HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
When it comes it will be a flood.
Agreed. It seems likely we'll go from 0 to 5 completed within a 5 year period; my bet is on 2020 through 2025.

Land prices will eventually push it up and customers will agree to pay the $1000/sqft price for the units ($500k for a 1 bedroom). If the 80 floor condos sell well, then 100 floor condos will follow pretty quickly.

Only thing stopping it is a massive transit spending spree that makes commuting to downtown appealing again or significant bank layoffs; these both seem less likely over the next 10 years all the time. The trimmed back Big Move in the Golden proposal barely matches growth; it certainly isn't going to get ahead of it in the next decade.

Last edited by rbt; Mar 5, 2014 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 5:20 AM
I am the law!

Yeah, Downtown is a graveyard representing developers that put vision and ambition first. Developing two 200 metre towers over one 400 metre tower isn't being cheap. It's survival. There's a massive market for mid range units. There's none for a 90 million dollar unit that doesn't even occupy the top floor. Manhattan is a naive comparison.

Look how quickly the railway lands have been built out. Ready to build large plot will be exhausted in no time. Developers will be forced to buy more properties with large improvements and from land assemblers for premium prices with much higher prep costs. Heights will continue to rise.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 1:20 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
^ Nah, Toronto still has 36/50 of the biggest proposals in the country. Despite only having 20% of the country's population, TO has 72% of all the biggest proposals. So while I agree yes, this list is becoming a tad more diversified (nice to see), it's still overwhelmingly Toronto.
Using Toronto's share of the national population isn't a good way of predicting what share of the tallest buildings one would expect. There are only 5-6 cities in the country that are big enough to entertain a high rise over 150m and even here a 150m building is going to be a rarity in most of them. Toronto only has a few more than one might expect in a top 50 list and that's due to Montreal having a strong aversion to height.

You'd expect Toronto to dominate a skyscraper height list in the same way that you'd expect the Prairies to dominate combine harvester sales.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 1:28 PM
gettin' rich!

Well, Toronto had its time. I'm glad to see some other cities in this list.

BTW: SW Ontario might have a fair share of combine sales

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:26 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Canada has 10 cities that can go in the 150m range (Niagara Falls, Winnipeg, Hamilton, and Quebec can all manage it every so often).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:39 PM
I am the law!

This list would be ours if so many weren't upgraded to construction. Let Winnipeg have it.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Canada has 10 cities that can go in the 150m range (Niagara Falls, Winnipeg, Hamilton, and Quebec can all manage it every so often).
Not Quebec city. You will not see a 150 meters build there ever. They have an aversion to height that would make Montreal seems like Hong Kong !

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:59 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Not Quebec city. You will not see a 150 meters build there ever. They have an aversion to height that would make Montreal seems like Hong Kong !
If you count the antenna (which people keep demanding for FCP) then Édifice Marie-Guyart is pushing 180m.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:12 PM

Quote:
If you count the antenna (which people keep demanding for FCP) then Édifice Marie-Guyart is pushing 180m.
And this is the only one in that city and it was build back in the 70's. It is precisely because of that building and how much it is hated in QC that the city will not, ever, permit another building like that. Sorry, but off the list.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:43 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post

BTW: SW Ontario might have a fair share of combine sales
SW Ontario would, the Toronto figure however, is likely zero.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:51 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
We do, but almost all construction in cities under 2 million people will be shorter than 150m. Calgary is an anomaly, btw. It's larger cities with huge demands on residential and office and high land values that build tall. The cities you listed are only now bumping up against factors that make a 150m+ building economically enticing. That said, they'll have to get far larger before they become common place.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 4:12 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
SW Ontario would, the Toronto figure however, is likely zero.
True. But I did say SW Ontario.

Back to my main point, it's nice to see some other cities breaking up this list. Looking forward to seeing Kitchner on the list.

Last edited by caltrane74; Mar 5, 2014 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 4:36 PM
I am the law!

Lmao .. Kitchener .. good one

Doesn't matter how many. What matters is how strong the competition to keep one city from cornering the list.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 4:39 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
We do, but almost all construction in cities under 2 million people will be shorter than 150m. Calgary is an anomaly, btw. It's larger cities with huge demands on residential and office and high land values that build tall. The cities you listed are only now bumping up against factors that make a 150m+ building economically enticing. That said, they'll have to get far larger before they become common place.
I wasn't saying they'd be constantly on, but they could make it fairly frequently.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 4:50 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

No way KW gets a 150m building in the near future... right now the tallest isn't even 80m. Taller towers will probably begin to pop up along the new LRT route, but not that tall. There is a huge jump from Niagara Falls to the next city with a 150m tower, Calgary. Yes, we skipped right over Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec City, Ottawa and Edmonton. The only reason the Falls has one is because of a massive tourist attraction.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 5:39 PM
Community Guy

With the airport overlay done with, Edmonton will see 2-3 towers over 150m soonish... 102st centre @161m, Stantec's tower is rumoured to be 43 storeys potentially or about 170-180m and the two condos in the arena district are in the 49-50 storey range so likely around 150-160m.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 1:09 AM

A very solid source at UT confirmed just now that Oxford Place is now for sure going ahead, with IBI as one of the local firms working on the project. Expect more info including new renderings in the coming days or WHENEVER HE GETS IT***... Very exciting times for Toronto!

Last edited by travis3000; Mar 6, 2014 at 1:26 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 1:24 AM
Insertoronto

days or weeks? This is what Metroman said:

Quote:
Oxford Place is going ahead. IBI has been retained as one of the local firms working on the project. I'll provide more info once I get it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 1:53 AM
gettin' rich!

Put this thing back in the top 50

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:12 AM

^ Once more details come out and the heights are re-confirmed, I agree... there was never any need to remove it from the top 50. If it was any other city, there would have been a firestorm if these were removed. But now we know, this project is actually going ahead. Firms have been hired to start the process.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada