HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyked3 View Post
If I had a dollar for every time the urban politician brought up this crazy comparison between Midtown and River North, I'd have at least ten dollars!!! Thank god we are finally destroying this asinine comparison. Really. What do the two have in common? Heavy rail? No. Commuter rail? No. Grid dimensions? No. Office space? No. Proximity to historic CBD? No? Number of tall buildings? No. River? No. Need I go on? River North is not and will never be Chicago's "Midtown." No other Chicago neighborhood will be Chicago's "Midtown." And I don't see why we have to keep discussing Chicago's "Midtown." I'd rather discuss when New York is finally going to get its own "River North." They can only wish.
Yes - well actually there are parts of the Loop - a few intersections that are like something you'd find in Midtown but not really anything like that in RN.

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:39 AM
THAT Guy

GSA State Street properties - for sale again

Looks like the City is now involved and seeking RFP submissions by May 1st with a developer selected on May 24th. Both the Century and Consumers buildings must be preserved, along with the storefront for 214 S State (Roberto's), although the two low-rises can otherwise be redeveloped.

Will be great to see this block come back to life again.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I've said this before, but what makes RN and Gold Coast interesting are the high and lows of varying density. One block can be modern highrises and the next a quiet street with brownstones or some midrise warehouses. It's a very rich urban experience. A real shame these pockets of 19th century buildings are getting knocked down for forgettable glass boxes. But this city's poor stewardship to preserving its oldest residential architecture will in a matter of years pretty much eliminate nearly all of these remaining types of buildings downtown
Obviously the historic building stock in River North isn't as geographically unified as it was in Fulton Market, but the latter's landmarking as a historic district can show that we can easily preserve the historic fabric of the city without impeding new development.

In fact, that's one of Chicago's great advantages. We have plenty of room for both preservation and new development. For most cities it's usually one or the other (nothing old to preserve, no land to build new without demoing).

River North's built environment east of Dearborn is becoming a lost cause. And it's a shame, because it's one of our most visible and important areas of downtown.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:58 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyked3 View Post
If I had a dollar for every time the urban politician brought up this crazy comparison between Midtown and River North, I'd have at least ten dollars!!! Thank god we are finally destroying this asinine comparison. Really. What do the two have in common? Heavy rail? No. Commuter rail? No. Grid dimensions? No. Office space? No. Proximity to historic CBD? No? Number of tall buildings? No. River? No. Need I go on? River North is not and will never be Chicago's "Midtown." No other Chicago neighborhood will be Chicago's "Midtown." And I don't see why we have to keep discussing Chicago's "Midtown." I'd rather discuss when New York is finally going to get its own "River North." They can only wish.

Yeah - count me among the perplexed whenever he makes that comparison.....I've never understood it.....

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:00 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Looks like the City is now involved and seeking RFP submissions by May 1st with a developer selected on May 24th. Both the Century and Consumers buildings must be preserved, along with the storefront for 214 S State (Roberto's), although the two low-rises can otherwise be redeveloped.

Will be great to see this block come back to life again.

Very interesting. The two low-rises that can be redeveloped - are they adjacent (having difficulty visualizing the block at the moment)? Could anything of scale be built? Regardless, it will be awesome to get the adaptive reuse/restoration/reactivation on this block - really looking forward to that!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Very interesting. The two low-rises that can be redeveloped - are they adjacent (having difficulty visualizing the block at the moment)? Could anything of scale be built? Regardless, it will be awesome to get the adaptive reuse/restoration/reactivation on this block - really looking forward to that!
Yes, they're adjacent (in the middle of the two historic high-rises).

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 3:31 PM
you know where I'll be

^ got it.....this could be interesting......

thanks

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 3:39 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Yeah - count me among the perplexed whenever he makes that comparison.....I've never understood it.....
I didn't make that comparison. This discussion started from a quote in an article from an attendee at the 740 N Rush proposal community meeting who said "we don't want to recreate midtown Manhattan".

Not that I apologize for making such comparisons in the past. River North is Chicago's nascent midtown Manhattan. Deal with it.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 4:19 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I didn't make that comparison. This discussion started from a quote in an article from an attendee at the 740 N Rush proposal community meeting who said "we don't want to recreate midtown Manhattan".

Not that I apologize for making such comparisons in the past. River North is Chicago's nascent midtown Manhattan. Deal with it.
I always thought of the Gold Coast/Streeterville as our Midtown Manhattan... or maybe the Loop since they are both gigantic CBD's.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:39 PM

another large soil tester at Illinois and Rush site of mall expansion or whatever we are calling it. the surface lot

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:56 PM

Excellent point, cyked3. I agree entirely. In the meantime, it's more and more clear every day that River North needs a real park, and the McDonald's lot is the perfect spot for it.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
another large soil tester at Illinois and Rush site of mall expansion or whatever we are calling it. the surface lot
I walk past this site a few times every week. I think that soil tester has been all over that parking lot for about 2+ weeks at this point. It's surprising that the lot is still there after all those holes.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I always thought of the Gold Coast/Streeterville as our Midtown Manhattan... or maybe the Loop since they are both gigantic CBD's.
There are buildings, row homes mostly in some parts of Gold Coast and Lincoln Park that look like some of the row homes on my block and surrounding blocks in Upper West Side. Not all of it, but some of them. At least if the stairs to them from the sidewalk were 2X longer and the entrances that much higher. I find that the side streets in UWS have more in common with these of Chicago than UES.

I don't think Gold Coast is anything like almost anywhere in midtown. I guess you could say that in 5 years, Streeterville could be like Hudson Yards if Hudson Yards was way more residential or something.

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:34 AM

Long time stalker, first time poster. I know it was mentioned a post or two above, but I snapped a pic of the soil testing truck on 3/20 - early afternoon. This is the Northwest corner of the lot. It later moved to the Northeast corner, and then the Southeast corner of the parking lot.

Is there any concrete info on what will be included in this expansion?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 1:42 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeviewguy View Post
Excellent point, cyked3. I agree entirely. In the meantime, it's more and more clear every day that River North needs a real park, and the McDonald's lot is the perfect spot for it.
The planning is that the USPS will eventually leave the facility between Clark and Dearborn, Grand and Ohio, and that a park would go there. But who knows when the USPS will move from there. If they do, it is also a good place for a park being exactly SE of the McDonald's site. If they don't then the McDonald's site would also be a good location, especially if the surrounding blocks were redeveloped into taller, pedestrian-friendly buildings.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The planning is that the USPS will eventually leave the facility between Clark and Dearborn, Grand and Ohio, and that a park would go there. But who knows when the USPS will move from there. If they do, it is also a good place for a park being exactly SE of the McDonald's site. If they don't then the McDonald's site would also be a good location, especially if the surrounding blocks were redeveloped into taller, pedestrian-friendly buildings.
Considering every tower in the area had a parking podium that takes up 1/2 a block and provides about a half acre or more of outdoor space I'd say the park is little more than a visual thing than a livable necessity.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanChi92 View Post
Long time stalker, first time poster. I know it was mentioned a post or two above, but I snapped a pic of the soil testing truck on 3/20 - early afternoon. This is the Northwest corner of the lot. It later moved to the Northeast corner, and then the Southeast corner of the parking lot.

Is there any concrete info on what will be included in this expansion?

pretty sure that's going to be a mall expansion, 403 N Wabash is south of that lot just south of 405 N, not sure if that one is getting built for sure or not

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:17 PM
North Center

It would be a damn shame if residential or hotel is not included with the mall expansion.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:52 PM

^agree. Maybe it will since I recall them paying a fortune for the lot, which remains a blight on the universe

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 7:04 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
It would be a damn shame if residential or hotel is not included with the mall expansion.
Gensler designed a cool mixed-user for that lot. Sadly, I think it's gonna be more mall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations