HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 9:29 PM
A hole being Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Probably about 20-30 of the lights on the east end have been out for well over a year. They're in groups of 8. Some of the lights have all 8 lights out, while several have all but a couple out.

You generally want to cover up exposed rebar as soon as you can, otherwise the corrosion can spread deeper and cause more spalling.

I've called 311 about street lights before, but I can't help but figure that since there are so many out that someone must be avoiding fixing the lights. On the east side, there are more lights out than are actually working by a fair margin.
I haven't tried calling 311 because I assumed it was intentional about the lights but you're definitely correct about the numbers. Post-deadpool maintenance was noticeably below post-Olympics closure maintenance levels.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 9:32 PM

If the viaducts are in a state of desrepair, more will agree to do away with the "unsightly defunct monster". If they maintain them like a world class city would, people may vehemently oppose to their tearing down. If there are accidents on the viaducts, then the City would have even bigger ammunition for their case as the bridges are now deemed "unsafe". If the viaducts collapse in the event of an earthquake because of the unpatched cracks and exposed rebars, the City can come forward and say "See, I told you so, should've torn them down sooner.".

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
When was the last time any of this saw use and why was it taken out of service?
I vaguely recall seeing the edge lighting in the 1980s.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Probably about 20-30 of the lights on the east end have been out for well over a year. They're in groups of 8. Some of the lights have all 8 lights out, while several have all but a couple out.

You generally want to cover up exposed rebar as soon as you can, otherwise the corrosion can spread deeper and cause more spalling.

I've called 311 about street lights before, but I can't help but figure that since there are so many out that someone must be avoiding fixing the lights. On the east side, there are more lights out than are actually working by a fair margin.
Tell them there's a bike lane up there and they'll get it fixed tout suite.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure