HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 8:00 AM
Maersk Maersk is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Sprawl as in.
My comment was directed at Van. I agree with you that I don't think we have sprawl. But I disagree that we know how to plan.
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 9:04 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Currently, in both directions, traffic slows down too quickly (seeing brake lights are common) due to the close proximity of the on/off ramps of the closely spaced interchanges with the concurrent weaving.
The voice-over on that video raises the concerns that you've raised, so hopefully having 6 thru lanes with longer merge and exit ramps will address it. The TCH overpass over Lougheed Highway is probably the sticking point for making a continuous merge lane from the Boundary on-ramp to the 1st Ave off-ramp (i.e. that overpass would need to have 4 lanes westbound in order to do so).
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 5:07 PM
hollywoodnorth's Avatar
hollywoodnorth hollywoodnorth is offline
Blazed Member - Citygater
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 5,410
hmmm question RE the 156th St Under pass.....in the link below it shows a Bus Interchange there.........did they build that? or? as I know the underpass is finished correct? or was the Bus interchange roughed in and left for the province to do via the gateway project itself?

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/gateway/info...ption=156%20St.
__________________
http://www.votesmartbc.com
http://www.riskydix.ca
http://www.dixshiddenplan.ca

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 5:12 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 29,235
its not built looks easy enough to add in but its not built
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 5:27 PM
ambaUp ambaUp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
hmmm question RE the 156th St Under pass.....in the link below it shows a Bus Interchange there.........did they build that? or? as I know the underpass is finished correct? or was the Bus interchange roughed in and left for the province to do via the gateway project itself?

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/gateway/info...ption=156%20St.
No, they didn't build it yet. They just left room so that the province can build it in the future. Here's a video of someone driving under it.
Video Link
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 5:42 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 29,235
big cement block wall starting to go up at the cape horn where they were clearing
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 6:48 PM
Stingray2004's Avatar
Stingray2004 Stingray2004 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: White Rock, BC (Metro Vancouver)
Posts: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The TCH overpass over Lougheed Highway is probably the sticking point for making a continuous merge lane from the Boundary on-ramp to the 1st Ave off-ramp (i.e. that overpass would need to have 4 lanes westbound in order to do so).
Yeah, I realize the overpass would need to be widened. But that shouldn't be much of a biggy. Said expansion would be similar to the expansion of the TCH-1 overpass over the rail tracks (east of Cariboo) during the late 1990's.

Or the current expansion of the Hwy 99 overpass northbound over the rail tracks (south of Cambie Road) as part of the HOV/rapid bus lane expansion.
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 7:08 PM
Stingray2004's Avatar
Stingray2004 Stingray2004 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: White Rock, BC (Metro Vancouver)
Posts: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maersk View Post
Was just snooping around the Fort McMurray Construction thread. Apparently an area in ALberta called Wood Buffalo is getting a 10 lane highway. Anyone else puzzled at the fact that they're getting one before Metro Vancouver is?
To be more precise, it's an upgrade to a 6-lane freeway in an urban area that is utilized by both thru traffic and local traffic. And on both sides of the freeway one-way, 2-lane service roads will also be constructed connecting with local streets and signalized intersections.

Kinda reminds me of the TCH-1 upgrade through Malakwa (east of Sicamous, BC) during the mid-1980's. They upgraded the 2-lane TCH-1 to a 4-lane expressway standard with 2-lane service roads on either side.

People were referring to it as an 8 - lane freeway.
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 7:22 PM
hollywoodnorth's Avatar
hollywoodnorth hollywoodnorth is offline
Blazed Member - Citygater
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 5,410
thx everyone
__________________
http://www.votesmartbc.com
http://www.riskydix.ca
http://www.dixshiddenplan.ca

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 3:13 AM
Millennium2002 Millennium2002 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
To be more precise, it's an upgrade to a 6-lane freeway in an urban area that is utilized by both thru traffic and local traffic. And on both sides of the freeway one-way, 2-lane service roads will also be constructed connecting with local streets and signalized intersections.

Kinda reminds me of the TCH-1 upgrade through Malakwa (east of Sicamous, BC) during the mid-1980's. They upgraded the 2-lane TCH-1 to a 4-lane expressway standard with 2-lane service roads on either side.

People were referring to it as an 8 - lane freeway.
The other reason for this is Fort McMurray is also the centre of that province's oil sands production.

- Allan Kuan
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 5:13 AM
Spork's Avatar
Spork Spork is offline
Shoebox Dweller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,736
I don't think that this has been discussed before, but will the new bridge still be called the "Port Mann"?
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 7:16 AM
Vancouver_Highrise's Avatar
Vancouver_Highrise Vancouver_Highrise is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver/Toronto/Australia
Posts: 156
to spork.. I would assume so as the signs all say
"New Port Mann Bridge" and I dont see why they
would change the name..
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 6:24 AM
Dave2 Dave2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The voice-over on that video raises the concerns that you've raised, so hopefully having 6 thru lanes with longer merge and exit ramps will address it. The TCH overpass over Lougheed Highway is probably the sticking point for making a continuous merge lane from the Boundary on-ramp to the 1st Ave off-ramp (i.e. that overpass would need to have 4 lanes westbound in order to do so).
This morning I noticed that the W/B Lanes at the Lougheed overpass have been shifted to the right.... the left shoulder is wider than it used to be... fwiw.
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 8:59 AM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 3,183
Yea so they have room to build the third lane in each direction.
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 9:30 PM
amor de cosmos amor de cosmos is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: lodged against an abutment
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
The Tri-City News
Port Mann bridge cranes
By Gary McKenna - The Tri-City News
Published: July 02, 2009 2:00 PM
Updated: July 02, 2009 3:40 PM

Commuters who frequently use the Port Mann bridge have likely noticed large cranes and construction crews beginning their work on the river below.

Workers are in the process of installing temporary work trestles at the foot of the bridge, which will act as a staging area for the building of a new Fraser River crossing.

"It is a key work area for the south span of the bridge," said Baljinder Jacques, a public affairs officer with the Ministry of Transportation. "It is so workers can get up there and do the work."

After the initial trestle is build she said additional piers will be constructed, branching to other areas of the site.

The trestles are about five metres-wide and 560 metres long and will be raised about five metres above the water surface. This will allow clearance for most boats that use the river while the main channel will remain clear.

The trestles are expected to be in place until 2013.
http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/49724662.html
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 9:59 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 11,192
The other night i was driving home and there was work going on all along the #1 from Canada way to 200th. Do keep in mind the majority of this construction is all preparation work and the building of temporary work structures and temporary lanes. Will probably be a while until we see some work occurring on actual permanent structures.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/306346...h/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0...lhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 12:32 AM
hollywoodnorth's Avatar
hollywoodnorth hollywoodnorth is offline
Blazed Member - Citygater
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
The other night i was driving home and there was work going on all along the #1 from Canada way to 200th. Do keep in mind the majority of this construction is all preparation work and the building of temporary work structures and temporary lanes. Will probably be a while until we see some work occurring on actual permanent structures.
yes its impressive Go Gordo Go!
__________________
http://www.votesmartbc.com
http://www.riskydix.ca
http://www.dixshiddenplan.ca

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 6:37 AM
Vancouver_Highrise's Avatar
Vancouver_Highrise Vancouver_Highrise is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver/Toronto/Australia
Posts: 156
there's a lot of work on the south side of the 160th overpass in surrey..
Not sure what they're are doing around the park and ride.. and if it
has anything to do with the highway expansion.
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 6:42 AM
go_leafs_go02 go_leafs_go02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,354
I know that the new highway on the Surrey side will be built almost entirely in the median, with 4 lanes in each direction (3 Lanes + 1 HOV) with an HOV interchange at 156 Street.

There will be a simple tall-wall (jersey barrier) in the middle, and alot of ROW where the former lanes used to be.

Looks good..only up to 200 Avenue at this point..but I hope they'll aim to go 3 lanes each way to Abbotsford in the near future too.
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 6:30 PM
Stingray2004's Avatar
Stingray2004 Stingray2004 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: White Rock, BC (Metro Vancouver)
Posts: 3,028
I notice that the lead bridge engineer for the new PMB design will be T.Y. Lin International, the same guys who designed the new San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.

I was always under the impression that our local boys, Buckland & Taylor, would be hold that position but c'est la vie.

Also, according to construction staging plans, a portion of the existing PMB on both the north/south sides will require demolition in order to complete the approaches for the new structure.

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic/...851fe3404e.pdf

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic/...851fe3404e.pdf
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:37 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.