HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #241  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:21 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,993
Three S. Jersey firms to build $245 million office tower in Camden

Quote:
Three South Jersey companies seeking to move to Camden, including the insurance brokerage led by Democratic power player George E. Norcross III, on Thursday got approval from the state Economic Development Authority for tax incentives worth $245 million.

Conner Strong & Buckelew, based in Marlton, along with the Michaels Organization and NFI plans to build a $245 million, 18-story office tower on the waterfront as part of a development project already underway. According to the proposal, the completed building would be the tallest structure on the waterfront.

The proposal includes a piazza that would overlook the Delaware River with views of the Philadelphia skyline. It would move almost 900 existing jobs into Camden and could be ready for occupancy by August 2019.

The firms bought the Ferry Terminal Building on the waterfront last year, and may invest up to an additional $100 million in building apartments and a hotel planned there, according to the statement released last week.
Read more:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ne...-Norcross.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #242  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 1:24 PM
allovertown allovertown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 469
I was on Patco a week ago and I also noticed they were moving dirt around on the North side of the bridge. Does anyone know what's going on there?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #243  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:06 PM
1487 1487 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I was on Patco a week ago and I also noticed they were moving dirt around on the North side of the bridge. Does anyone know what's going on there?
new park on prison site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #244  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:30 PM
Elevator1 Elevator1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
new park on prison site.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ne...velopment.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #245  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 5:55 PM
Parkway's Avatar
Parkway Parkway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 634
I didn't get a chance to grab a picture but steel has been rising all week for the low rise that will house American Water.
__________________
"It's like a giant ball of peanut butter with a stick of Dynamite in the middle."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #246  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 7:02 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,993
^^Nice!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #247  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 2:31 PM
Mikieman Mikieman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 49
20170403_094931 by , on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #248  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 3:55 PM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 459
__________________
I am a liar.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #249  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 4:04 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,993
Love it!! Go Camden!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #250  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 12:10 AM
El Duderino's Avatar
El Duderino El Duderino is offline
build awesome buildings
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 63
this can be seen from the Philly side (Race St Pier) wayyyyy better than i was anticipating. the taller towers are going to have quite an impact once (fingers crossed it's totally finalized) they start to rise.

Last edited by El Duderino; Apr 4, 2017 at 1:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #251  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 5:13 PM
TechTalkGuy's Avatar
TechTalkGuy TechTalkGuy is offline
@TechTalkGuy (Twitter)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,341
So I read in the paper that hundreds of start-ups are interested in Camden (which is the only way Philadelphia could truly grow).

An office tower was mentioned in the article.
Considering how many start-ups are interested could make that actually happen.
Next thing you know, there will be skyscrapers across both rivers (I know this sounds exactly like NYC), but if this plan happens then more skyscrapers will fill the land.

Thoughts?
__________________
The taller, the better
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #252  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 5:30 PM
Mr Saturn64 Mr Saturn64 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Philly
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
So I read in the paper that hundreds of start-ups are interested in Camden (which is the only way Philadelphia could truly grow).

An office tower was mentioned in the article.
Considering how many start-ups are interested could make that actually happen.
Next thing you know, there will be skyscrapers across both rivers (I know this sounds exactly like NYC), but if this plan happens then more skyscrapers will fill the land.

Thoughts?
Realistically speaking, how tall could Camden build? For how the city is now, 350 sounds really nice, but if Camden continues to become a major business center, more skyscrapers in downtown Camden could be a reasonable prospect. I recall that this tower was once planned for somewhere around 600 feet (unrealistic, but cool to think about.) Could that happen in the near future?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #253  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 5:27 PM
TechTalkGuy's Avatar
TechTalkGuy TechTalkGuy is offline
@TechTalkGuy (Twitter)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Realistically speaking, how tall could Camden build? For how the city is now, 350 sounds really nice, but if Camden continues to become a major business center, more skyscrapers in downtown Camden could be a reasonable prospect. I recall that this tower was once planned for somewhere around 600 feet (unrealistic, but cool to think about.) Could that happen in the near future?
If you are thinking long-term (as in 20-30 years), then we could see a small skyline (if demand grows).
Keep in mind that it's been over 30+ years since the height limit in Center City was lifted to make skyscrapers possible for Philadelphia.
When you combine talented developers with young start-ups, the sky's the limit.
__________________
The taller, the better
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #254  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:56 PM
giantSwan's Avatar
giantSwan giantSwan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northeast, United States
Posts: 217
does anyone think this project will spur a lot more growth in camden?

is it time to start investing in property in camden - or too soon?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #255  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 7:23 PM
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
does anyone think this project will spur a lot more growth in camden?

is it time to start investing in property in camden - or too soon?
Probably too soon. All the commercial new construction is artificial and not organic. The NJ State has had to heavily incentivize companies to move their. From here on, the testing point will be whether further growth will be organic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #256  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:59 PM
Philly-Drew's Avatar
Philly-Drew Philly-Drew is offline
Φιλαδέλφεια
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoLibs
Posts: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
does anyone think this project will spur a lot more growth in camden?

is it time to start investing in property in camden - or too soon?
I'm thinking with a smart choice, this is a good time. When it starts to take off, it may be too late. Prices are low, and my thought is that it's unlikely they go lower, which reduces some of the risk.
__________________
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace." :Lennon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #257  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 1:34 AM
PhilliesPhan's Avatar
PhilliesPhan PhilliesPhan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
does anyone think this project will spur a lot more growth in camden?

is it time to start investing in property in camden - or too soon?
If I had the equity and the necessary leverage, I would start buying and rehabbing rowhomes in the Lanning Square neighborhood. With proximity to this new project, the River Line, the Cooper Medical Campus, and Rutgers (somewhat), there are multiple segments within the market that I could market properties to. The big problem with Camden, is that the downtown area is full of not only surface parking lots, but large superblocks. This creates somewhat of a barrier between the established Cooper Grant neighborhood, which is where Rutgers-Camden is located, and other amenities. Once development fills these spots, Cooper Grant and Lanning Square won't feel so far apart.

I'm not well-versed in Camden's zoning code, so I won't comment on ground-up developments; however, I think market conditions are becoming favorable for rehabbing.
__________________
"'Cause I live and breathe this Philadelphia Freedom
From the day that I was born, I've waved the flag"
-Elton John, "Philadelphia Freedom"

Cardinal O'Hara Class of 2013--->Temple University '18
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #258  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 5:03 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Your 2016 AAC Champs!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Polis Philou Adelfou
Posts: 5,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
If I had the equity and the necessary leverage, I would start buying and rehabbing rowhomes in the Lanning Square neighborhood. With proximity to this new project, the River Line, the Cooper Medical Campus, and Rutgers (somewhat), there are multiple segments within the market that I could market properties to. The big problem with Camden, is that the downtown area is full of not only surface parking lots, but large superblocks. This creates somewhat of a barrier between the established Cooper Grant neighborhood, which is where Rutgers-Camden is located, and other amenities. Once development fills these spots, Cooper Grant and Lanning Square won't feel so far apart.

I'm not well-versed in Camden's zoning code, so I won't comment on ground-up developments; however, I think market conditions are becoming favorable for rehabbing.
You're a bit late on that. Lanning Square's been unslumming for a little while.

But the question then becomes ... where after that?
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #259  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 5:06 PM
Philly-Drew's Avatar
Philly-Drew Philly-Drew is offline
Φιλαδέλφεια
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoLibs
Posts: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
You're a bit late on that. Lanning Square's been unslumming for a little while.

But the question then becomes ... where after that?
My thought is just North of the bridge, near the river. That location is very close to the new office buildings being constructed, the old prison site (which is ripe) and to Rutgers. Plus, prices are semi-reasonable.
__________________
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace." :Lennon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #260  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 7:42 PM
TempleGuy1000 TempleGuy1000 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 256
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.