HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 10:57 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
I think the idea is to understand, appreciate and learn from the past. To cast it aside would do us no good moving forward.
Exactly. This is why we learn from any mistakes made in the past. Without the history of our past, there's no way how we would get a better future for a better way of life for all. Yeah, it's corny, but it's true.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 8:17 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
Owner won't demolish Village church

Updated: March 18, 2008 at 08:59 AM CDT

* Print Article
* E-mail Article

A 98-year-old former church in Osborne Village, slated for demolition by its owner, will live on.

The owner of the First Church of Christ Scientist at the corner of River Avenue and Nassau Street North has withdrawn his application to the city to demolish the building, according to an e-mail circulated on Monday by the area’s councillor.

The news is seen as a victory for preservationists of the city’s heritage architecture.

“As chair of the Historic Buildings Committee, I have officially notified the Property and Development (department) that the demolition request has been withdrawn and that the matter can be filed,” said Fort Rouge- East Fort Garry Coun. Jenny Gerbasi, in the e-mail.

Gerbasi had helped drum up public interest in a city hall committee meeting March 25 to deal with the church. Gerbasi’s committee had recommended last month that the city move to protect the building.

The First Church of Christ Scientist had been on the city’s inventory of historical buildings, awaiting evaluation as a site to be protected from demolition late last year when the property’s owner, businessman Ben Haber, applied to destroy the structure.

Haber furnished documents showing the building, used until five years ago by followers of the Church of Christ Scientist, was riddled with mold and could not be converted to apartments, as Haber had originally intended.

Gerbasi credited public opposition to the church’s owner’s plans as pivotal in saving the building.
I designed the Electrical & Mechanical for those proposed condos a few years ago.

The building is beat. No heat for many years.

I figured it would be a no-go from the start.

MM

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 2:49 AM
http://www.archiseek.com

Some 1970s aerials of Winnipeg

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 3:43 PM
Starring as himself

What might have been...courtesy of "Manitoba Historical Maps" at Flickr:

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 5:14 PM
Closed account

Quote:

Some 1970s aerials of Winnipeg

Now I remember the blown-out windows in the Woodsworth Bldg.

It's a nice view on the roof of that place.

I also have been to the top of the dome at the foot of the golden boy.

I'll try to dig out my pics from Nov 1992.

I also signed my name on the top beam of the dome.

Filmon did too........but years later.

MM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 11:33 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
What might have been...courtesy of "Manitoba Historical Maps" at Flickr:

This why is I for one am quite glad the City and Province routinely lack "vision".

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
If you haven't seen my 1928 aerial photo of the same area it might be of interest. I labelled quite a few of the buildings.
Great job andy 6 !

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 6:23 PM

Historic buildings get a bath Gentler, greener ways to scrub

Years of grime scrubbed off exterior brick, repairs made
By: Murray McNeill

Updated: September 8 at 08:52 AM CDT

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sub...-4860447c.html

A Toronto real estate investment trust is spending upwards of a million dollars to spruce up the exterior of two historic office buildings in Winnipeg's Exchange District.

"What we're trying to do is restore the facades of these two wonderful buildings," Allied Properties REIT president and CEO Michael Emory said of the work being done on the Whitla Building (sometimes referred to as the Silpit Building) at 54-70 Arthur St., and the Merchants Building at 250 McDermot Ave.

Allied Properties' Janice McKeever at the Merchants Building, 250 McDermot Ave., where the company is cleaning and repairing the exterior brickwork. (Ken Gigliotti / Winnipeg Free Press )
"We need to get decades of dirt and grime off the bricks."

The restoration work includes cleaning the exterior brick walls, repairing some of the mortar between the bricks, and repainting the window frames, according to Emory and Janice McKeever, Allied's regional manager for Manitoba.

Emory said the exterior work should be complete by the end of this month.

Next up will be refurbishing the lobby area of both buildings, McKeever said, as well as some of the other common areas. Rental units also will be upgraded as opportunities arise.

McKeever said the cost of the interior upgrades, as well as a timetable for when that work will be done, have not yet been determined.

The two Allied properties are among a number of historical downtown buildings that have been getting a facelift this summer. Others include the Union Trust Tower (sometimes referred to as the National Bank Building) on the northeast corner of Main Street and Lombard Avenue, and the S.S. Heaps Building on the southwest corner of Portage Avenue and Garry Street.

It's been nearly two years since Allied acquired the Whitla, the Merchants and five other buildings in the former Silpit Co. portfolio. Emory said the REIT specializes in buying older office buildings and upgrading them, and that's what it's starting to do with some of its Winnipeg properties.

He said the company's office building at 138 Portage Ave. E. also will be getting a similar makeover, but company officials haven't decide when that project will start.

Though it costs big bucks to clean or refurbish the exterior of historic buildings, Emory said Allied officials are confident they can eventually recoup their costs through higher rents. But it's going to take years, he said, because you can't increase rental rates quickly in a stable market like Winnipeg.

"That's why we have to be very careful about how much we spend. You couldn't spend the same on renovations to a building in Winnipeg as you would on a building in Toronto, because you can increase rents much more quickly in a city like Toronto."

The slow growth in rental rates is also why you don't see a lot of exterior restoration work being done in the Exchange District, even though there are plenty of buildings that could use it, according to a spokesman for Alpha Masonry Ltd., a local firm that is doing the restoration work on both the Union Trust Tower and the Heaps Building.

"They don't make the money to be able to really make it work," Alfred Widmer said in an interview. "There is a little bit here and a little bit there, but it's mostly government. The private stuff really doesn't happen that much."

One reason there seems to more of it going on this year, Widmer said, is because some buildings have deteriorated to the point were repairs have to be done.

Another reason, according to Wayne Johnson, a commercial agent with Royal LePage Dynamic Real Estate, is that some big investors like Allied have purchased buildings in the Exchange District in recent years. They have the resources to undertake expensive restoration projects like this, he said, unlike most of the smaller property owners in the area.

Although the Winnipeg office market has perked up in the last year or so, Johnson said there's only been a nominal increase in rental rates in most areas of the city. Gross rents are still $12 to $14 per square foot for most older office buildings in the Exchange District, he said, which makes it difficult for their owners to finance major upgrades.

A spokesman for the European owner of the Union Trust Tower said a recent inspection revealed that exterior repairs eventually would be needed, and the owner opted to do it sooner rather than later.

Jack Hurtig, director of leasing for A.S.H Management Group Inc., which manages the building, said the $500,0000 project includes repairs to some of the mortar between the bricks on one wall, repairs to the terracotta-stone facade on another, and recaulking around the windows. He said the first phase began about two weeks ago and will be complete by the about the middle of next month. The second phase will be undertaken next spring and summer.

The company that's cleaning the exterior of the two Allied buildings -- Montreal-based Canadian Masonry Corp. -- is using a power washer and a biodegradable detergent, rather than a chemical wash or a water-and-aggregate wash. Site superintendent Jack Evaniuk said soap and water are less damaging to the brick and more environmentally friendly.

murray.mcneill@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 12:36 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

A North End shrine
Ukrainian Labour Temple is a true city landmark

Tom Ford

Updated: September 10 at 10:12 AM CDT | Winnipeg Free Press Commentary

Few buildings in Canada's history have as colourful a history as the Ukrainian Labour Temple in Winnipeg's storied North End.

It's been the site of fiery political debates; orchestras with 20-odd mandolins; passionate dramas; little girls dancing with flowers in their hair and shiny, red leather boots; choirs; a centre that helped distribute two million publications a year; education programs; libraries; and police raids.

Myron Shatulsky, at Ukrainian Labour Temple, knows about the joys and tragedies of the North End. (Wayne Glowacki / Winnipeg Free Press )
The red-brick temple at Pritchard Avenue and McGregor Street is celebrating its 90th birthday. It's both a municipal and provincial heritage site.

In his book, Our History, Peter Krawchuk says the builders of Canada's first Ukrainian Labour Temple never dreamed that "20 years later the initiative would grow into the largest cultural-educational organization in the Ukrainian Canadian community, that it would have branches from the Atlantic to the Pacific, with thousands of members and scores of its own beautiful temples, with orchestras, choirs, drama and folk dance groups, and libraries in them."

My guide to the temple was Myron Shatulsky, a bright, articulate 78-year-old, who knows a lot about the joys and tragedies of the North End, one of Canada's first and largest multicultural communities.

Myron and I get along well even though we have some profound political differences. He thinks oil companies are a pox on humanity; I buy their shares. But we share a passion for history.

The motto of the North End, says Myron, is painted on the roof of an auto repair shop on the edge of the area: "People before profits."

The Ukrainian community did much of the work on the temple, says Myron. They couldn't afford an architect so they hired an engineer who worked for the city. One of his main contributions was to dissuade the builders from putting "Ukrainian Labour Temple" in large, gold letters over the front door. He convinced them to use an old standby: "Workers of the World Unite."

The Ukrainian Labour-Farmer Temple Association became involved with the temple after it was established in 1924. In an article in the Canadian Encyclopaedia, Frances Swyripa says the association's communist sympathies attracted the unemployed during the 1930s. It criticized foreign rule in western Ukraine, but "condoned the Soviet purges and artificial famine of 1932-33 that killed six million people." Many Ukrainians now accuse Stalin of genocide.

The temple's dark days came during the world wars. In the First World War, Ottawa imprisoned members of some ethnic groups, including Ukrainians, because they came from countries allied with Germany. At the beginning of the Second World War, Ottawa rounded up some left-wingers because they were thought to have a fondness for Russia, which had signed a non-aggression pact with Germany.

As a part of the roundup of left-wingers, the Ukrainian Labour-Farmer Temple Association was banned by Ottawa in 1940; its leaders jailed, including Myron's father; its books burned and its temples sold off for a pittance.

The harassment of left-wingers ceased in 1942, when the Soviets joined the Allied cause, and the ban on the ULFTA was lifted. Its eventual successor, the Association of United Ukrainian Canadians (AUUC), now operates Winnipeg's temple.

Nolan Reilly, dean of the University of Winnipeg's history department and an expert on the North End, says even though the RCMP raided the temple, the prisoners were never charged with anything. They were rounded up under the War Measures Act, draconian legislation passed in 1914. It allowed the federal cabinet to bring it into effect in secret and govern by decree when it perceived the existence of "war, invasion, or insurrection, real or apprehended."

This pernicious law was used by Pierre Trudeau during the FLQ crisis and remained in the books until a more detailed and limited law, the Emergencies Act, was passed in 1988.

Some people's views of early Ukrainian settlers are shaped by a comment by Sir Clifford Sifton, prime minister Wilfred Laurier's interior minister, that he was looking for the "stalwart peasant in a sheepskin coat." Many of those did come to Canada, and they helped bring farming to the prairies. But other Ukrainians came from urban areas and were cultured and politically sophisticated.

Shortly after it opened, says Myron, the temple was home to 13 cultural groups engaged in theatre, music and dance. It was located in an area bubbling with vitality and diversity. Within four blocks of the temple were 15 buildings filled with the activities of seven ethnic and religious organizations. Not far away, Selkirk Avenue, the area's main drag, pulsated with the sights and sounds of many cultures.

"You would be hard pressed to avoid bumping into anyone not an immigrant," says Myron.

The various groups got along well, he says, but within the groups there could be some dandy arguments.

Opposite the temple is a former Ukrainian Presbyterian church that decided its arguments should not take place in its sanctuary "under God's eye" and built a smaller hall next door.

Rev. Panteleymon Bozhyk of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic church St. Vladimir and Olga (affectionately known as Wally and Ollie) wrote that "we want to belong to the Ukrainian army, but we do not want to listen to its leader." The church split on how to treat the Pope, and the dissidents built a church directly across McGregor Street from Wally and Ollie.

"You never really knew what to expect in the North End," says Myron. "But that was its beauty... Forever changing... not always for the best, but rarely for the worst of the worst."

Tom Ford is managing editor of The Issues Network

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 2:20 AM
http://www.archiseek.com

The original design for the Bay in Winnipeg by Burke, Horwood & White.
They were hired to design four stores - Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver and Winnipeg.

London had given the instruction that the new Winnipeg store should command "world-wide attention", so Horwood proposed a 12 story building around three courtyards with a dome to rival St. Paul's in London.

Surprisingly, the Bay didn't like it as it departed from their house style too much.

Eventually after a time in 1922, the contract with the architects was cancelled. And a different architects produced the current design, which was selected and built.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 2:22 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Incredible..

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 2:23 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I was digging around the basement of the office and look what I found..

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 2:26 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

As well, the alternate design for the Royal Bank Building..

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 2:36 AM
Starring as himself

Nice find. The Royal Bank Building drawing really communicates the appeal of modernity in the early 60s. No more dingy masonry and fussy details. Just a soaring tower of glass. Interestingly the building does not feature the disastrous windswept open spaces of later towers and nicely follows the street, as the slightly different building that eventually did get built does.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 2:38 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
They were hired to design four stores - Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver and Winnipeg.

London had given the instruction that the new Winnipeg store should command "world-wide attention", so Horwood proposed a 12 story building around three courtyards with a dome to rival St. Paul's in London.

Surprisingly, the Bay didn't like it as it departed from their house style too much.

I would have thought that the somewhat excessive size of the building also played into their decision. I remember seeing that illustration years ago -- thanks for posting it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 4:16 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreattait View Post
Years of grime scrubbed off exterior brick, repairs made
By: Murray McNeill

Updated: September 8 at 08:52 AM CDT

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sub...-4860447c.html

murray.mcneill@freepress.mb.ca
I actually go by this building everyday and I seen the difference and wow! The brick is so nice.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 4:19 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:

Eventually after a time in 1922, the contract with the architects was cancelled. And a different architects produced the current design, which was selected and built.

Can only imagine how that that building would stand out if it stood today. Thats kinda cool.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 6:31 AM

yeah holy crap at the bay proposal. would it have been on the same site? cause that would have made the legislature look so pathetic in comparison.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 5:55 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

thats amazing nice find... o well we still got a land mark building that still standing!

i don't really like the version of the royal bank building i like the one we got...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 8:17 PM
GQMF

Wow, The Bay proposal is amazing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan