HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 11:05 PM
BretttheRiderFan's Avatar
BretttheRiderFan BretttheRiderFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,667
Future Rapid Transit, LRT, BRT, Commuter Rail in Canada

Discuss proposed, approved, potential rapid transit extensions, LRT lines, BRT, commuter rail opportunities in Canadian cities and regions, etc.

Try to have a little fun and maybe even be a bit creative in the discussion of where you'd like to see these things built and developed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 11:26 PM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 8,090
Proposed ground rule for this thread: No arguing over what counts as a "metro".

Everyone in favour?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 11:31 PM
BretttheRiderFan's Avatar
BretttheRiderFan BretttheRiderFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,667
I was careful to avoid even using the words "metro" or "subway"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 5:58 AM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,574
Downtown relief line is the most necessary infrastructure in the country.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 9:36 AM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,315
Just an LRT line from Davenport to the Lake on Bay Street.

To get rid of the congestion on Yonge Subway.
__________________
Learn Here about the 200 Skyscrapers U/C in Toronto The Toronto Skyscraper Blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 3:29 PM
manny_santos's Avatar
manny_santos manny_santos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willowdale
Posts: 3,046
In Toronto, I think a series of LRT lines are needed. There are parts of the city where it currently takes double or triple the time to get downtown via the TTC than it does to drive at rush hour. "Smartrack" could be the solution; I live near a GO station on the Richmond Hill Line but it currently takes even longer than the TTC to get downtown from my neighbourhood.
__________________
Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 3:33 PM
manny_santos's Avatar
manny_santos manny_santos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willowdale
Posts: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Just an LRT line from Davenport to the Lake on Bay Street.

To get rid of the congestion on Yonge Subway.
I would also replace Toronto's entire streetcar network with LRTs and subways, though in several areas the existing streetcar infrastructure can be used for LRT. Spadina needs fewer stops and some grade separations. The King and Queen streetcars are incredibly inefficient and one of them should be entirely underground.
__________________
Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 7:21 PM
SkahHigh's Avatar
SkahHigh SkahHigh is offline
More transit please
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,899
There's already a similar thread concerning LRT or rapid transit projects but I see this one involves BRT and commuter rail...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 8:10 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,315
Well, that thread was also "supposed" to be for Under-Construction projects.

So in the end does it really matter? This thread is like the wish list, I think there may have been a similar thread before, but I'm not sure.
__________________
Learn Here about the 200 Skyscrapers U/C in Toronto The Toronto Skyscraper Blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 10:11 PM
ue ue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Notleygrad, Albertastan
Posts: 8,718
Halifax, Quebec City, Hamilton, London, Niagara Falls, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Victoria should have LRT.

Charlottetown, Moncton, Trois-Rivieres, Sherbrooke, Kingston, Peterborough, Guelph, Regina, Lethbridge, Kelowna, and Nanaimo should have streetcars.

Toronto should have a DRL/Queen subway, College subway, and I could even see a case for Eglinton being subway. LRT is fine for it, though I wonder about it's usefulness 50 years down the road.

Kitchener and Ottawa should've had LRT decades ago. Edmonton should've had lines to NAIT, Mill Woods, and the West End decades ago. Calgary's C-Train should've never been built above ground and Edmonton's future lines shouldn't be above ground downtown. It's cheap and causes issues down the road. The Metro to Laval should extend to Carrefour Laval and area.

Only Vancouver, Calgary (ish), and Montreal really have decent transit coverage. I guess a case could be argued for Ottawa as well, with its robust BRT.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 12:16 AM
manny_santos's Avatar
manny_santos manny_santos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willowdale
Posts: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Halifax, Quebec City, Hamilton, London, Niagara Falls, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Victoria should have LRT.

Charlottetown, Moncton, Trois-Rivieres, Sherbrooke, Kingston, Peterborough, Guelph, Regina, Lethbridge, Kelowna, and Nanaimo should have streetcars.

Toronto should have a DRL/Queen subway, College subway, and I could even see a case for Eglinton being subway. LRT is fine for it, though I wonder about it's usefulness 50 years down the road.

Kitchener and Ottawa should've had LRT decades ago. Edmonton should've had lines to NAIT, Mill Woods, and the West End decades ago. Calgary's C-Train should've never been built above ground and Edmonton's future lines shouldn't be above ground downtown. It's cheap and causes issues down the road. The Metro to Laval should extend to Carrefour Laval and area.

Only Vancouver, Calgary (ish), and Montreal really have decent transit coverage. I guess a case could be argued for Ottawa as well, with its robust BRT.
I'm not sure Kingston needs streetcars. They've got a good thing going with their new express bus service. It just needs some traffic signal priority and it's good to go.
__________________
Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 12:44 AM
BretttheRiderFan's Avatar
BretttheRiderFan BretttheRiderFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
There's already a similar thread concerning LRT or rapid transit projects but I see this one involves BRT and commuter rail...
I apologize if this topic has already been posted. I think I'd rather have it as more of a wish-list type thread, as previously mentioned by somebody else. If it needs to be merged with another thread, I'd have no problem with that either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 12:47 AM
BretttheRiderFan's Avatar
BretttheRiderFan BretttheRiderFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,667
I'd like to see some real BRT in the Edmonton area. There's no reason we shouldn't have transitways, separated lanes and right of ways, dedicated stations that function much like LRT, etc. I heard Iveson in a Facebook live session discuss the possibility of a future commuter rail line to Leduc or the airport, that would be great (it's not on the cards in the immediate future, but in the long term would be great). LRT isn't really feasible to that distance given the fact that it would take well over an hour to get into the central city, especially considering that there would obviously be further stations built in that time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 1:50 AM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 8,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I'm not sure Kingston needs streetcars. They've got a good thing going with their new express bus service. It just needs some traffic signal priority and it's good to go.
We already have transit priority at a few intersections, and a bunch more were funded in Kingston Transit's 2017 five-year plan.

I'll agree that streetcars don't serve much of a point. I have a hard time seeing what meaningful improvement they'd have over bus transit given the large capital expense. Especially with bus electrification on the horizon in the future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:43 AM
Rollerstud98 Rollerstud98 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
We already have transit priority at a few intersections, and a bunch more were funded in Kingston Transit's 2017 five-year plan.

I'll agree that streetcars don't serve much of a point. I have a hard time seeing what meaningful improvement they'd have over bus transit given the large capital expense. Especially with bus electrification on the horizon in the future.
I'm sorry to hear that, probably the ugliest thing that can happen to a city. I'm feeling sick to my stomach just thinking about the cables running everywhere and I've never even been to Kingston!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 6:05 AM
BretttheRiderFan's Avatar
BretttheRiderFan BretttheRiderFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,667
I thought 1overcosc was talking about electric buses, not trolley buses?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 6:14 AM
Rollerstud98 Rollerstud98 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 568
Well hopefully. Buses are a great application for electric motors.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 7:48 AM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 8,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
I thought 1overcosc was talking about electric buses, not trolley buses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Well hopefully. Buses are a great application for electric motors.
Yes, I meant battery electric buses. And there's nothing specifically happening in Kingston on that front; more just that I meant that in the coming decades, buses will probably be electric. That eliminates a lot of the environmental and acceleration-speed advantages streetcars have over buses... meaning that, IMO, going forward, building new streetcar networks to replace local buses doesn't make much sense.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:02 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Riverside/Sunshine Coast
Posts: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I would also replace Toronto's entire streetcar network with LRTs and subways, though in several areas the existing streetcar infrastructure can be used for LRT. Spadina needs fewer stops and some grade separations. The King and Queen streetcars are incredibly inefficient and one of them should be entirely underground.
Hell no. The only people that seem to hate the streetcars are those who don't use them and those who drive in the city. You can't replace those lines with LRT's or subways because you need a vehicle that can make many stops. The only thing that could replace them would be buses but they are less efficient and way less comfortable. It's time to remove cars from King during rush hour. Cars create traffic not the streetcars.
__________________
I'm insidious! LOL
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 6:44 PM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, probably the ugliest thing that can happen to a city. I'm feeling sick to my stomach just thinking about the cables running everywhere and I've never even been to Kingston!
Huh, funny. Those cables are probably the one thing I like about streetcars.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:31 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.