HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 4:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So the Canada 150 thing here is cracking me up a little bit. Twitter had a whole debate about whether we can even celebrate the 150th birthday of something we've only been in for 60-whatever years.

And of course there's the annual conflict that July 1 is Memorial Day here, which is amped up this year as the Canada 150 celebrations are bigger than a normal Canada Day.

get url for photo

And today we kicked off the countdown to celebrate Canada 150 with the first of a series of commercials highlighting "Newfoundland's distinct culture, people, and landscape".

Video Link

The message doesn't even make sense? No aspect of us is turning 150, so the phrasing "we turn 150 first" is bizarre. It's going to be a fun month lol

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 7:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 4:40 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
So the Canada 150 thing here is cracking me up a little bit. Twitter had a whole debate about whether we can even celebrate the 150th birthday of something we've only been in for 60-whatever years.

And of course there's the annual conflict that July 1 is Memorial Day here, which is amped up this year as the Canada 150 celebrations are bigger than a normal Canada Day.

get url for photo

And today we kicked off the countdown to celebrate Canada 150 with the first of a series of commercials highlighting "Newfoundland's distinct culture, people, and landscape".

Video Link

The message doesn't even make sense? No aspect of us is turning 150, so the phrasing "we turn 150 first" is bizarre. It's going to be a fun month lol
Would you expect Vancouverites to feel similarly?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 9:52 AM
I used to be THAT guy

Did Americans living West of the Appalachians have an issue with the Bicentennial in 1976?

Last edited by Acajack; Jun 3, 2017 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 1:50 PM

Regina production company https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minds_Eye_Entertainment is releasing Wesley Snipes' new movie The Recall in Barco Escape Theatres today. Barco Escape is a new technology using multi-projection for an immersive panorama experience.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barco_Escape

http://pro.boxoffice.com/recall-star...north-america/

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 2:09 PM

The Mop & Pail gave both the movie and the screen technology a "meh" (two stars out of four).

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...ticle35179895/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 9:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 10:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The New York Times. WTF...

Has a Canadian Slur Lost Its Sting?

Quote:
Newfoundland, the last of Britain’s North American colonies to join Canada, is enjoying newfound attention thanks to the hit Broadway musical “Come From Away.” But if you see the show, don’t expect to hear talk about “Newfies,” a colloquial term for the island’s residents.

Use the word at your peril: To some Newfoundlanders it is offensive, a vestige of the derision toward locals expressed by some American G.I.s stationed there during World War II.

For decades stoic Newfoundlanders have endured national ridicule, the butt of jokes that cast residents of one of the country’s more remote corners as bumpkins and dimwits. Recently, though, a sociologist at McMaster University in Ontario has been looking into whether the term retains its sting among younger people. He found that attitudes were mixed and that time had diluted the word’s potency.

The sociologist, James Baker, 42, a proud Newfoundlander himself, grew up knowing the word as a slur. But when he talked to students at Memorial University in Newfoundland, where he earned his Ph.D., he found that the term had become “context dependent,” he said in a telephone interview, meaning that whether or not it is offensive depends on how it is used and by whom.

It can be taken as either an insult or an endearing nickname these days, he said, and young Newfoundlanders don’t need a field guide to understand which is which.

“Newfie” jokes proliferated in the years after World War II, mostly interchangeable with those about Poles or the Irish before them. One of the more benign examples: “Newfies make the best astronauts because they took up space in school.”

Newfoundlanders mostly took it in stride — with a few notable exceptions. Last year, Walmart withdrew a St. Patrick’s Day T-shirt featuring the term from its stores after public complaints by Bob Hallett, a founding member of the Newfoundland rock band Great Big Sea. There was also a minor uproar among some Newfoundlanders a few years back when a town in Nova Scotia named a gravel road Newfie Lane.

“Come From Away” recounts the story of how Newfoundlanders welcomed 7,000 airline passengers who were diverted to the small town of Gander after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The show’s name is a Newfoundland vernacular phrase for “outsiders.”

Irene Sankoff, who wrote the musical with David Hein, said Newfoundlanders in the production had made it clear that the term “Newfie” was not welcome.

“We grew up on ‘Newfie’ jokes,” Mr. Hein said. “When we wrote our show it was really to honor and say thank you, so we weren’t interested in using that word.”
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/0...m.facebook.com

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 2:00 AM
Because it's 2015.

I call you guys newfies all the time and you love it.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

This is a special year, so they should just suck it up, and relax a bit with the war weeping. Many places in Canada are not 150 years old, including BC, it doesn't matter. You would celebrate someone's birthday even though it's not your birthday, right?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 2:14 AM
Because it's 2015.

Ontario is turning 150. We have an illegal rubber duck to prove it!

For the 50th anniversary you get gold, the 60th you get diamond, 150th is illegal rubber ducks.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 2:22 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
This is a special year, so they should just suck it up, and relax a bit with the war weeping. Many places in Canada are not 150 years old, including BC, it doesn't matter. You would celebrate someone's birthday even though it's not your birthday, right?
Seems to be the consensus, yes.

It just... the inaccuracy of it bothers me. "We turn 150 this year!" - no, we don't.

It's like before the curriculum changed in schools and they would teach kids "Women in Newfoundland got the right to vote in [Insert date it happened in Ontario]". It's factually inaccurate. Ours wasn't the same, later I believe. Now, at least, they teach both.

So the 150 thing, when people act like it's something that happened here, to us, 150 years ago... just, no.

"Our country is 150 years old" is correct and should be the way it's presented. Not "Newfoundland turns 150 years old a half hour before any other part of Canada!".

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 2:51 AM

I would have to agree with the inaccuracy part, the commercials could have been better thought out to avoid this sort of criticism. However, if you're going to celebrate Canada's birthday you would have to use the 1867 date over all others which came later.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 3:15 AM
be nice to the crackheads

What an odd thing to ponder. Just go out, and get drunk. The whole day is a vehicle to BBQ and get wasted with family and friends. Why try and polarize such a simple and enjoyable act?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 3:40 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
What an odd thing to ponder. Just go out, and get drunk. The whole day is a vehicle to BBQ and get wasted with family and friends. Why try and polarize such a simple and enjoyable act?
Yeah, this. Who cares. I'm gonna eat some good food, get super drunk, and not ponder how the western world is collapsing!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Ontario is turning 150. We have an illegal rubber duck to prove it!

For the 50th anniversary you get gold, the 60th you get diamond, 150th is illegal rubber ducks.
12 STOREY illegal ducks!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I call you guys newfies all the time and you love it.
The only people who really care about the word Newfie anymore are the backwoods hicks who think it's a term of endearment. Call me a Newfie all day long, watch me literally not care. In comparison, the word "mainlander" is often used here in a negative context, but no one from Nova Scotia to British Columbia is up in arms about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
You don't need to tell me twice to get drunk and eat grilled foods.

Memorial Day celebrations are usually between 8am and 11am-12pm, and then the rest of the day is for getting drunk and dressing in red and white. It's always been this way, and it'll continue as such. The number of people who would be upset about any Canada Day celebrations on July 1st could probably be counted on one hand; it's not hard to recognize both holidays on the same day.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 8:47 PM

I referred to workers in the oil sands from Newfoundland as "Newfies" to a TA from Newfoundland and the whole class gasped, while he had no reaction.

Also love this discussion on Canada Day. I saw the commercial on TV the other day and instantly thought of what SHH would have to say

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 2:44 PM

Toronto Star reports that Toronto saw $2.01billion of film and television production in 2016, up from $1.5billion in 2015. One wonders how many thousands (tens of thousands?) of jobs this supports?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 5:03 AM

source facebook

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada