HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I don't think they'd paint a copper one.

And I haven't seen any green paint that really looks like weathered copper except at the most casual of glances (I even saw an egregiously bad imitation of copper-green paint a couple weeks ago in Bronzeville).

There may be other reasons to get metal cornices. My building has a zinc one, for example. It looks nice, and I'm pretty sure it could last 100 years, with only occasional, minimal repairs. Fiberglass might make it 30 or 40, but after that how does it fare?
Your cornice if most likely not made of zinc, but tin plated wrought iron.
Contrary to its common usage, the term wrought iron is does not mean any bent piece of metal. It is a specific material, different from steel and one of the oldest forms of ferrous metals. The manufacturing process creates a fibrous structure of very pure iron with slag mixed in. It was naturally resistant to corrosion. The tin plating added to this corrosion resistance and meant that it could be soldered together with out the use of corrosive fluxes.

It was the perfect material for exterior sheet metal work.
Unfortunately, the last plant producing wrought iron in the country shut down in the 1960's and they probably hadn't tinplated any since the 40's.

Of the modern options, galvanized required corrosive fluxes and, aluminum and galvanalume can't be soldered at all.
Copper is slow to corrode, easy to form, easy to solder, does not need corrosive fluxes and is readily available.
It is probably the best alternative. On the down side, it takes paint poorly and constantly drools vertigris down the front of the building.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:46 PM
you know where I'll be

U of C Lab School Expansion

Curbed Chicago reported yesterday that VDT's awesome expansion of the Lab School breaks ground this weekend

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 4:27 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Your cornice if most likely not made of zinc, but tin plated wrought iron.
It's a replacement cornice, it replaced the original about 10 years ago. I'm not the one who installed it, so I can't say with 100% certainty that it is zinc, but that is what the board president from that timeframe told me.

The cornice in question:

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 5:52 PM
BANNED

How come I haven't heard anything about this VDT Lab School expansion? It's sweet:

Both images shamelessly lifted from Curbed here:

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...p#lab-school-2

More pictures in the link.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 6:10 PM

As nice as it is, I probably would have preferred the ~12 story hotel that would have been built before the precinct was voted dry. But unique and attractive design is decent consolation.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 6:44 PM

Quote:
It's a replacement cornice, it replaced the original about 10 years ago. I'm not the one who installed it, so I can't say with 100% certainty that it is zinc, but that is what the board president from that timeframe told me.

[/IMG]
Then it is probably galvanized (zinc plated) steel.
I doubt if it will last 100 years, but keep it painted and it'll do 50 just fine.

Eventually residue from the acid flux will eat through the protective zinc and it'll start to rust out in the nooks and crannies.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 7:54 PM

Is Terne-Coated Stainless often used in cornices? This would seem to be a better option.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
Is Terne-Coated Stainless often used in cornices? This would seem to be a better option.
I can't say for sure, the metalwork I do is closer to the ground
Terne (fancy name for tin) plated steel would be a good option because of the ability to use of noncorrosive flux, but it is so costly compared to galvanized and really only marginally better. Even if it extended the life from 50 to 100 years, everyone involved in the project would be dead before it became an issue.

Stainless steel in general is tougher to cut, bend and shape. I doubt anyone would want to make anything but the simplest cornice possible out of it.

I am not sure why anyone wanted to terne plate stainless in the first place. It will not make it last any longer. It can only be for someone who wants stainless to look like tin. That's kind of like making a sows ear out of a silk purse

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
How come I haven't heard anything about this VDT Lab School expansion? It's sweet:

Both images shamelessly lifted from Curbed here:

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...p#lab-school-2

More pictures in the link.
I think overall this building looks great. I also like that they extended that wall up another floor to surround to what appears to be an occupiable rooftop courtyard. Nice dramatic entryway, and those fins along the front facade creates some nice divisions and add depth. Sucks that there's a long wall by the sidewalks but it looks like they softened it up a bit with some landscaping.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 4:36 AM

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...igley-building

Groupon duo and partners reach deal for Wrigley Building

By: Alby Gallun and Thomas A. Corfman
September 16, 2011

(Crain's) — The founders of Groupon Inc. have teamed up with Zeller Realty Group to buy the Wrigley Building on Michigan Avenue, a transaction that is expected to close next week, say people familiar with the transaction.

The group is buying the ornate two-tower complex at 400-410 N. Michigan Ave., along with a property immediately northwest of the building, now the site of a surface parking lot and shuttered health club. Covering a full block, it's one of the biggest undeveloped parcels in River North.

---------------------------

I've always thought this dead block is a dark horse with so much potential -- it's already linked (sort of) to Upper Michigan and could be surrounded by plaza connecting it to the Trump riverwalk, and on its N / NW border by direct connections into Nordstrom and North Bridge. You'd deck over both Hubbard and Rush, and it could open up the stepchild west sides of the adjacent North Michigan office buildings to retail too. It would be synergistic with retail in the renovated Wrigley arcade (and Trump, though that's much more high-end). If chains like Best Buy want a presence on Boul Mich, I'd rather see them on this empty block next to Nordstrom, tucked away 1 block off-Michigan, than kicking Paul Stuart out of the Hancock.

Anyhow that's all in the long term. And the more relevant issue is that, since Groupon aren't property developers, I hope they don't try to do something themselves and end up just plopping a parking garage there. I'm not familiar with Zeller, but I hope they all just flip the block to John Buck or someone with complex development experience down the road.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:31 PM

Burberry 9/19/2011

Demolition of the old store begins. Anyone know the construction timeline for the new store?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 8:22 PM
The City

^ It's great to see this.

The Mag Mile continues to grow and evolve.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 8:45 PM
BANNED

In other news, the new UNO school in Gage Park is, as Blago might say, fucking golden:

All pictures shamemlessly ripped from these two execellent WBEZ pages:

http://www.wbez.org/story/shiny-char...est-side-92058

http://www.wbez.org/blog/lee-bey/201...t-design-92138

Interior pics, interviews, and Lee Bey's review inside^^^

Interesting note from the article is that this school cost several million less than recently constructed CPS schools have cost. Who says you can't have a budget and epic architecture at the same time? Can you imagine how CPS students might dream if they were all educated in such citadel's of education? A place the more resembles a temple than a prison (like many CPS schools seem to ape and the function they all too often serve)?

Also, check out the UNO master plan which includes a high school, pool, and soccer stadium: http://www.stlchicago.com/projects/uno-master-plan

If you look it appears the high school will involve a massive cantalevered, cross braced, second story much like the old CME building on the river next to Union Station.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 9:05 PM
TL;DR

You're getting a little philosophical, but yes, it's definitely a huge breath of fresh air for the Southwest Side.

As Bey mentioned, it strikes me that the new Powell Elementary cost only $2 million more, but has nearly twice the capacity.

Powell is no slouch in the design department either:

PBC

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 9:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
You're getting a little philosophical, but yes, it's definitely a huge breath of fresh air for the Southwest Side.

As Bey mentioned, it strikes me that the new Powell Elementary cost only $2 million more, but has nearly twice the capacity.

Powell is no slouch in the design department either:

PBC
Twice the capacity, but approximately the same floor area. As we all know the classroom size in a CPS school is just a wee bit higher than a charter school. In other words they pack em in at CPS (like a prison) and UNO spreads em out more.

Eh, I like those schools CPS is building alright, but they just don't do it for me with the boring brick, but it's certainly better than a "ye olde schoolhouse" approach I suppose.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 6:01 AM

So... Jeanne Gang was named a MacArthur Fellow.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Burberry 9/19/2011

Demolition of the old store begins. Anyone know the construction timeline for the new store?
I think the construction barricade announces a grand (re-)opening in "fall/winter" 2012. That's quite a long time for a tiny building but like with hotels, a huge part of the schedule is presumably devoted to interior fit-out.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 10:02 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I've always thought this dead block is a dark horse with so much potential -- it's already linked (sort of) to Upper Michigan and could be surrounded by plaza connecting it to the Trump riverwalk, and on its N / NW border by direct connections into Nordstrom and North Bridge. You'd deck over both Hubbard and Rush, and it could open up the stepchild west sides of the adjacent North Michigan office buildings to retail too. It would be synergistic with retail in the renovated Wrigley arcade (and Trump, though that's much more high-end). If chains like Best Buy want a presence on Boul Mich, I'd rather see them on this empty block next to Nordstrom, tucked away 1 block off-Michigan, than kicking Paul Stuart out of the Hancock.
Agreed. It has the potential to be one of the best pedestrian spots downtown connecting Trump, Wrigley, and Michigan and Wabash potentially with a BRT stop at Trump.

It could be one of the few true plazas downtown that is hemmed in by great buildings instead of roads and provide some niche retail and with perfect alfresco dining in the walkways and plaza.

It could be great even if it just decked over as you outlined but to maximize the potential eventually the base of the River Plaza Building would need its brick base wrapped with some low rise buildings. Also the Nordstoms would have to be torn down and replaced or at the very least the south wall covered up with schlock or some art. I have often thought that it could be great to replace it with two buildings where Nordstoms is with some Spanish steps bisecting the two new buildings from the plaza down to Illinois St.

If another high rise should go up where the defunct Lakeshore Athletic Club is or if would be best as a wide opening to the rest of the plaza is another consideration.
Quote:
I'm not familiar with Zeller, but I hope they all just flip the block to John Buck or someone with complex development experience down the road
I sure as heck hope not. Buck is the one responsible for making a mediocrity and a serious challenge to the space that is there now given that it was Buck that showed serious lack of vision with the development of the Nordstrom building. It can be turned into a great space even with that ugly blank ediface but it will never reach ultimate full potential until its ripped down and replaced by a facade pedestrians in any future plaza would want to look at. I remember reading Blair Kamin quoting Buck saying the intent was to turn the new Northbridge/Nordstroms into Chicago's Rockefeller Center. Monumental failed opportunity.

I don't think its beyond cost or comprehension to think the space still have serious potential to be redeemed and put in that company or Paternoster Square.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Sep 20, 2011 at 10:23 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 3:47 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Architects Gang and Lee to design city boathouses with IIT students
BY BLAIR KAMIN
September 19, 2011

By Michael Hawthorne

Mayor Rahm Emanuel today announced a plan to improve access to the Chicago River by building four boathouses on stretches of the waterway that already draw scores of kayakers and other paddlers.

The city will spend equal shares of public funds and private donations to build the structures, estimated to cost $4 million each. The boathouses will be located in River Park and Clark Park on the North Side, and in Ping Tom Park and near the 2800 block of South Eleanor Street on the South Side.

Architects Jeanne Gang and Chris Lee will design the boathouses with students from the Illinois Institute of Technology. The facilities will include boat landings and rental concessions, providing more formal access now offered by a handful of private operators.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....students-.html
I saw a story on this last night, but no mention of Gang's involvement was made. Now, I'm even more intrigued.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 6:48 PM
Urbane observer

. . . moved from Chicago Highrises thread
Quote:
I don't know how much time you spend in that area, but the pedestrian and bike traffic I see on Kinzie is pretty heavy compared to the other east-west streets in River North because of the Kinzie bridge. Furthermore, if the parking lot across from that slice were developed so that it had things facing the plaza, it would add more than enough action to liven it up. And the space that Rumba currently occupies could pretty easily be configured to take advantage of an adjacent plaza.

Finally, as for sun, it should get plenty of sun during the summer and Daley Plaza is shaded pretty much year-round, and especially dark during the winter. Since that's such a big disadvantage perhaps you should go notifiy the City that Christkindlmarket will be a total disaster to have there, and that Mariano Park is total crap, too, because nobody would ever use a park in Chicago with a highrise directly south of it. /sarcasm

In other words, I think you're completely off-base. That site would get far more traffic than most neighborhood plazas, far more sun than other existing plazas, year-round, and I don't see what your problem is with it. The idea that every new plaza should have to be a destination plaza or have the foot traffic levels of North Michigan Avenue is patently absurd. I live a 10 minute walk from there, and I'm not the only person who sometimes walks to that vicinity just to look at the view from the bridge - there are always people there on the bridge looking at the view. If there were a plaza in that space, people could see the view and then hang out in the plaza for a while. If the massive parking lot across the street were developed, people from there would use it. People scurry to and from the EBC mainly exactly because there is nothing else to do in the area - so what's wrong with giving them something to do?
Surely you're familiar with William Whyte's studies about why some plazas are successful, well-loved urban amenities while others are abandoned to the skateboarders and homeless.

Besides things under the control of the designer—seating, relationship to street, water features—he notes that the most successful plazas are those where there's a mix of sun and shade, a steady stream of pedestrians past or through the space, and where someone oversees the space, so those with antisocial intentions don't feel completely anonymous and unseen.

In other words, it takes more than wishful thinking for a plaza to succeed. If people want to watch the boats on the river, a space 400 feet away is not very helpful to them. If they want to look at the skyline, the north wall of the Apparel Mart is a poor substitute. The kinds of folks who arrive in their BMWs at the East Bank Club at 6 am are probably not going to hang out afterwards with the bike messengers in an unprogrammed plaza.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development