HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 8:09 PM
I am the law!

I've spent a couple hours exploring it. Honestly, l think a couple hours is more than enough for an impression. To clarify, towers in a park implies single use highrise apartments surrounded by useless landscaping and not towers built in an actual park. Kingsway retail is quite fragmented. Oakville, Burlington, Port Credit, etc. Each has a low to midrise commercial main street surrounded by towers. It's not uncommon for most city centres that developed over time rather than a master planned green field development . MCC still has it's fair share of ground floor retail and is also rapidly urbanizing with several multi-phased developments encompassing dozens of towers just like everywhere else.

It was not intentional to offend by calling the Skytrain LRT. The reasoning is that Skytrain was originally built to market UTDC's ICTS/ALRT system to the world. It didn't quite work as planned and UTDC's technology was eventually purchased by Bombardier. Most in Toronto don't consider our SRT as a metro line in light of or subway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
What are you talking about? Have you ever even been or walked around for any length of time there? Having spent an hour or two in the mall doesn't count. Also, since when is the Skytrain an LRT? Are we really that desperate to grasp at straws just to put other places down?

Kingsway is an entire street of streetfront retail through metrotown. There's no park anywhere near the mall, except Central Park about a km away (gorgeous park btw), and as I said, it's not quite there yet, but it is getting there fast. With Sovereign, Station Square, Metroplace, the Metrotower Complex, Chancellor, the redevelopment of the parking lot of The Bay, there's no doubting Metrotown's plan and capability to become one of the most urban suburbs in the country. Especially considering it already has an entire street with brick faced pedestrian scale older buildings full of retail and opportunities for beautification running straight through it.

Me too man. Pretty much all of Lonsdale is great. Would be cool if they built a tram up the hill to make it more accessible too! Hopefully one day! The Quay is my favorite place down there. We always used to go to the East Side Mario's there! Yummm

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Sep 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 6:17 AM
Species: Homo Hamiltonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I'm only really familiar with the GTA but I would say that downtown Burlington is one of the better examples. Oakville is good as well, but can be a bit too upscale to be considered fully functional (it does have jobs though). The only problem with these is they function as nice downtowns of places with maybe ~50,000, not 150,000.
Agree with the last sentence. They're both nice and "downtownie" but could be more for the size of city they're within.

Downtown Burlington has a lot of boutique retail and restaurants, but it lacks larger stores (which it will never get with one large regional mall only 5 minutes away, and another mall a bit more distant in another direction). There are several condo developments with more on the way, and a few rental buildings, and there is a cluster of apartment towers close by. There are also some townhouse strips, and many beautiful older homes just a block off the main streets. But employment-wise it's also lacking - a few modest office buildings to go with houses converted to professional offices and other businesses. Most of Burlington's employment, including office employment, is concentrated along the QEW.

There's a lot of potential for intensification, but I think there are many who live in the downtown area who would oppose that.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 11:31 PM

The fact that it is not uncommon for people to move downtown and then complain about it is remarkable.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 11:48 PM

Can someone post pics of Burnaby's downtown? I've only seen skyline shots, but have not idea what it looks like on the street.

I've seen New Westminster on Streetview, and Mississauga, Burlington, Oakville, in person. Burlington looked pretty "downtownish" but I agree its small for a almost 200k city. New Westmininster looks like its the most urban based on what I've seen.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 11:56 PM

I just looked at Longueuil on streetview. It has a nice street thats downtowny. As with most suburbs though, it seems to only have the one stretch of a street that looks urban. Also too bad those highrises are a bit further from the downtown and surrounded by highway/ramps.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 1:23 AM
digital b0y

Montreal suburbs can be described using a single word : gross.

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 2:19 AM
ARTchitecture

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 3:08 AM
ARTchitecture

A gorgeous view of Westbrook from Nose Hill by Surrealplaces.

View from Nose Hill Park by Surrealplaces, on Flickr

Photos of Westbrook by me...

SAIT/16th Avenue skyline by me...

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Nice shots man! That C Train station is gorgeous.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 6:05 PM
ARTchitecture

Thanks! The whole West Line is gorgeous. The only station I'm not a fan of is 45th Street.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 8:53 PM
Urban Fanactic

Not exactly suburban but these small skylines are outside of downtown Sault.
Old hospitals with two 10 floor apartments and a 9 floor apartment building in the bakground.

Pine Street Skyline around the marina.

Pictures by me.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 8:59 PM
ARTchitecture

A peak of the beautiful autumn we're enjoying! Westbrook.

Westbrook Autumn by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 9:42 PM

A view of University City, and a small, older skyline on the western edge of the city just off Old Banff Coach Road by Jimby.

University City by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 5:01 AM
The good old days are now

Longueuil by Edwin Hernandez, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 3:04 AM
ARTchitecture

Southland "skyline" with Southland Station in the foreground!

http://keithsodyssey.blogspot.ca/201...1_archive.html

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 3:11 AM
User Registered

St Thomas, the Railroad Capital of Canada is sort of a suburb or London (in it's CMA)

Proximity to London:

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 12:27 PM

I didn't realize that St. Thomas even had an actual skyline. It's not a big one, but it still has one.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 1:34 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah it is a nice city for sure. Most cities of that size, including Woodstock and Stratford, have their highrises outside of their downtowns, but St. Thomas has them right in the middle of the core. Makes it feel a bit bigger than it really is.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 9:37 PM
Riki beach

Ste-Foy seen from the south shore

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 11:03 PM

Killer shot of Burnaby skyline in the fog:

City in Clouds by luke.me.up, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada