HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1001  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 4:49 AM
Pemgin Pemgin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 317
They should drop the "Place" and have it be named Opus.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1002  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 11:38 AM
bigstick's Avatar
bigstick bigstick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: 30327
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
They should drop the "Place" and have it be named Opus.
I agree. Plus, this sits on a high spot on 14th street which will make it look even taller....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1003  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 1:34 PM
shivtim's Avatar
shivtim shivtim is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Midtown Atlanta
Posts: 1,273
Modera Midtown, NCR headquarters, and Hanover West Peachtree.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1004  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 2:48 PM
sbrptree sbrptree is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 197
Crane going up at lilli http://a67.tinypic.com/2w5q2yb.jpg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1005  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 5:20 PM
micropundit micropundit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,820
Midtown’s iconic peach-topped building could be SCAD dorm.


http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/11/18...peachtree-scad
According to a source, the Savannah College of Art and Design — whose Atlanta campus sits across the street — could potentially be eyeing the building for new dormitory space.While work in May on the building turned out to be no more than a cell tower replacement, our tipster indicates the school has gone so far as to engage design services for the building.
Still, according to property records, SCAD is not the owner of the building yet, meaning the proposal could be nothing more than a pie-in-the-sky desire.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1006  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 10:11 PM
Frankster87 Frankster87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta - Midtown
Posts: 269
880 West Peachtree

Awful lot of moving trucks at the Drew Eckl & Farnham building

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1007  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 10:36 PM
sbrptree sbrptree is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 197


lilli crane is up
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1008  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 10:43 PM
Street Advocate Street Advocate is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,120
2017 could be a huge year for this part of Midtown. Lilli, Hanover Midtown, Eviva, 880 Peachtree, Coda, The Standard, and NCR Phase II. All within a few blocks of one another. Quite the buzz going on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1009  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 11:45 PM
ATLSkyPalaceOwner ATLSkyPalaceOwner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
2017 could be a huge year for this part of Midtown. Lilli, Hanover Midtown, Eviva, 880 Peachtree, Coda, The Standard, and NCR Phase II. All within a few blocks of one another. Quite the buzz going on.
+Opus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1010  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 12:29 AM
alco89 alco89 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkyPalaceOwner View Post
+Opus
Not really "this part of Midtown" like the others he listed.

I'm really excited for Opus though, even if I'm a bit skeptical.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1011  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 12:36 AM
DWNTWN DWNTWN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Downtown Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
Crane going up at lilli http://a67.tinypic.com/2w5q2yb.jpg
Now this is downright exciting!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1012  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 1:54 AM
Pemgin Pemgin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 317
Was expecting lilli's crane to be like the one for Yoo.

I understand the skepticism around Opus. I mean, there are other cities I'd expect to get a 900' condo tower before Atlanta, but Atlanta is growing like crazy and adding thousands of premium jobs. Empty nest retirees are moving intown, which is a relatively new phenomenon. Furthermore, this building was designed to be a landmark. It's going to be second only to BOA Plaza as the most conspicuous structure on the skyline. That's exciting in a way that projects such as Seventh and OMP aren't, and could drive sales. And they've lined up an impressive team behind the project. It has a good chance, I think. Maybe foreign investors will take notice and buy in like they do in NYC, Miami, LA, etc.

Last edited by Pemgin; Nov 19, 2016 at 2:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1013  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 1:13 PM
tdawg's Avatar
tdawg tdawg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NY,NY
Posts: 2,126
Regarding Opus, you have a lot of wealthy celebrities and movie execs now flying in and out of Atlanta to film and maybe it will appeal to them as their home base in the city? It the developers are smart they'll advertise the building in the NYTimes and papers like Variety and the Hollywood Reporter.
__________________
Creative Director in New York City
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1014  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 1:16 PM
sbrptree sbrptree is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
2017 could be a huge year for this part of Midtown. Lilli, Hanover Midtown, Eviva, 880 Peachtree, Coda, The Standard, and NCR Phase II. All within a few blocks of one another. Quite the buzz going on.
I agree completely. I think with the "planned" closing of the Peachtree-Pine shelter (tough issue I know) this area could become like north Midtown in time and certainly MUCH more lively in a few years. Lilli is exciting to me (and possibly Eviva) because it's such an amazing design unlike anything we have seen in Atlanta.

Opus would be a game changer too - and our skyline needs a refresher at that magnitude.

Just hope we weather the next recession ok....as we'll likely see one sooner than later if history holds.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1015  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 5:59 PM
Chris Creech's Avatar
Chris Creech Chris Creech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
lilli crane is up
Funny I was just about to post almost that exact same picture, from the same exact spot. That's the steps of the building where my office is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1016  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 7:17 PM
RocketSurgeon's Avatar
RocketSurgeon RocketSurgeon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
I agree completely. I think with the "planned" closing of the Peachtree-Pine shelter (tough issue I know) this area could become like north Midtown in time and certainly MUCH more lively in a few years. Lilli is exciting to me (and possibly Eviva) because it's such an amazing design unlike anything we have seen in Atlanta.
I'd argue that the shelter is more of a Downtown problem. The southern part of Midtown is bustling; there seems to be more pedestrian activity between 10th and Ponce there than anywhere else in the neighborhood. North of that, Spring is mostly vacant and there isn't much retail on Peachtree. Of course that's changing as we speak, but for now if you looked at a heat map of activity you'd probably see most of it concentrated in the southern half. I consider projects like Hanover and lilli to be polish at this point, and things like Coda are really just an extension of Tech Square. The projects in the northern half are truly transformative, though... it's a bit of a ghost town now but in a few years it sould be as active as the areas farther south.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1017  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 7:39 PM
Atlanta3000's Avatar
Atlanta3000 Atlanta3000 is offline
Urban Cowboy
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Buckhead
Posts: 1,383
200 Room Hotel and 300 Condos - 274 Boulevard Ave (O4W)

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...67894?rt=31157
__________________
Dang!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1018  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 8:11 PM
arjay57 arjay57 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by micropundit View Post

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/11/18...peachtree-scad
According to a source, the Savannah College of Art and Design — whose Atlanta campus sits across the street — could potentially be eyeing the building for new dormitory space.While work in May on the building turned out to be no more than a cell tower replacement, our tipster indicates the school has gone so far as to engage design services for the building.
Still, according to property records, SCAD is not the owner of the building yet, meaning the proposal could be nothing more than a pie-in-the-sky desire.
It will sure be nice to see this site improved. Even under the most dystopian standards, this has to be one of the ugliest creations ever.

Did any architect or developer ever think that looked sharp? Not much to look at on the inside either.

And it's one of the most high profile spots in the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1019  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 9:37 PM
sbrptree sbrptree is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
I'd argue that the shelter is more of a Downtown problem. The southern part of Midtown is bustling; there seems to be more pedestrian activity between 10th and Ponce there than anywhere else in the neighborhood. North of that, Spring is mostly vacant and there isn't much retail on Peachtree. Of course that's changing as we speak, but for now if you looked at a heat map of activity you'd probably see most of it concentrated in the southern half. I consider projects like Hanover and lilli to be polish at this point, and things like Coda are really just an extension of Tech Square. The projects in the northern half are truly transformative, though... it's a bit of a ghost town now but in a few years it sould be as active as the areas farther south.

I should have clarified what I meant by south Midtown...which is south of 6th down to Emory/Crawford Long and the Connector. There is not alot of pedestrian activity in the evenings south of 5th to North unless the Fox is having a show. I think Lillii will change this some and hopefully also bring more residential down that stretch.

Midtown between 6th and 17th is definitely bustling!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1020  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 11:20 PM
TarHeelJ TarHeelJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It will sure be nice to see this site improved. Even under the most dystopian standards, this has to be one of the ugliest creations ever.

Did any architect or developer ever think that looked sharp? Not much to look at on the inside either.

And it's one of the most high profile spots in the city.
I think being in the hands of SCAD is the best we can hope for with this fortress. If anyone can do something transformative with this thing, they can.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:57 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.