HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 1:20 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
C'est quoi l'affaire?
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 26,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Latest poll of Canadians shows 76% would vote for Clinton.

Regionally, the prairies are the most pro-Trump.

http://www.ipsos-na.com/news-polls/p...e.aspx?id=7459
Poppycock. Everyone who reads SSP knows that conservatism and progressivism are evenly distributed across the country, and that no region is more conservative than another.
__________________
This is not a joke.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 1:26 AM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,894
It's like how I learned on here today that California isn't really a blue state. The things you learn on SSP.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 1:36 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
C'est quoi l'affaire?
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 26,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
It's like how I learned on here today that California isn't really a blue state. The things you learn on SSP.
Well, Clinton has 20 point lead there and they've voted for every Dem president since 1992. Looks pretty blue to me.
__________________
This is not a joke.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 1:38 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant
Posts: 3,623
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 1:43 AM
geotag277 geotag277 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,845
Trump is the least conservative Republican party nominee, potentially in the history of the party. He is anti free trade, he loudly criticizes US foreign policy, he walks around stages holding the rainbow flag, he invites openly gay speakers at the national convention, he lambasted Hillary for accepting money from countries who have histories of human rights violations against gay people. Died in the wool American conservatives hate Trump. If we are equating Trump with modern American conservatism than words have truly lost all meaning.

Regarding red state and blue state, I wouldn't challenge that California is a blue state, but that being said, in 2012 almost 40% of voters choose Romney. Texas is a red state, but about 40% of voters in 2012 voted for Obama.

Yes, these states have their traditional colors, but that doesn't mean there aren't extremely large pockets of support for the other party in those places.

Texas may turn into a blue state in some of our lifetimes - depending of course if the current political parties are defined as they are today. The deep south used to be solidly blue until the civil rights act, after all, which had the effect of drastically changing the political positions of both parties. If there is a fundamental shift, who knows, California could also turn "red".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 1:50 AM
GreaterMontréal's Avatar
GreaterMontréal GreaterMontréal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,020
Quote:
Texas may turn into a blue state in some of our lifetimes -
very true, big cities = Democrats
__________________
Montréal métropolitain
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 1:54 AM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, Clinton has 20 point lead there and they've voted for every Dem president since 1992. Looks pretty blue to me.
I was being facetious.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:03 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
C'est quoi l'affaire?
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 26,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Trump is the least conservative Republican party nominee, potentially in the history of the party. He is anti free trade, he loudly criticizes US foreign policy, he walks around stages holding the rainbow flag, he invites openly gay speakers at the national convention, he lambasted Hillary for accepting money from countries who have histories of human rights violations against gay people. Died in the wool American conservatives hate Trump. If we are equating Trump with modern American conservatism than words have truly lost all meaning.

Regarding red state and blue state, I wouldn't challenge that California is a blue state, but that being said, in 2012 almost 40% of voters choose Romney. Texas is a red state, but about 40% of voters in 2012 voted for Obama.

Yes, these states have their traditional colors, but that doesn't mean there aren't extremely large pockets of support for the other party in those places.

Texas may turn into a blue state in some of our lifetimes - depending of course if the current political parties are defined as they are today. The deep south used to be solidly blue until the civil rights act, after all, which had the effect of drastically changing the political positions of both parties. If there is a fundamental shift, who knows, California could also turn "red".
There are good points in there but something tells me you're actually setting up a subsequent post claiming that the Prairies (esp. Alberta) aren't really "conservative".
__________________
This is not a joke.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:04 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant
Posts: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Trump is the least conservative Republican party nominee, potentially in the history of the party. He is anti free trade, he loudly criticizes US foreign policy, he walks around stages holding the rainbow flag, he invites openly gay speakers at the national convention, he lambasted Hillary for accepting money from countries who have histories of human rights violations against gay people. Died in the wool American conservatives hate Trump. If we are equating Trump with modern American conservatism than words have truly lost all meaning.

Regarding red state and blue state, I wouldn't challenge that California is a blue state, but that being said, in 2012 almost 40% of voters choose Romney. Texas is a red state, but about 40% of voters in 2012 voted for Obama.

Yes, these states have their traditional colors, but that doesn't mean there aren't extremely large pockets of support for the other party in those places.

Texas may turn into a blue state in some of our lifetimes - depending of course if the current political parties are defined as they are today. The deep south used to be solidly blue until the civil rights act, after all, which had the effect of drastically changing the political positions of both parties. If there is a fundamental shift, who knows, California could also turn "red".
Didn't the Republican Party lose their way years ago? Hence the term "Neo Con".

Seems that Ron Paul, who ran last time, best fits the description as an actual conservative. He was painted in the media as an outsider and a kook. The tv news media has a ridiculous amount of influence on people, but the internet seems to be evening things out, as seen with the rise in popularity of Bernie Sanders.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 3:00 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 11,202
Interesting that it is BC and Quebec that seem to be the most anti-Trump.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/306346...h/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0...lhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 3:43 AM
Doady's Avatar
Doady Doady is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,821
I hope Trump wins. I've watched Sicko, so I know exactly what Hillary Clinton is like. Last thing the USA needs is the status quo. I am looking forward to a destabilized USA, and destabilization of the establishment that intefered with democracy and prevented Bernie Sanders from getting a fair chance at the nomination. I am looking forward to USA acting a democracy, where people have the power, not the corporations. More specifically, what I'm most looking forward to is Trump coming in and ripping up NAFTA. My mom had a unionized job for many years, and they moved the factory to Mexico and she lost her job. Free trade benefits the corporations, not the people, and the corporations the ones that are pulling Hillary Clinton's strings, so fuck her.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 4:32 AM
csbvan's Avatar
csbvan csbvan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
I hope Trump wins. I've watched Sicko, so I know exactly what Hillary Clinton is like. Last thing the USA needs is the status quo. I am looking forward to a destabilized USA, and destabilization of the establishment that intefered with democracy and prevented Bernie Sanders from getting a fair chance at the nomination. I am looking forward to USA acting a democracy, where people have the power, not the corporations. More specifically, what I'm most looking forward to is Trump coming in and ripping up NAFTA. My mom had a unionized job for many years, and they moved the factory to Mexico and she lost her job. Free trade benefits the corporations, not the people, and the corporations the ones that are pulling Hillary Clinton's strings, so fuck her.
Don't forget blacklisting critical media. Democracy!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 4:34 AM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,894
Clinton has once again surpassed 70% on fivethirtyeight, and the democrats have a 50.1% chance of a senate majority.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 4:36 AM
csbvan's Avatar
csbvan csbvan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Trump is the least conservative Republican party nominee, potentially in the history of the party. He is anti free trade, he loudly criticizes US foreign policy, he walks around stages holding the rainbow flag, he invites openly gay speakers at the national convention, he lambasted Hillary for accepting money from countries who have histories of human rights violations against gay people. Died in the wool American conservatives hate Trump. If we are equating Trump with modern American conservatism than words have truly lost all meaning.

Regarding red state and blue state, I wouldn't challenge that California is a blue state, but that being said, in 2012 almost 40% of voters choose Romney. Texas is a red state, but about 40% of voters in 2012 voted for Obama.

Yes, these states have their traditional colors, but that doesn't mean there aren't extremely large pockets of support for the other party in those places.

Texas may turn into a blue state in some of our lifetimes - depending of course if the current political parties are defined as they are today. The deep south used to be solidly blue until the civil rights act, after all, which had the effect of drastically changing the political positions of both parties. If there is a fundamental shift, who knows, California could also turn "red".
That's true. Trump did indeed prove how irrelevant the conservative movement is in the U.S. It isn't even a commanding force in the Republican party. It is essentially a dwindling fringe movement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 5:07 AM
enrigue8's Avatar
enrigue8 enrigue8 is offline
Mr president
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: ottawa
Posts: 91
It can happen.
If trump don t win, he will challenge the result and not accept his defeat.
He will call her supporters to go out and destroy everything.
It possible that USA enter in a civil war.
__________________
World class architecture for Canada please!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 5:37 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant
Posts: 3,623
Ehh. I could see Trump inspiring some domestic terrorism though. His supporters are truly delusional.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 5:53 AM
geotag277 geotag277 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
That's true. Trump did indeed prove how irrelevant the conservative movement is in the U.S. It isn't even a commanding force in the Republican party. It is essentially a dwindling fringe movement.
I wouldn't say it's fringe. Figures like Romney and Paul Ryan and others which represent traditional American conservatism are still widespread throughout the republican party.

I would say Sanders also proved how fractured the Democratic party is. In reality, the USA is politically diverse enough to support 4 major parties (roughly, Sanders, Clinton, Romney, and Trump) - and the 2016 election has showed just how flawed and inadequate the two party system is in representing American voices.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 6:05 AM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,894
I don't think Trump represents anyone but Trump. In his place I'd probably say Ron Paul or maybe Rand Paul
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 6:06 AM
Loco101's Avatar
Loco101 Loco101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Timmins, Northern Ontario
Posts: 1,666
I can't believe that some people are still thinking that Trump has a chance. Just the loss of many female and Hispanic voters who normally would vote Republican has killed him of any chance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 6:47 AM
geotag277 geotag277 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I can't believe that some people are still thinking that Trump has a chance. Just the loss of many female and Hispanic voters who normally would vote Republican has killed him of any chance.
Some people support a data oriented view instead of off the cuff by the gut assessments of the likelihood of a candidacy based on wishful thinking and partisan ideologies.

He is the heavy underdog, but by all reasonable metrics, it has between 1 in 4 to 1 in 3 shot at winning the presidency, and that is at least 3x as likely as Romney was in 2012.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:29 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.