HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 5:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Perhaps slightly off topic, but here it is.

Why do I hate the Beer Store?
or, why I am just about ready to move back to the land of beer civilization (Quebec).
  1. rip-off prices
  2. stock-outs on any decent brand that happens to be on sale
  3. rip-off prices
  4. revoltingly horrible "service": what the fvck is the deal with the goddamn crappy computers and microphone ordering? 4 terminals, but NEVER more than 2 are manned at any time
  5. operating hours (rather, lack thereof)
  6. locations (rather, lack thereof)
  7. what they pass off as cold beer is generally the temperature of tepid pee
  8. the way that the Beer store pushes shitty expensive bottled Canadian horse piss like Laker (It's-a-buck-a-steer-piss!), Lakeport, Molson Canadian (this is friggin Laurentide in parts of Quebec)
  9. rip-off prices
  10. the insanely slow process of redeeming bottles/cans (this also sucked the bag in BC, then they brought in these machines...)
  11. the crappy ambiance (wow, Laker posters! Gotta get me a deck of Beer-store playing cards! Who the hell would ever buy a ball-cap with the Laker brand embossed??!!?!!?!!?)
  12. Paying...and waiting. Going over to the wrong conveyor belt. Waiting...and waiting. Your beer is getting warm. Huge stores, no staff.
  13. rip-off prices
  14. the fact that they will not give back bottle/can deposit on certain brands
  15. the general level of retardedness of the staff.
  16. The fvcking hours. yeah, let's close up at 6:00pm most nights of the week (I dunno 'bout y'alls, but I get the taste for a beer AFTER work...I don't usually leave work in the middle of the day just so that I can visit the BS during their bankers' hours.
  17. The way that vile piss-tasting beers like Laker are labelled "Premium". For the love of God.
  18. The way that they charge more money (per millilitre of beer) for shite like Blue than for decent stuff like Grolsch (if you maximize your value by purchasing those 500ml cans like I do). OK, so this is not so bad, but WHY for fvcks sake?
  19. Just try to find a location that is open after 5pm on a Sunday. Why? Did God once said: Thou shalt not imbibeth ale whence the clock passeth 5pm on my day of rest? This bugs me when you are camping...and you run out of beer (the cardinal rule of camping is never to be lacking for beer).
  20. The new stores are even shittier than the old stores. At least at some of the old stores, much was self-service. In these new formats, unless you are drinking the distilled ass-sweat that is Canadian, Laker, Lakeport, or (worst of all, BUD and/or COORS Light) you've gotta go up to the counter to order. And the fumbling clerk is like: Ahh.....lemme see....a six pack of Guinness...hmmm. Sorry, ummm, I am looking for the....hmmm. (into the Mic: JIM? Jim? How do we punch in 6 bottles of Guinnesss??). Be with you in just a sec, Sir.
  21. the stinky grizzled, slovenly guy in line before you who is stocking up for the night (a two-four of Laker, a two-four of Bud, a twelver of the Silver Bullet, and 4 bottles of Colt-45). His shitty, oil-farting '88 Ford F-250 in the parking lot. His soused dazed fatassed wife riding shotgun. His buddy in the line just behind you, even stinkier and more slovenly.
  22. did I mention the shitty prices?

Bottom line: BS=BS (Beer Store = Bullshit)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 6:14 PM

(malek)

They just had a report on the local CTV Ottawa news yesterday, some real HARD news - "why are beer prices cheaper in Quebec?" they asked. I don't know what you pay for a 2-4 of Blue or Bud in Ontario, but I'd imagine it's not this cheap - here's the local Loblaw's flyer in Aylmer for this week -

source: http://www.loblaws.ca/qcen/thisWeeksFlyer.aspx

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 7:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^that's it. I'm moving back to Quebec.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 9:57 PM

I'm confused, so you take your empties back to the beer store but what do you do with liquor and wine bottles? Take them back to LCBO?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 10:55 PM
Has been

You put them in the blue box. Put the blue box out on the curb on your designated day and the city hauls them away.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 11:32 PM
I'm just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I'm confused, so you take your empties back to the beer store but what do you do with liquor and wine bottles? Take them back to LCBO?
You can return them to the beer store but be prepared for signs of anger from the Beer Store staff just so you can get your 20 cent deposit back.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 5:20 AM
Because it's 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
But I also agree that Rim Whoreton's is every bit as shitty--and perhaps, even shittier--as McShitties. That goes too for Rim's whorrable commercials (Maple Donut crap, etc.).
Easy on the puns, man.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 7:04 AM

It's a lot better going to a grocery or convenient store in Gatineau and getting some FAIRLY priced God damned beer that's actually fucking cold. Being in the Beer Store is just as bad as Molson described. The only nearby alternative I had was the LCBO, which of course was removed from its walking distance neighbourhood mall and relocated to way the fuck in the middle of a field on the other side of high traffic Inness fucking road, only seperated by a football field of a parking lot.

Atrocious.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle33 View Post
You put them in the blue box. Put the blue box out on the curb on your designated day and the city hauls them away.
You can bring them back to the LCBO now for a refund.. this is just recently. They had a big radio advertising blitz about it a while ago.

re: Beer store - they all smell like a bar bathroom at closing time. I don't know why it smells up front so bad.. the back I can understand (clumsy delivery people, busted cases, etc.) but why does it have to stink up front so much? Maybe it's the spillage on the conveyor belt that never gets cleaned. Or maybe they have 'stale beer scent' piped into the vents to please the hardcore customers.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 1:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Easy on the puns, man.
Wholly shit Vid, talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

I don't think so. The Legion of Tim Horton's drive thru's (a more apt descriptor would be wait-and-idle-thru's) are raping the environnment and the local air quality. With their bad-as-possible commercials, Tim Horton's blatently appropriates Canadiana, turning it into (at best) a joke or (at worst) something that generates unpatriotic feelings in the viewer. Kinda like Bell with the stupid Beavers, and Canuckian-Tire and their camping commercials. Tim's "coffee" has been severely degraded over the past decade...tasting rather like a bowl of distilled, unflushed brown toilet water. Rolling up the RIM to lose just gets my fingers covered with said toilet water.

Besides, it is my rant. So if I want to call it Rim Whoreton's, I will.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 2:51 PM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
You can bring them back to the LCBO now for a refund.. this is just recently. They had a big radio advertising blitz about it a while ago.
Ahh, really. It's been a while since I've resided in Upper Canada.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 3:09 PM

Ahhh Tim Hortons commercials, does anyone remember the classic they ran a couple of years ago,the one with those spoiled punk kids studying abroad who have cans of Tim horton's coffee shipped to them (probaly to mask the smell of the cocaine hidden in the cans)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 8:54 PM
Because it's 2015.

Haha, those were dumb but a couple of the guys were kinda cute. That's why I remember them.

@Molson: At least I don't abuse puns. Your post was wandering into Rosie O'Donnell territory for a moment there..

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 1:45 PM

Getting back to bad commercials how about those really annoying Rodgers ads, you know the ones where that ugly stupid looking dude can't complete a call without getting cut off (notice how he always has an unkempt look.... unshaven ,uncombed hair, bad fitting clothes.) in other words your a real loser if you don't use Rodgers. Getting off topic, am I the only person totally fed up of listening to loud jackasses yakking on their cell phones on city busses? these clowns seem to think that that everyone on the bus is interested in listening to their stupid mind numbingly dull conversation

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 1:48 PM
EVDS MPlan Student

Some people think they have to yell if they're talking on a cell phone. I have to remind my dad every time he does, though he hasn't had a cell phone in 8 years, so it's not like he's on one every day.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 4:03 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
Getting back to bad commercials how about those really annoying Rodgers ads, you know the ones where that ugly stupid looking dude can't complete a call without getting cut off (notice how he always has an unkempt look.... unshaven ,uncombed hair, bad fitting clothes.) in other words your a real loser if you don't use Rodgers. Getting off topic, am I the only person totally fed up of listening to loud jackasses yakking on their cell phones on city busses? these clowns seem to think that that everyone on the bus is interested in listening to their stupid mind numbingly dull conversation
I've never understood why a conversation on a cell phone is more annoying to most people than a conversation face-to-face. Some restaurants ban cellphones from their dining rooms but nobody "bans" loud drunken conversations, which to me are completely equal in terms of being annoying.

I have zero problem with people talking on cell phones. It's talking like any other form of conversation and it's none of my business.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 4:04 PM
Because it's 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
I was on the bus a while ago, September I think, there were about 40 to 50 people on it. (Which is a lot for Thunder Bay but happens when its raining because people don't like walking or biking then.) Anyway, a cell phones goes off with the ring tone of ACDCs 'Thunderstruck'. A fat guy near the rear door answers it, and at the top of his lungs yells out "SEXY BEAST!!!". Everyone laughed at him, and when the call was over he looked embarrassed.

Two minutes later, it happened again.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 8:59 PM
Look at me!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 4:06 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

@Molson: At least I don't abuse puns. Your post was wandering into Rosie O'Donnell territory for a moment there..
I rilly don't give two shits. Since when did you become a mod? what is with all the hectoring?

Last edited by MolsonExport; Jul 13, 2008 at 4:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 9:14 AM

vid is a comedic genius, you see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada