HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 9:29 PM
A hole being Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Probably about 20-30 of the lights on the east end have been out for well over a year. They're in groups of 8. Some of the lights have all 8 lights out, while several have all but a couple out.

You generally want to cover up exposed rebar as soon as you can, otherwise the corrosion can spread deeper and cause more spalling.

I've called 311 about street lights before, but I can't help but figure that since there are so many out that someone must be avoiding fixing the lights. On the east side, there are more lights out than are actually working by a fair margin.
I haven't tried calling 311 because I assumed it was intentional about the lights but you're definitely correct about the numbers. Post-deadpool maintenance was noticeably below post-Olympics closure maintenance levels.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 9:32 PM

If the viaducts are in a state of desrepair, more will agree to do away with the "unsightly defunct monster". If they maintain them like a world class city would, people may vehemently oppose to their tearing down. If there are accidents on the viaducts, then the City would have even bigger ammunition for their case as the bridges are now deemed "unsafe". If the viaducts collapse in the event of an earthquake because of the unpatched cracks and exposed rebars, the City can come forward and say "See, I told you so, should've torn them down sooner.".

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
When was the last time any of this saw use and why was it taken out of service?
I vaguely recall seeing the edge lighting in the 1980s.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Probably about 20-30 of the lights on the east end have been out for well over a year. They're in groups of 8. Some of the lights have all 8 lights out, while several have all but a couple out.

You generally want to cover up exposed rebar as soon as you can, otherwise the corrosion can spread deeper and cause more spalling.

I've called 311 about street lights before, but I can't help but figure that since there are so many out that someone must be avoiding fixing the lights. On the east side, there are more lights out than are actually working by a fair margin.
Tell them there's a bike lane up there and they'll get it fixed tout suite.

Old Posted Today, 8:17 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Interesting, been following the viaducts situation pretty closely and don't remember and requirement for Provincial funding. Seems quite late in the game to throw that lil tidbit out there. Looks like the reason du jour for taking them down immediately is that in an earthquake they would take out the skytrain.

Funding needed for Vancouver viaduct removal
Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – With just over a week left in the provincial election campaign, Vancouver’s mayor is calling on parties to commit funding to get rid of the Georgia and Dunsmuir viaducts.

Gregor Robertson says the pending demolition of the crossings needs support from Victoria.

“Hopefully, we have clarity from all the parties on what they will do to help us implement that change because there’s a big neighbourhood that’s about to be built right where the viaducts are -a big new park, lots of new housing and we want to get that project underway.”

Robertson says the provincial government’s commitment hasn’t been finalized yet, but construction is already slated to start next year.

“We’re working towards starting construction next year and building the road network on the ground before the viaducts can come down…If we get commitments in from the province and the various landowners.”

He adds the viaducts need to come down soon because they’re not seismically safe.

“If we have a major earthquake, the viaducts can come and take out the SkyTrain tracks, so that’s a big part of the reason we need to make this happen with some urgency.”

The $200 million dollar project is expected to be completed by 2025.

When it’s done, the new neighbourhood will include mixed housing and a 13-acre park.
Source:http://www.news1130.com/2017/04/29/f...aduct-removal/

Old Posted Today, 11:12 AM

200 million now? Wasn't it 100 million before?

Also no, this is not a provincial project, this is the city's pet project of removing useful existing infrastructure.

The province better not give the city a single penny for this.

Old Posted Today, 2:18 PM

I think the commitments from "the province and various landowners" probably refers to the area around BC Place and Rogers Arena that may need to be part of the new roads but not currently owned by the city.

Old Posted Today, 4:37 PM

"Not seismically safe" is BS. There are plenty of other structures in this city that are at a lot bigger risk in an earthquake that ought to be dealt with before the viaducts.

Old Posted Today, 4:46 PM

Quote:
“If we have a major earthquake, the viaducts can come and take out the SkyTrain tracks, so that’s a big part of the reason we need to make this happen with some urgency.”
Wouldn't that be another way to limit people travelling into downtown Van - something they seem to be striving for...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure