HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
The bridge was not designed for any kind of rail rapid transit. Whether it could take the load, I have no idea, but it was not part of the design scope of what was built.
Wasn't one of the political promises made during the Gateway Program consultation was that this bridge would be compatible for LRT in the future?

(Also, I know that they really left no room for such a move... so a lane would have to be taken away for LRT to go in. This is actually doable right now with current traffic volumes, but not so once the bridge reaches and pasees what it had carried previously.)

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Wasn't one of the political promises made during the Gateway Program consultation was that this bridge would be compatible for LRT in the future?

(Also, I know that they really left no room for such a move... so a lane would have to be taken away for LRT to go in. This is actually doable right now with current traffic volumes, but not so once the bridge reaches and pasees what it had carried previously.)
Was one of the many cuts to the projecy after being awarded to the kiewet partnership. We got a new bridge instead of the twin bridge. lots of cuts were made

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
The bridge was not designed for any kind of rail rapid transit. Whether it could take the load, I have no idea, but it was not part of the design scope of what was built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
With the Skytrain Bridge to the west at New Westminster; I'm sure this lessened the need for LRT on the bridge. Whether it would still be useful to have that on the bridge I'll leave up to the experts.
Anyway, the Bay Bridge in SF in 10 lanes and so is this, so there seems a fair bit of capacity here already.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 8:37 PM
from the inside out

Yes it was talked about early on. And yes, it was a dumb idea given the skybridge next door. And yes, it was dropped from the scope of the project fairly early.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 9:18 PM

What would be more useful is another rail bridge but alas, there seems to be no political will to replace the existing swing bridge.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 8:08 AM

Bridge deck repairs on the PMB has really caused big time issues. Those heading into Burnaby and Vancouver are being forced to detour via Lougheed Hwy onto the Brunette Interchange.

All this came without any warning. Apparantly this is the start of more repairs.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 8:47 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Bridge deck repairs on the PMB has really caused big time issues. Those heading into Burnaby and Vancouver are being forced to detour via Lougheed Hwy onto the Brunette Interchange.

All this came without any warning. Apparantly this is the start of more repairs.
On the Port Mann or Pattullo bridge?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
On the Port Mann or Pattullo bridge?
Port Mann. They have shut down the westbound throughlanes this evening.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 9:00 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Port Mann. They have shut down the westbound throughlanes this evening.
Weird. It's so new, I wonder what the deal is.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
Weird. It's so new, I wonder what the deal is.
Better be under warranty.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 9:01 PM

Port Mann Bridge just before sunrise and then right after it, bathing in golden morning light. Sorry about the crane in the second photo, but it was too time-consuming to remove it from the photo. I just love the layers off mountains in the background.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 10:01 PM

Over 150 Walnut Grove residents in Langley protest 216th interchange project
http://globalnews.ca/news/2946644/ov...hange-project/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 4:57 AM
waves

Just read the article and looked at googlemaps. From what I can tell 217th street looks like it doesn't even exist. Why would they build an interchange to an no-existant street. I agree with MOTI on this one that the intersection should be at 216th.

However, I do not agree that adding more interchanges to an already congested highway, will make traffic better. More merging = slower traffic. The third lane will be greatly appreciated through that section though

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 6:38 AM

I hope this interchange is good and busy by taking away a bunch of traffic from the 200th gong show interchange.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 4:05 AM

I am sure you are already bored of this view, but the different light just makes everything so special. And now the crane is gone.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 2:55 PM

Very nice pic Klaus

I have a question why did the off ramp at grandview never get repaired. Was stuck in traffic this week and noticed that in several places the hand rail pillars are decayed to the point they added some scrap hand rails over top to support them.

And also to there was a ton of scrsap material left along the right away. signage old silt fence etc

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
I have a question why did the off ramp at grandview never get repaired. Was stuck in traffic this week and noticed that in several places the hand rail pillars are decayed to the point they added some scrap hand rails over top to support them.
Probably because the postponement of the collector/express system at Willingdon meant it didn't need to be replaced
(i.e. the overpass span was wide enough for the planned lanes below).
It'll probably stand in the way of the collector/express configuration when that is eventually built.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 12:16 PM
Vancouver Moderator

As construction work is largely complete this thread will be closed. For continued discussion on this project, please use the general Metro Vancouver Road Transport thread.

Thank you.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure