HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Waterloo has had blue/green bins for a while, but has recently changed to collecting garbage (4 bags/bins) and yard waste every two weeks, and collecting the blue and green bins weekly. This is true in both urban and rural areas. Tags for excess garbage can be bought for $2 each.
K-W may be the birthplace of the blue bin, but the uptake on green bins has been weak. We'll see if the change to bi-weekly garbage collection doesn't improve green bin usage.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 2:51 AM

In Halifax we have green bins for compost (first such program in Canada, I think), blue bags for recyclables (which people must buy themselves) and bags for other garbage, 1 of which per collection can be black, but the rest must be clear. Larger buildings generally have dumpsters for garbage/recyclables + green bins. AFAIK all types of plastic are recycled here except for styrofoam. Recyclables are collected weekly in my area and compost/garbage alternate weeks.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 1:03 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We have two bins here in Gatineau:

- blue is for recycling

- brown is for compost

And regular garbage cans for the rest.

The pickup for the blue and brown is mechanized with arms but there are still guys who line the bins up.

Our garbage is only picked up every two weeks. Recycling is every two weeks in the alternate weeks.

Compost is weekly.
Having lived in other cities with different programs, I have to say I really like Gatineau's recycling program. 1 giant bin, everything recyclable goes in it - no sorting. Plus the bin has a big sturdy lid so that recyclable papers don't end up all over the neighbourhood on windy days.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 1:29 PM
C'est quoi l'affaire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Having lived in other cities with different programs, I have to say I really like Gatineau's recycling program. 1 giant bin, everything recyclable goes in it - no sorting. Plus the bin has a big sturdy lid so that recyclable papers don't end up all over the neighbourhood on windy days.
Gatineau, like all cities in Quebec I am pretty sure, has a mandated target of 60% "diversion" or whatever you call it. Basically 60% of waste has to go to recycling or composting.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 5:08 PM

I wonder how much waste is actually diverted in our big cities where 1/3-1/2 of people live in multifamily apartments and condos that might have private garbage pickup.

In many of those buildings, my impression is that waste diversion practices are horrible. If your option is to throw a bag down the garbage chute on your floor, or physically transport yourself 30 floors down to the basement to separate your recyclables, it's pretty likely that the most of the recyclables are going to wind up in the landfill.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 9:53 PM

in our building in coquitlam, we have 2 garbage bins, 1 bin for cardboard, 1 small bin for all recyclables and 1 small smelly bin for food scraps.

when the recycling bin gets filled up, which is only a couple days, it all goes in the garbage bin.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I wonder how much waste is actually diverted in our big cities where 1/3-1/2 of people live in multifamily apartments and condos that might have private garbage pickup.

In many of those buildings, my impression is that waste diversion practices are horrible. If your option is to throw a bag down the garbage chute on your floor, or physically transport yourself 30 floors down to the basement to separate your recyclables, it's pretty likely that the most of the recyclables are going to wind up in the landfill.
i've dropped off garbage at the garbage place in coquitlam a few times and there is a team of workers, usually special needs people, whose job is to sort out the trash, they literally open the garbage bags and sort out the recycling, they break the trash down.

Also I also when it gets too much will drive the recycling things to the municipal recycling centre, they have large bins for newspaper, paper, cardboard, plastic and metal.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post

Very few buildings in Vancouver have garbage chutes, new buildings aren't allowed to have them by code.

Toronto they're everywhere. Some try to have sorting chutes (ie press a button on your floor and the tube sends it to the right box) but ive never seen one actually functioning.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada