HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:56 PM
homebody homebody is offline
Out in the burbs
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Quispamsis
Posts: 79
[Saint John] Moosehead Micro Brewery | ?m | TBD Floors | Proposed

This an article about a small micro brewery that Moosehead is looking to set up.


https://sjcommercialre.com/2016/06/0...street-91king/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 12:53 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
Haru Urara
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 4,975
So...where is there 10,000 sq. feet available in the Uptown for Moosehead's tiny brewery? 222 Water Street is 32,900 total over seven floors whilst 91 King is 44,050 sqft, as two examples.

Turner's (admittedly) horrendous MS Paint render is ambitious, but I think the space is a tad bit large for what Moosehead is aiming to do. When I first heard of these plans I imagined a brick building off of Germain or Prince William Streets as a potential landing spot, and I imagine Moosehead would want to tap into the evergrowing and changing restaurant and shop scene along those streets.. It would be awesome to get 91 King filled but i'm unsure what the likelihood would be.

Exciting news regardless.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 1:41 PM
UptownJeff UptownJeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
So...where is there 10,000 sq. feet available in the Uptown for Moosehead's tiny brewery? 222 Water Street is 32,900 total over seven floors whilst 91 King is 44,050 sqft, as two examples.

Turner's (admittedly) horrendous MS Paint render is ambitious, but I think the space is a tad bit large for what Moosehead is aiming to do. When I first heard of these plans I imagined a brick building off of Germain or Prince William Streets as a potential landing spot, and I imagine Moosehead would want to tap into the evergrowing and changing restaurant and shop scene along those streets.. It would be awesome to get 91 King filled but i'm unsure what the likelihood would be.

Exciting news regardless.
According to the commercial properties website 91 King has a footprint of 10,000 sq feet. https://sjcommercialre.com/2016/06/0...street-91king/

I'm torn on this issue -I would love to see it on the square but agree Germaine or Cantebury would be fantastic locations as well if a suitable building is found. I still think that the Old Courthouse, The Bank of NB, or how about the empty law office at the corner of King and Germaine? I have no idea if they are the right size but wherever this goes it is great news for both Saint John and Uptown!

I still think that 91 King will be developed in any event once the IO HQ goes up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 1:49 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
Haru Urara
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
According to the commercial properties website 91 King has a footprint of 10,000 sq feet. https://sjcommercialre.com/2016/06/0...street-91king/
This listing has 91 King at a total 44,050sqft.

It seems evident that they really, really, really, really want to get 91 King sold. It's been a while.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 1:58 PM
UptownJeff UptownJeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
This listing has 91 King at a total 44,050sqft.

It seems evident that they really, really, really, really want to get 91 King sold. It's been a while.
Lol - it says 44 over 3 floors and the link I had said footprint of 10....not sure how that math works - maybe a basement?? I have a feeling it may be a tear down in any event....she is very creative in her marketing of the building though!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 5:30 AM
CdnEh CdnEh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 426
Stephanie Turner seems really desperate.

I have a feeling her business isn't exactly booming - her name is all over these derelict buildings with over the top pie-in-the-sky plans that never seem to sell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 9:02 PM
UptownJeff UptownJeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 366
[Saint John] Moosehead Micro Brewery | ?m | TBD Floors | Proposed

I thought this proposed new development deserved its own thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 9:32 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 15,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
I thought this proposed new development deserved its own thread.
Perhaps, but it requires a standard naming convention such as [Saint John] Moosehead Microbrewery (Proposed). In a forum with projects from multiple cities, you really need to preface the project name with it's actual location. Look at the format that michael d_40 used for the SJ IOL HQ thread. That's perfect.

As the thread creator, you may be able to make the change yourself; otherwise a mod will have to make the change for you.

I think the main considerations as to whether a particular project deserves it's own thread are:
- the size and cost of the project
- how controversial it is (will it generate chatter)
- architectural/cultural significance

The Moncton Events Centre, the IOL headquarters building and possibly the MH35 proposal all probably deserve their own threads (the latter project mostly because of the potential controversy). This Moosehead microbrewery project in downtown SJ may be worthwhile, but in the absence of an actual Saint John subforum, might end up dropping off the bottom of the page from inactivity. Time will tell........
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 9:41 PM
thefishingnut thefishingnut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 220
It's a cool proposal, but I haven't seen any indication that its to be a new build, rather that they're looking to renovate existing space. Not sure it's any more threadworthy than redevelopment of the Target space, or the reversing falls restaurant to be honest.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 10:44 PM
UptownJeff UptownJeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
It's a cool proposal, but I haven't seen any indication that its to be a new build, rather that they're looking to renovate existing space. Not sure it's any more threadworthy than redevelopment of the Target space, or the reversing falls restaurant to be honest.
Personally I think it's much more significant than the old target location as it has the potential to be a game changer depending on where it's located. I would like to see it located on the old coast guard site and if it is; then we'll likely see a dramatic snowball effect. Time will tell if it deserves its own thread but in the mean time, I'd like to leave it and see where it goes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 10:54 PM
Whaler's Avatar
Whaler Whaler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 219
Moosehead has little choice but to do this. The craft beer industry is hurting them and they have limited success with their craft style offerings. At one point in this province Moosehead had 70% of the beer market. Now it is less than 20%.
It appears as though the Olands have put off selling for a few years....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 11:33 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
Haru Urara
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
It's a cool proposal, but I haven't seen any indication that its to be a new build, rather that they're looking to renovate existing space. Not sure it's any more threadworthy than redevelopment of the Target space, or the reversing falls restaurant to be honest.
Renovations themselves can be thread-worthy on this forum and given that Moosehead is seeking to do so in an urban area lends context to the urban development standards of this site. As such, this thread is deemed acceptable.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 1:05 PM
michael_d40 michael_d40 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 782
I know many of you (including me) would like to see this end up at 91 King. I think it could make a great anchor to a new development there. However, another option that would be nice would even be the former Paramount Theatre location. Would be nice to see another hole/parking lot filled right on Kings Square.
__________________
:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 6:23 PM
nwalbert nwalbert is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
I know many of you (including me) would like to see this end up at 91 King. I think it could make a great anchor to a new development there. However, another option that would be nice would even be the former Paramount Theatre location. Would be nice to see another hole/parking lot filled right on Kings Square.
I had not thought about the old Paramount site... Combined with the OIL headquarters it would completely overhaul the King Square area.

It is amazing seeing this uptown revival happening right in front of our eyes. I feel as though Water up to Germain, and King over to Duke is an amazing set of blocks. Now, we are stretching those borders out further.

Very Exciting to see our uptown building so much momentum!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 7:08 PM
WharfRat WharfRat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 117
Yes, either location would be great! I am looking forward to a new version of the "Country Store" opening up. My cupboard has a few different Moosehead/Apline beer mugs, the closet has a tee shirt or two, mostly painting attire now, a sweatshirt that is my campfire classic and I know there are a couple old decks of cards in the trailer…..definitely time for some new Moosehead stuff.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 9:42 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
Haru Urara
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 4,975
I was under the impression Moosehead were looking to renovate an existing space rather than building an entirely new structure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 1:32 PM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,653
Talking to people at a few things recently, there are those working to try and convince Moosehead to be a part of the recently announced Murphy's restaurant development on Water St. next to the Coast Guard slipp. Not sure how likely that is, but I do really like the idea of a harbourside location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 8:49 PM
michael_d40 michael_d40 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Talking to people at a few things recently, there are those working to try and convince Moosehead to be a part of the recently announced Murphy's restaurant development on Water St. next to the Coast Guard slipp. Not sure how likely that is, but I do really like the idea of a harbourside location.
I was recently reading something about how they wanted to be as close to the Cruise Ship terminals as possible. So what you said definitely does has merit.
__________________
:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 11:35 AM
Helladog's Avatar
Helladog Helladog is offline
Loser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NB
Posts: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
I was recently reading something about how they wanted to be as close to the Cruise Ship terminals as possible. So what you said definitely does has merit.
Maybe a part of Fundy Quay if that finally gets going soon. Would be a new build tho.
__________________
helladog.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 8:41 PM
WharfRat WharfRat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Talking to people at a few things recently, there are those working to try and convince Moosehead to be a part of the recently announced Murphy's restaurant development on Water St. next to the Coast Guard slipp. Not sure how likely that is, but I do really like the idea of a harbourside location.
MP wayne Long just announced via FB that the Micro Brewery will be built on the waterfront with a picture of that spot, no confirmation from Moosehead yet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.