HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 5:12 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

What Is The Weather Today? (No Mercury Jockeying!)

So, the old thread is about to reach its maximum and there is a pattern I notice too much of in these series of threads: people relying on websites or other sources other than their own contributions to describe the weather they must be dealing with and as a consequence turning towards databases to go with the tedious task of trying to rank or compare everything with which is not their own experience or discovery. People are not posting their own work with their own weather stations. So let's say screw it, forget the numbers. Look outside your window and tell us what you see. Go outside to experience the weather first hand and report back to us what you experienced. What preparations did you have to take? What were you able to accomplish under the weather conditions you experienced?

So, for the time being, we are going to let the previous thread reach its conclusion. And then in this thread, we are going to eschew relying on numbers to talk about the weather. You can post pictures you have taken and discuss about those pictures. We can discuss how the built form is responsive to the weather and the failures you notice.

This thread might be a challenge, or it might turn out to be even more fun. No more preposterous claims with vainglorious attempts at using statistics to substantiate such claims. More talking about what you are actually experiencing.

For example, I've looked out the window. It is warm and going to get hot and pleasant today, enough to do anything under the sun should I choose. The clouds are a bunch of cirrus wisps that leave the sky nice and open for the sun to beat down. It is going to be a very pleasant day to sit back with a beer, by a beach or out to the cabin. Suffice to say, I am going to enjoy today.

Now it's your turn.

Last edited by Xelebes; Aug 22, 2016 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 5:30 PM

In Calgary, pleasant and sunny. A little chilly now but will get warmer as the day goes on. Lots and lots of sunshine!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 6:22 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Warm, cloudy, but bright with partial sun. T-shirt and shorts are fine but you can tell that won't be enough after supper. Surprisingly still, at least where I am (dog sitting for a friend), but could be windier elsewhere.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 6:25 PM

I don't see what's wrong with numbers to be honest, I find it kind of interesting, if that's what people want to post what's wrong with it? If you don't like it skip the post.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 6:34 PM

Sunny and dry here in Regina. Went for a bike ride and there was a pleasant SW breeze to keep me cool. After a week of storms the farmers of the prairies would like a month of drought to get the crop off in good shape. There is potential to have bumper crop like 2013.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 6:52 PM

It's going to be too warm again today (it was warm/hot and humid yesterday). Mostly blue sky, warm, almost hot, a few clouds off in the distance in various directions, a slight gentle breeze. It's often much warmer here than at the airport.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 7:28 PM

A virtually cloudless day in Vancouver, so far. I will dress for the "heat" and will seek shade whenever possible as I'm out and about. I expect it to be pretty warm in the direct sun but comfortable in the shade. All windows and doors are wide open with the fans going (like most in Vancouver, I don't have air conditioning). I will be having a cold supper so as to not heat up the apartment.

I had a friend from Manhattan visiting this past week and he found the weather here a huge relief from the sweltering heat in New York. As a senior, I don't celebrate heatwaves so this summer in Vancouver has been pretty nice for my own liking.

Homer St., downtown Vancouver, Aug.14 '16, my pic

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 8:46 PM

Ottawa had a temperature today. Several of them, in fact. Also a humidex and a percentage of humidity. Apparently that's all you are allowed to know....

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 9:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I predict this thread is going to get very boring very quickly. With that, I'm off to the old weather thread.........

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 9:10 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I don't see what's wrong with numbers to be honest, I find it kind of interesting, if that's what people want to post what's wrong with it? If you don't like it skip the post.
It's not the numbers that are the problem but the need to try and compare them and make preposterous claims which choke a thread. But I will make a compromise: you can post yourself images or videos of you measuring things like taking a picture of the thermometer you have on your window, or you walking outside with a ruler to measure that hailstone or the depth of snow. I think it captures well what you do with the outdoors if you bother to do that.

Edit: I did originally create a thread on a writers forum with this theme. Words, no numbers. It was actually fun. Well, except for the engineers who struggled a bit.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Ottawa had a temperature today. Several of them, in fact. Also a humidex and a percentage of humidity. Apparently that's all you are allowed to know....
If anyone cared about those details, why wouldn't they simply go on to Environment Canada's website and check them for themselves?

The fact is the old thread was absurd. It involved people posting numbers, some banal commentary on how X > Y therefore X is better than Y, and people copy and pasting forecasts which are readily available from other sources.

At the end of the day, that kind of commentary was attracting only a certain kind of contributor in general, and the interesting posts by guys like mcminsen were just lost in a sea of absolute garbage.

I think by actually forcing people to talk about weather outside of the banal commentary, the quality will be much higher, ie. more mcminsen-style posters who actually makes an effort to post pictures and describe the situation on the ground.

I think the one exception should be extraordinary weather events, such as record cold, record highs, and things that are actually interesting from a meteorological perspective. Outside of that, let's raise the level of discourse.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 2:47 AM

As mcminsen stated, hot sunny day here in Vancouver. Headed down to Hastings Park to catch the ponies with a few friends. Did all right, won on all three races and picked the winner on the last field of 10. I too have no a/c and up on the 26th floor it can get steamy in the afternoon. Beautiful week ahead!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I predict this thread is going to get very boring very quickly. With that, I'm off to the old weather thread.........
Good. You just described the majority of your posts.

http://purplehelmetrod.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 8:32 AM

Quote:
If you don't like this thread, why not skip it?

+1 to this thread. If I was in Canada right now I'd describe my weather. Probably summery.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 9:09 AM

Right...

Skip an entire thread instead of a couple posts.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Right...

Skip an entire thread instead of a couple posts.

Calgary weather has been consistantly warm. However, this is the most rain I ahve ever experience in the decade since I moved from Winnipeg. I hae to admit that I do enjoy the Calgarians being annoyed at the amount of bugs in the city. It's a fraction of what you can expect in Manitoba, so It has no effect whatsoever on me.

http://purplehelmetrod.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 12:07 PM

Awoke in Ottawa this morning to ... weather.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 12:46 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Calgary weather has been consistantly warm. However, this is the most rain I ahve ever experience in the decade since I moved from Winnipeg. I hae to admit that I do enjoy the Calgarians being annoyed at the amount of bugs in the city. It's a fraction of what you can expect in Manitoba, so It has no effect whatsoever on me.
Can't agree, I've lived in Calgary for 37 years now and aside from July/August being the wettest I can recall, they have also been the coolest for high daytime temperatures as well. A great year for the farmers assuming they'll be able to get their crops off of the fields successfully. Everything is very nice and green for this time of year in Calgary, I last watered my yard sometime back in early June - the really big problem is trying to find a small window of opportunity whereas the lawn is actually dry enough to mow it.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 12:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Same as yesterday. Skies bluer. Wispy, high-altitude clouds again, but also some close, fluffy ones.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 1:42 PM

This is as pointless as a statistics thread with no numbers, no thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada