-reply email.

Quote:
Thank you for your email regarding the Evergreen Line and the proposed TransLink gas tax. We appreciate your input.

This is just a note to let you know that your correspondence has been shared with the Honourable Blair Lekstrom, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure, for his review. He will ensure that your comments are included in ongoing discussions.

Again, thank you for writing.
I dunno if my letter or the others sent by SSP forumers made a difference but a couple of days later, Premier Clark did change her mind and backtracked on her threats.

In any case, I would like to thank everyone here who for one reason or the other, contributed to making the Evergreen Line possible!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
This weather kind of made the Evergreen opening anticlimactic for me. Also, the timing in December. I liked it when the Millennium Line opened. It was a nice day as I remember it. Also, the Canada Line, it was sunny and warm.
I guess it will be memorable in another way. So in the distant future you can say: "I was there on the first day, back when the M Line extension opened, and boy was the weather miserable. You know they used call it the Evergreen Extension."

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
I dunno if my letter or the others sent by SSP forumers made a difference but a couple of days later, Premier Clark did change her mind and backtracked on her threats.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I've e-mailed TransLink enough that they're probably sick of me - but they've slowly started making some of the route changes I've suggested. I also brought it up with Burnaby staff, who liked some of my ideas and were going to press TransLink about them.

Never underestimate the power of speaking up to the powers that be.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 7:09 AM

movin' on ..........

I think the Evergreen Line, and the way it has opened up the Northeast quadrant of metro, is fantastic. It is a region that might have been overlooked, but not now.
That said, with this thread closing happily, I am hoping that greater focus will be henceforth placed on the Broadway extension. That is a vitally important skytrain component.
There will no doubt be the usual funding hassles and politicking over it, but think how it will move people, plus dynamize the city's economy. Great things ahead.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 3:25 AM

NYC Subway extension won't open this year.

For those of you who were moaning and groaning about how long the Evergreen Extension took to build, be thankful you're not a New Yorker living on the Upper East Side.

For over 90 years there has been a dream of a Second Avenue subway line to run parallel with the Lexington line on the east side of Manhattan. Through depressions, wars, demolition of the elevated lines, and bankruptcies, this kept getting 'deferred' because it was always unaffordable. Bonds were let to built it in the 50's, but that money was used instead for upkeep of the rest of the subway system. Construction was actually started in the 70's, only the be halted again during the NYC bankruptcy crisis.

Finally, after 10 years and about $4 1/2 Billion, this Sunday the first three new stations (and one renovated station) of the Second Avenue Subway from 63 St to 96 St will be open to the public.

But only between 6am and 10pm because the stations are still unfinished.

The next three phases extending the Second Avenue subway line north to Harlem and south to Wall St are on the wish-list, but without funding.

Future extensions of this line to Queens, Bronx, and Brooklyn?
fuhgeddaboudit!

http://gothamist.com/2016/12/21/2nd_...ay_history.php

NYTimes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/28/ny...av=bottom-well

A local resident started this construction blog in 2007 :
http://thelaunchbox.blogspot.ca/

Last edited by jsbertram; Dec 31, 2016 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 1:44 AM

The thread closes tomorrow! I hope that everyone enjoys the new year!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 3:16 AM

i finally got to ride it today. It was nice and quicker than driving to the mall for me. I noticed at Lougheed station, headed to commercial, about 40 to 50% got off the train and went over and got on the expo line, I don't know if that's typical or not. I was surprised that all the stations had a good amount of people getting on and off.

I did overhear some confusion at Lougheed station when I got off about where do we catch the expo line now, they must have been just trying it out and were not transit users at all, cause the expo train was at the platform and they just kinda stood there all puzzled.

Last edited by SpongeG; Jan 1, 2017 at 9:57 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 9:06 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 10:23 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Boom. (Technically they could still close the thread on Dec. 31 2017)

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 11:53 AM

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I was surprised that all the stations had a good amount of people getting on and off.
Based on my own observation from about 50 rides during off-peak, the station usage is something like:

Lincoln > Lafarge > Coquitlam > Burquitlam >> Inlet > Moody

The first four stations are pretty similar actually.. usually got 10-20 people getting on/off per train. The two stations in Port Moody seems more deserted with probably around 5 on/offs...

As for half of the riders switch train at Lougheed - I think that happens more on the weekends/holidays than weekdays. On weekdays, the vast majority stayed on the train.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 2:42 AM

Jan. 1, 2017 Pictures

I rode on the line for the first time today, from Lougheed to Lafarge and back. Was pleasantly surprised by how busy it was on a Sunday afternoon.

This is outside my neck of the woods so it was basically all brand new to me.

Pictures for anyone interested:

https://goo.gl/photos/WADf7b22j1GsZ1ts5

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 2:53 AM

So, many of you know I'm very interested in the technical aspects of SkyTrain, stemming mostly from my background as a computer programmer to understand how things work and why things break the way they do. There is one piece of Evergreen knowledge that I'm still trying to get, and in theory it's not difficult to obtain:

Halfway through the tunnel, there's some sort of eletrical box near the ceiling on both the inbound and the outbound. There is a yellow sticker on the box with a red lightning bolt and 5 letters. The boxes seem to be installed backwards, so you can only see the sticker out of the back window of the train. It's extremely hard to read while the train is moving at full speed and everything is tinted red by the rear exterior train lights.
If anyone happens to see what those 5 letters are (on either box), that would complete the missing piece in my puzzle

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
So, many of you know I'm very interested in the technical aspects of SkyTrain, stemming mostly from my background as a computer programmer to understand how things work and why things break the way they do. There is one piece of Evergreen knowledge that I'm still trying to get, and in theory it's not difficult to obtain:

Halfway through the tunnel, there's some sort of eletrical box near the ceiling on both the inbound and the outbound. There is a yellow sticker on the box with a red lightning bolt and 5 letters. The boxes seem to be installed backwards, so you can only see the sticker out of the back window of the train. It's extremely hard to read while the train is moving at full speed and everything is tinted red by the rear exterior train lights.
If anyone happens to see what those 5 letters are (on either box), that would complete the missing piece in my puzzle
Video with some details of the line from one of the guys working on the project during the testing trials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyXsLezt5vs

Isn't it the same yellow/red stickers along the track like ESO... next to the line at various intervals?

He also mentions in the video there are empty brackets on the wall in the tunnel for Rogers to install cellular phone service in the tunnels. Not sure if this was already installed.

EDIT: Just noticed from snaveed's photos that the code seems to change on the different boxes.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
He also mentions in the video there are empty brackets on the wall in the tunnel for Rogers to install cellular phone service in the tunnels. Not sure if this was already installed.
I had an eye out for those cables in the tunnel and they are both installed now. However I had zero bars while in the tunnel with Fido.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 5:15 AM

those are disconnect switches, usually where there are switches. Not sure about the tunnel ones... no switches there.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothediu View Post
those are disconnect switches, usually where there are switches. Not sure about the tunnel ones... no switches there.
Yeah, they tend to be around track switches so that they can powered down the guideway on one side of the switch while still letting trains pass through the switch for single-tracking.

The ones in the tunnel might be grounding switches, but the location doesn't make a lot of sense for them either

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 7:38 PM

GSB = General Service Board

The one in the tunnel would be for the lighting.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
GSB = General Service Board

The one in the tunnel would be for the lighting.
SkyTrain's initalisms for things rarely match up with anyone else's initialisms for the same things.
GSBQO = Grounding Switch at Burquitlam Outbound
ESMCI = Electrical disconnect Switch near Moody Centre Inbound

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure