HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: What is your preferred choice of smartcard name for the entire region?
Umbrella Card 48 26.37%
Otter Card 54 29.67%
George Card 15 8.24%
Compass Card 65 35.71%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 9:59 PM

Last edited by dothediu; Dec 1, 2016 at 6:25 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothediu View Post
I recall reading somewhere that you can buy a 1-2 zone WCE monthly pass for $151.75, instead of a 3 zone pass for $170, and still be able to use the Skytrain system 3 zone unlimited without problem. Is this still valid or has loophole been closed?
A 2-zone WCE pass had always been equal to a 2-zone monthly pass, just that it was pretty much impossible to reinforce before as you don't need to select which 2 zones you're using it

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 2:55 AM

From Vancouver Sun,

Quote:
TransLink is just starting to implement Compass accounts for businesses that will allow employers to offer staff subsidized cards.

Mobile ticketing, which has become popular in Europe and Asia, is also coming soon. This will allow transit users to “tap in” using their smart phones. The ability to tap in using credit cards is also on the way, which Desmond said will be useful for “irregular users,” such as tourists.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
I just prefer not to have my credit card number recorded on any more companies' computer systems than I can help. The more people have it, the more likely I am to have to deal with the fallout when it gets stolen. Since I use transit relatively infrequently, I prefer to manually top up the card from time to time at the Compass machine at my local London Drugs.
FYI, the largest credit card hacks of all time involve physical in store POS devices (Target, Home Depot, TJ MAX). Most identity theft and credit card fraud happens at physical locations where people steal your card with a pocket swiper.

That's not as big an issue here because of Chip and PIN, but a lot of chains still store your credit card number for record keeping and accounting purposes. So even though you avoid having your card "online", most likely the TVM stores your credit info, and uploads it to a database for accounting, making it basically "online".

Even then though, credit card data is either a tokenized pre-auth (valid ONLY for the business issued to) or an encrypted number in a database. Almost impossible to reverse and abuse if a database is stolen.

You are statistically more likely to be the victim of a compromised POS terminal or Bank Machine that will capture your PIN, therefore completely raping you in the ass (that's a totally valid legal definition of what happens to you if your PIN is stolen). I will take my chances online before trusting too many places with my PIN (hence why I tap as much as possible, no PIN).

YOU CANNOT ESCAPE IT unless you exclusively use cash. May as well give in and make your life easier. I think the benefits of balance protection and transfer on the Compass card is well worth the risk of leaving my credit card number on a website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
True true, though I think the gates weren't designed to actual physically prevent tail gating. They simply make it obvious who is doing it (and hasn't paid). It's then up to translink to intervene with these scofflaws.
I've noticed a few times at Scott Road station a couple of police officers in plain clothes hanging out near the gate, like they were talking, and they would pull aside people who would tailgate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
While I want to be able to use my phone, I think the big thing will be the ability to use credit cards. I STILL see people paying cash on the bus quite frequently, and the lines for the TVMs at certain stations is INSANE. If they can cut down on the use (and thus cost) of the paper tickets, while making the transit system more approachable by non-riders and tourists, it will generate a lot of money.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 11:11 AM
zoom zoom

The only real 'fallout' anyways is being without that particular credit card for a week or so while they send you a replacement and then having to give the replacement info for recurring charges. All major credit cards have fraud protection so there's really no risk involved for the cardholder.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
The only real 'fallout' anyways is being without that particular credit card for a week or so while they send you a replacement and then having to give the replacement info for recurring charges. All major credit cards have fraud protection so there's really no risk involved for the cardholder.
Agreed... Honestly I think it's impossible not have your funds fully restored now. Mind you it might take a week or two for them to restore the funds but honestly I've had them replace around a thousand every few years. Mind you the bank loves me as I pay around 100$ in fees a month but still I think everyone gets the coverage.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 9:04 PM

Having my Credit Card leaked in the first place I consider "do not deal with them anymore.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
FYI, the largest credit card hacks of all time involve physical in store POS devices (Target, Home Depot, TJ MAX). Most identity theft and credit card fraud happens at physical locations where people steal your card with a pocket swiper.
This is (slightly) incorrect.

Target was breached because its point of sale networks were attacked after someone had phished an HVAC contractor. Said attacker found out that the network was wide open and exposed the POS network used in the stores. This allowed them to infect key systems to get a hold of credit card data.

TJ MAX was breached because it had poor security on its wireless networks.

Most major credit card breaches have occurred because of sloppiness somewhere, not because of physical breaches or compromise of the actual card readers themselves. Physical breaches do however happen quite often but the incidents you cite are not the result of this.

Quote:
That's not as big an issue here because of Chip and PIN, but a lot of chains still store your credit card number for record keeping and accounting purposes. So even though you avoid having your card "online", most likely the TVM stores your credit info, and uploads it to a database for accounting, making it basically "online".

Even then though, credit card data is either a tokenized pre-auth (valid ONLY for the business issued to) or an encrypted number in a database. Almost impossible to reverse and abuse if a database is stolen.
If someone is bored, they should ask for a copy of TransLink's last PCI audit.

Quote:
You are statistically more likely to be the victim of a compromised POS terminal or Bank Machine that will capture your PIN, therefore completely raping you in the ass (that's a totally valid legal definition of what happens to you if your PIN is stolen). I will take my chances online before trusting too many places with my PIN (hence why I tap as much as possible, no PIN).
Not sure why you must say "you in the ass" here, but liability shift only occurs if you've given your PIN out to someone else. If it can be proven that the EMV system has actually been compromised (this is a bit iffy to talk about because I haven't seen anything concrete yet) or if the transaction occurred via stripe or tap, there is no liability shift and you're off the hook for the false payment.

So yeah. Tap away--the worst that can happen if your card gets intercepted via that method is that they'll have to issue you a new card.

Last edited by afreak; Oct 18, 2016 at 12:54 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Tonight the transit heat were busting people at Waterfront station, one guy was trying in vain to explain why he couldn't get out of the fare paid zone to a cop. lol
Don't you love the sight of that?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Don't you love the sight of that?
Yes, twice as much as before because now they could go to the Compass Exit Ticket machine by the gates and get out for $5.50.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post
Yes, twice as much as before because now they could go to the Compass Exit Ticket machine by the gates and get out for $5.50.
"Donation" in any amount for transit improvement is always greatly appreciated.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:03 AM

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/u-s-company-beh...docs-1.3184401

Apparently TransLink was well aware of the Compass problems and was trying to get it fixed, but Cubic battled to keep that a secret. So instead we got Jordan Bateman crusading about TransLink's mismanagement of Compass during the referendum.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure