HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 5:12 AM

At least they should start working on the third platform for Lougheed station now...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 4:26 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ I wonder how it would look like??

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 5:36 PM

^^^ Better? lol. It could probably use a good pressure washing.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:00 PM

Can this topic be moved passed "Proposed" yet? All of the funding is in place right?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:02 PM
zoom zoom

AFAIK it's still 173 million short

And we don't have an official SSP designation that goes between Proposed and U/C - see: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=137997

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
^ I wonder how it would look like??
Here are pics of a model of the originally proposed configuration for the PMC Line at the Model Shop website.
It shows the turnout for the tracks heading up North Road (as well as the third platform).

http://www.modelshop.bc.ca/porty2/fi...021/4021-1.htm

Model from the other direction:

Last edited by officedweller; Sep 16, 2014 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 9:53 PM

i stil understand the platform

If i am coming from braid - I have to exit at the station as it is now - walk downstairs and than back up stairs to the new added on platform? and vice versa if i am coming from coq centre and want to go to braid?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i stil understand the platform

If i am coming from braid - I have to exit at the station as it is now - walk downstairs and than back up stairs to the new added on platform? and vice versa if i am coming from coq centre and want to go to braid?
I think you only need to walk down and back up if you're going to Coquitlam.

From the last image, if you label the platform from left to right as 1, 2, and 3, I think platform 1 goes toward Braid, platform 2 goes toward VCC-Clark, and platform 3 goes toward Coquitlam. The stacked configuration for the turn is probably for the inbound and outbound track to switch position when coming into Lougheed station.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 10:08 PM

how convenient

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 10:30 PM

I don't think the stacked guideways basketweave to switch sides - otherwise the eastbound trains would have to switch over level tracks west of the station to reach that 3rd platform.

I think the stacking is to allow both guideways to adopt the same (or similar) radius of curvature for the turn. It's a very very tight turn.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 10:39 PM

so when will demo start on some of the buildings?

i think that garage next to the white spot has to be removed - i think i remember seeing a layout and that building was gone

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I don't think the stacked guideways basketweave to switch sides - otherwise the eastbound trains would have to switch over level tracks west of the station to reach that 3rd platform.

I think the stacking is to allow both guideways to adopt the same (or similar) radius of curvature for the turn. It's a very very tight turn.
If you look closely at the last photo, there is indeed a switch. The last pillar in the photo is directly below the upper deck while it is on the east side of lower deck. By switching side, there will only be 1 at-grade switchover at the west side of the station instead of 2.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
AFAIK it's still 173 million short

And we don't have an official SSP designation that goes between Proposed and U/C - see: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=137997
Ahhh the rules... what would we be without rules? Complete savages I'm sure.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
If you look closely at the last photo, there is indeed a switch. The last pillar in the photo is directly below the upper deck while it is on the east side of lower deck. By switching side, there will only be 1 at-grade switchover at the west side of the station instead of 2.
I view that as just alligning the guideways on top of each other to follow the same curve through the turn. We don't know whether, when they come out of the curve on North Road, they switch sides or return to their original sides.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Correct. An eastbound train approaching Lougheed, bound for Coquitlam Centre would cross onto the westbound track briefly, then switch onto the Coquiltam Centre platform of Lougheed Station. Then after leaving the station, would curve and rise, turning onto the North Road alignment, crossing over the westbound track right around the White Spot location,
thus restoring "right side of the road" orientation.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 12:35 AM
zoom zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Ahhh the rules... what would we be without rules? Complete savages I'm sure.
Hey! Don't forget to cite that smiley!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 3:52 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Thanks for the pics of the models officerdweller!

The stacked configuration at the turn looks great!

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELWHEELS View Post
Correct. An eastbound train approaching Lougheed, bound for Coquitlam Centre would cross onto the westbound track briefly, then switch onto the Coquiltam Centre platform of Lougheed Station. Then after leaving the station, would curve and rise, turning onto the North Road alignment, crossing over the westbound track right around the White Spot location,
thus restoring "right side of the road" orientation.
What doesn't make sense to me is that they would go to the expense of a basketweave flyover for one movement
involving a bidirectional traffic on the 3rd platform when there are level crossings east of the station that allow use
of the existing centre platform and switching to access the Coquitlam line.

This was my guess at the possible train movements from a few years ago:

BTW - one key point to note is that during construction of Lougheed station an "X" switch east of the station
was replaced with two "Y" switches to perform the same movements. The original plan for an "X" switch provides
insight as to the planned movements.

Last edited by officedweller; Apr 30, 2009 at 7:37 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 10:46 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Lougheed Station's switches and routing options are difficult for to understand, even with the the diagram. The only explanation that makes any sense to me is that they designed it so that all 6 of those options were possible so that what ever direction and frequency they run the trains in the future the station would not be a choke point. I don't know if I will believe any explanation until I'm standing on the platform. It would only make sense to use the centre platform to allow people to transfer from evergreen to millennium lines without having to go up and down the stairs. I thought that was the purpose of using a central platform in a transfer station.

This is in stark contrast to Columbia station, which has no options, although I know it was not designed to be a transfer station.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:40 PM

Agreed - it would have been designed to allow for as many options as possible.

Note, however, that when the station was reoriented the logistics of a through route from Columbia to Coquitlam became more complex (and more unlikely if short headways are to be maintained). Lougheed Station was originally supposed to be oriented north-south next to the Lougheed Mall parkade to facilitate a through route from Columbia to Coquitlam (i.e. the wye would have faced to the south and the combined service leg would have been from Lougheed to Coquitlam), but the phasing of the M-Line would have meant that the station would have been on a "T" and trains would have had to enter and reverse to move through the station, so the station was built east-west and the wye faces east with the combined service leg being VCC-Lougheed. While that is probably more consistent with passenger volumes, it doesn't serve the Livable Region Strategic Plan as well, which specified a more convenient rapid transit connection from Coquitlam to Surrey.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure