HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 1:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

For what it's worth it appears this controversy comes up every brier so it's not as diving or new as the people offended are implying.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Well, at 3-5 they're not looking so hot this year.
You have to take into account that another Alberta team is Team Canada (Koe). The current team representing Alberta would probably not even be there if Team Canada was not from Alberta. Last I saw, Koe is doing fairly well.

Much like when Simmons won the Brier as Team Canada, a repeat win by Koe should be considered an Alberta win.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Do you curl? I'm not and I don't follow it, but I get the impression that sportsmanship is a pretty big deal in the curling world.
Cheering when the other curling team misses a shot is a little off when it comes to crowd etiquette, especially when the opposing team you are cheering for has no part in the play of action at that moment. It's like cheering when each of all the other golfers in a tourny dunks a shot in the sand bunker or water hazard when home town golfer is playing in same tourny.

Cheering when there's a missed shot by one of two players in tennis would be ok because other player is directly affecting play of other tennis opponent. When the other player or team has no affect on opposing teams shot such as in curling, its just plan rude to cheer for a missed opponents shot, as a curler playing or an audience watching.

I get the impression the Brier in St John is a really big thing for the residence there and even though I don't believe the Newfoundland team has ever won a Brier before, if they do this year the community will really be excited and give accolades like keys-to-the-town or name a street after skip or something..

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 5:50 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
I get the impression the Brier in St John is a really big thing for the residence there and even though I don't believe the Newfoundland team has ever won a Brier before, if they do this year the community will really be excited and give accolades like keys-to-the-town or name a street after skip or something..
Funny you should mention that... NL is no stranger to curling success.

That said, Manitoba is killing it this year, so... maybe next year

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 5:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We've only won one before, Sask. I believe it was in 1976.

Team Gushue already has a highway named after them here as a result of their Olympic gold. But the joke is if they win the Brier the province will finally finish it. The highway currently only connects Kenmount Road with our ring road. It will eventually go on to Topsail Road and then Pitts Memorial Drive. It'll be the outer-most crosstown arterial.

Also love that explanation of why cheering at such moments is questionable. Makes sense to me.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 6:05 PM

^^ oh jeez, sorry I didn't put much thought into researching this first,
I was just thinking I know that one of the bridges in Saskatoon was named after Gordie Howe recently (as well as one in Detroit where Howe played) so, that's why I thought about naming of road or something..

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 6:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

NL vs ON is starting. Polite cheers for ON when it was announced but also very obvious, audible booing from enough people to tell it wasn't just one or two.

People brought in pots/pans and even some vuvuzelas lol. I think they're pissed ON's skip called them out, even though he was very diplomatic.

Was telling my friend J. about it, she's not following this at all, and as soon as I said he called us out very diplomatically, her face turned serious and she said, with some embarrassment, "Oh no. That's not going to work out for him. People are going to be much worse out of spite now." . We really are awful sometimes.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 10, 2017 at 10:56 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 7:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

BackTalk on VOCM lol Host said it apparently happens everywhere, and the Italians when Gushue won gold cheered every missed shot against him.

Then he says maybe it's a cultural difference and Ontario is simply reserved, uptight, cold, humorless compared to here.

Such strong language I actually blushed just listening. He literally ranted off a long list of terms like that lol da fuk is happening.

Curling Canada posted a video of the singing of the anthems before the game. Whoever we got to sing our Ode sounds like a questionable choice:

https://twitter.com/CurlingCanada/st...08227169013762

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 7:10 PM

Is it because the beer is so cheap? That usually gets folks rowdy.

If people are banging pots and stuff, security could take care of that real quick. Unless they're also on the cheap beer.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 7:25 PM

The same thing (large noisy crowds, clutching at pearls from the curling establishment) happened in Vancouver during the Olympics in 2010. Golf went through the same sort of thing a decade ago. Has it hurt either sport? Not really. Have both sports opened up to larger crowds and gained popularity because of it? Probably.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 2:18 AM

Alberta having a historically bad tournament this year

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 9:03 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

And we're in the playoffs.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 9:19 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

George Street is going to be insane all weekend. I'm excited. It's been a madhouse all week, but throw in the regular weekend locals as well... can't wait!

And next weekend is Paddy's Day. Monday is the holiday so it'll be a busier Sunday night as well.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 10, 2017 at 10:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 10:47 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I wish we had one national/international event of even this modest scale of our own, to be held here every year. The feeling in the city is amazing - people clearly love hosting and showing off. It'd be nice to have something annual, especially at this time of year to kick off the tourist season. It's like the Royal St. John's Regatta on steroids, with guests, and at a more useful time of year for the distraction.

The city is small enough that something like this completely dominates every aspect of life. It's a really enjoyable feeling.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 11:05 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Also, shout out to the fans chanting (as opposed to the Northern Ontario team) "Regular Ontario!"

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 1:51 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I wish we had one national/international event of even this modest scale of our own, to be held here every year. The feeling in the city is amazing - people clearly love hosting and showing off. It'd be nice to have something annual, especially at this time of year to kick off the tourist season. It's like the Royal St. John's Regatta on steroids, with guests, and at a more useful time of year for the distraction.

The city is small enough that something like this completely dominates every aspect of life. It's a really enjoyable feeling.
And yet their are some people who think spending money to bring large sporting events to their cities are a waste of money.....

Fantastic game last night between Team Alberta (f off with this team canada shit, Koe is Team Alberta #1) and Newfoundland.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 3:08 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
And yet their are some people who think spending money to bring large sporting events to their cities are a waste of money.....
An event like the Brier makes perfect sense... low cost, solid bang for the buck. It's the ones that require new infrastructure that are a bit more of a problem.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post

Fantastic game last night between Team Alberta (f off with this team canada shit, Koe is Team Alberta #1) and Newfoundland.
I pointed this out earlier (see post #42), but haters gonna hate. I guess when you win 11 of the last 20 Briers, people will be jealous. Note that I am a huge fan of Team Manitoba, and hope that they get back to the level of success previously enjoyed by Jeff Stoughton! But I'm not sure that the casual curling fan is aware of just how dominant Alberta has been in this sport over the last 50 years.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 9:09 PM

Even with two teams in it, it's disappointing to see Alberta falter. Nonetheless, it's a very young team and they've got a lot of years ahead of them. In a way it's refreshing to see a new generation of teams coming out of AB.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 11:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The Rooms has a temporary exhibit up about the history of curling in Newfoundland. It's one of the oldest continuing sports on the island, having arrived here in the early 1800s.

Newfoundland versus Manitoba starting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada