HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
dont see that ever happening. You don't see new rail lines run in urban areas for a reason. This route is likely very valuable and any diversion of trains around this area would probably add many hours to each trip. Which of course would cost CSX many millions per year.
no new lines would be needed. The high line would need to be double tracked and some new inter line connections made in south Philly and somewhere either in N or NW Philly.
There are/used to be Cities where all/most of the freight rail lines were owned and managed by some sortof co-op. Back in the day this was done to get rid of needless rail crossing and overlapping tracks, in other words it served the railroads first and foremost. But I'd like to see the same model used to help in different directions.
The State of Pa. paid to deepen tunnels and make other improvements to allow double stacked rail cars. If losing use of the east side rail lines costs CSX alittle extra in time----tough. Maybe if city council figured out how to tax freight trains running through CC the practice would end. Seems like the soda tax is having that effect for soda!
I come back to asking everyone to think what the park could be like without those dam tracks running tight up against Center City, and what the cost has been and will be to continue to keep them there. I know its not a over night fix, but if it could be made a goal then at least the costs could be counted.
Its very easy to pull up rail maps of Philly for any who are interested.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:54 AM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
no new lines would be needed. The high line would need to be double tracked and some new inter line connections made in south Philly and somewhere either in N or NW Philly.
There are/used to be Cities where all/most of the freight rail lines were owned and managed by some sortof co-op. Back in the day this was done to get rid of needless rail crossing and overlapping tracks, in other words it served the railroads first and foremost. But I'd like to see the same model used to help in different directions.
The State of Pa. paid to deepen tunnels and make other improvements to allow double stacked rail cars. If losing use of the east side rail lines costs CSX alittle extra in time----tough. Maybe if city council figured out how to tax freight trains running through CC the practice would end. Seems like the soda tax is having that effect for soda!
I come back to asking everyone to think what the park could be like without those dam tracks running tight up against Center City, and what the cost has been and will be to continue to keep them there. I know its not a over night fix, but if it could be made a goal then at least the costs could be counted.
Its very easy to pull up rail maps of Philly for any who are interested.
The High Line not being double-tracked isn't actually the problem here. A much bigger issue is that the structure itself probably needs to be rebuilt to handle two trains passing. CSX also maintains a yard down by Forgotten Bottom that it uses the east side line to access. There are a lot of interwoven issues going on; if it isn't one thing, it's another.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
The High Line not being double-tracked isn't actually the problem here. A much bigger issue is that the structure itself probably needs to be rebuilt to handle two trains passing. CSX also maintains a yard down by Forgotten Bottom that it uses the east side line to access. There are a lot of interwoven issues going on; if it isn't one thing, it's another.
The structure and original layout was and is 2 tracks, just one isn't used and has been torn up in most places

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 1:26 AM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
The structure and original layout was and is 2 tracks, just one isn't used and has been torn up in most places
I've been watching that viaduct for a while. CSX periodically shifts the active track, I suppose to keep the overall wear on the viaduct even. It's the biggest reason why I think the problem is a weight one much more than a capacity one.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 2:29 AM

Now back to regular programing!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals