HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 6:05 PM
Closed account

Ladies and gentlemen...............here come your WINNIPEG JETS!!!!!!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...124498414.html

By the way things are going, it sounds pretty much official. And thank God it's Winnipeg and not Manitoba!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
My thoughts exactly. They bet the farm on this guy, trading away Carter and Richards just to sign him.

And they are stuck with Bryz, through thick and thin until he's 40. Really, there isn't a goalie not named Roloson who can compete at the level, at that age, that can even warrant that kind of cap hit.
Tim Thomas is pretty darn close. Maybe if they give him another bionic hip he'll set more NHL records.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 6:35 PM

TSN reporting Ryan Smyth to Calgary is done, just waiting for owners approval.

This was the most obvious Flames-like move in a long time.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
TSN reporting Ryan Smyth to Calgary is done, just waiting for owners approval.

This was the most obvious Flames-like move in a long time.
DAmmit! another 2nd liner who won't put up big numbers. Looks like Iggy will be shouldering the load yet again. Smyth is a great character guy, but we already have lots of Character.I wonder if this means Tanguay won't be signing with the Flames...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 6:41 PM

At least we're still as anti-youth as usual. The Flames team of overpaid old men should be renamed the Walkers.

Now all Feaster has to do is draft some low talent "Western boy" in the first round to complete the day. Maybe a goalie who'll never, ever, play.

Assuming we don't trade the pick for like... Jason Arnott or something.

The "Young Guns" era was bad, but the Old Farts phase could be even worse.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 6:50 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
DAmmit! another 2nd liner who won't put up big numbers. Looks like Iggy will be shouldering the load yet again. Smyth is a great character guy, but we already have lots of Character.I wonder if this means Tanguay won't be signing with the Flames...
I'm torn on this one. You say we have plenty of character.. maybe. What the Flames haven't had for several years now is much "heart". We just don't have guys who will give it their all, night in and night out. Smythie is that guy, in spades. He's something we need desperately (as opposed to all the barely-show-ups like Hagman, Stajan, Kotalik, Jokinen for most of his time here, Huselius, etc, etc, etc).

Not happy about the age thing but at least we're not giving much up (rumoured late round pick). The only negative here is cap space. And if this means no Tanguay - I'll be PISSED.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 6:54 PM
Closed account

Winnipeg Jets Name Returning

Winnipeg's NHL team will be called the Winnipeg Jets, CBC Sports has confirmed.

source: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...ipeg-name.html

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 6:58 PM
Closed account

Anything new on the Regehr trade?

I heard he was going to wait until later today (before draft) and then say if he is coming to Buffalo or not. Either way, he is going out of Calgary.

If Regehr does go, I heard we could be getting Sabres' 1st draft pick and Luke Adam.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 7:15 PM
Change is good

It's funny, a week ago I couldn't care about where Smytty spent the rest of his career. I did get excited about him wanting to come home though, the leadership and overall positive optics made it very appealing.

Along comes the Flames trying to throw a massive c-block on the good times. A team with jack for prospects, picks, or cap space to even sign the players they have. And they want an aged 6.5 million dollar player, hilarious.

If they want him that bad and Smyth waves his clause to go then so be it. I'd love to see him pull a Heatley on them and come to edmonton as much as anyone but honestly it's kind of a win-win for us IMHO. He comes here we get the vet we need, he goes there and he makes a division rival run by monkeys overpay, keep their cupboards dry and strangle themselves with the cap (again). Should Regher rufuse to be traded they'd really be hooped.

Good times.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 7:21 PM
Change is good

new logo to represent the flames (especially if they do trade for Smyth 35+ years old)

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 7:22 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
It's funny, a week ago I couldn't care about where Smytty spent the rest of his career. I did get excited about him wanting to come home though, the leadership and overall positive optics made it very appealing.

Along comes the Flames trying to throw a massive c-block on the good times. A team with jack for prospects, picks, or cap space to even sign the players they have. And they want an aged 6.5 million dollar player, hilarious.

If they want him that bad and Smyth waves his clause to go then so be it. I'd love to see him pull a Heatley on them and come to edmonton as much as anyone but honestly it's kind of a win-win for us IMHO. He comes here we get the vet we need, he goes there and he makes a division rival run by monkeys overpay, keep their cupboards dry and strangle themselves with the cap (again). Should Regher rufuse to be traded they'd really be hooped.

Good times.
Word is Smyth isn't lifting his NTC until the Oilers make an offer.

What the Flames are trying to do reminds me of the Oilers in the late 90'early 2000's. Way to keep that team hovering in 8/9 place.

Your first paragraph is bang on.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 7:26 PM
Community Guy

come home schmitty

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 7:40 PM

There must be a 3-way deal being cooked up here.

It makes no sense for the Flames to strangle themselves with more old guys and salary.

I also find it hard to believe that the Oilers don't have a 4th round pick to match the Flames' offer.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I'm torn on this one. You say we have plenty of character.. maybe. What the Flames haven't had for several years now is much "heart". We just don't have guys who will give it their all, night in and night out. Smythie is that guy, in spades. He's something we need desperately (as opposed to all the barely-show-ups like Hagman, Stajan, Kotalik, Jokinen for most of his time here, Huselius, etc, etc, etc).

Not happy about the age thing but at least we're not giving much up (rumoured late round pick). The only negative here is cap space. And if this means no Tanguay - I'll be PISSED.
He's definitely got heart, no question there.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 8:04 PM

Quote:

It makes no sense for the Flames to strangle themselves with more old guys and salary.

I also find it hard to believe that the Oilers don't have a 4th round pick to match the Flames' offer.
They surely *could*, but they already have their own $6 million bag of bricks in Shawn Horcoff.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 8:05 PM
Community Guy

Rumour has Schmitty waiting until the Oilers make an offer, or decision, before signing in Calgary.

COME ON EDMONTON

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 8:07 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:

Interesting idea, and yeah - no way Edmonton can't find something. He'd definitely be an asset to the Oil moreso than the Flames. Unless this is a short term thing and a lot more is in the works, he's more of a liability to us.

3-way... hmm, maybe some Oiler picks, but again - why wouldn't they just send those to LA?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 8:20 PM

The Oilers still have a 3rd rounder that they got from Calgary as part of the Staios deal. They should offer that.

But heck, even a 2nd round pick is worth never seeing a Smytty Flames jersey as far as I'm concerned.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 8:24 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
But heck, even a 2nd round pick is worth never seeing a Smytty Flames jersey as far as I'm concerned.
I'm one of the very few proud owners of a Flames Joseph jersey. I wear it pretty much just to piss off certain Oiler fans.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 8:25 PM

Dreger claims Panthers offered Oilers Booth / Weiss for 1st overall pick.

I would have probably taken it The chances of these players being as good as a Booth / Weiss maybe isn't THAT great.

Of course, if they send Hopkins back to Red Deer, they stand a good shot of drafting 1st overall next year, too lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada