HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Here's original proposed design for the plaza.

http://www.mkbdesign.net/commercial/wrigley-building/

It also includes the plaza out front, which we have yet to determine from the set of new images.
Agreed - that looks much nicer and more likely to attract retail tenants.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 8:32 PM

^^^ Is the plaza open on one end and closed on the other. If so, I would say that they should close both ends and make it a winter garden. The shops would be visible from the street, but the plaza would also be useable in the winter.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 12:05 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:

It also includes the plaza out front, which we have yet to determine from the set of new images.
Oh that is nice! I want that design.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 12:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Agreed - that looks much nicer and more likely to attract retail tenants.
Ditto

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 5:14 AM

Quote:

O yea, that's not bad too. Did they not want to pay the extra money for that or what?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 5:46 AM
tilted & shifted

I read that the Lakeview NIMBY group is trying to downsize the proposal for the old Dominick's site on Broadway. You've got to be kidding me. The site has been vacant for ages. And, finally, a solid plan comes through, and they want to play games because they think it's too dense. Give me a break.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 6:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
I read that the Lakeview NIMBY group is trying to downsize the proposal for the old Dominick's site on Broadway. You've got to be kidding me. The site has been vacant for ages. And, finally, a solid plan comes through, and they want to play games because they think it's too dense. Give me a break.
I don't recall the exact proposal but I thought that it was b3-5 as of right. Was a variance granted or a PD ?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 11:23 PM
TL;DR

More on the boathouses. No renderings yet. Apparently Jeanne Gang is only doing two of them - the River Park boathouse is done by Johnson & Lee. No word on the Ping Tom boathouse.

Quote:
River Park Boathouse to Have Rooftop Deck, Coming in 2013
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
By Patty Wetli

The two-story boathouse, one of four announced in 2011 by Mayor Emanuel, will be located on the west bank of the river, near Argyle Street, adjacent to an existing soccer field and playground. While the city is just beginning the bidding process, the expectation is that a canoe/kayak rental vendor will occupy the boathouse, though the boat launch will be open for use to all members of the public. (A larger boathouse planned for Clark Park, 3400 N. Rockwell Ave., just a few miles downstream, will accommodate the longer boats used by rowing clubs.) Bicycle and fishing equipment rentals may be provided in the future but “right now, the priority is to get people to use the river,” Foster said.

Perhaps the most intriguing feature revealed by Foster is a rooftop deck, roomy enough to accommodate roughly 60 people, that will be open to all residents, whether renting a boat or not.

With all of the hype surrounding the announcement of star architect Jeanne Gang’s role in the design of the boathouses, it was a bit of a letdown to learn that her involvement is confined to the structures at Clark Park and Bubbly Creek–nothing against Johnson & Lee, whose plans for River Park appear perfectly serviceable. Clark Park will also have a nifty rowing flume for practice during the winter, so good for them.

Even with a number of elements still in flux, including the length of the boathouse dock, Foster expects the Park District will break ground at the site this summer. “The existing conditions are pretty bad there,” he said, so much of the initial effort, coordinated with the Army Corps of Engineers and the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District, will be aimed at upgrading the shoreline.

When completed in spring/summer of 2013, the boathouse will boast Silver LEED certification and will be ADA accessible. Though dependent on the eventual chosen vendor, the Park District hopes to have the boathouse open seven days a week.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 4:12 AM

Niketown interior renovations begin:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
More on the boathouses. No renderings yet. Apparently Jeanne Gang is only doing two of them - the River Park boathouse is done by Johnson & Lee. No word on the Ping Tom boathouse.
PBC just issued an RFQ for design-build of the Ping Tom fieldhouse on Friday. Phase I qualification packages are due in on 04-13. They'll shortlist by 04-30 and then accept design-build bids on 05-30. They are targeting 07-16 for an award date.

First time I've seen PBC do this. I like it. This approach works very well for the Navy.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Last edited by aic4ever; Mar 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 2:22 PM

3030 Broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
‎3030 N. Broadway Planned Development on Hold

The Alderman’s office has been told by the city law department that the proposed development at 3030 N. Broadway is on hold until the city’s differences with the Davis group have been resolved. Consequently there will NOT be any advisory vote on this project by SELVN until the hold is removed. A representative from the Alderman’s office will be at the March 12 SELVN meeting and if there is additional information available he will provide an update.

This is from SELVH Facebook page...doesn't look good all around...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 5:08 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
PBC just issued an RFQ for design-build of the Ping Tom fieldhouse on Friday. Phase I qualification packages are due in on 04-13. They'll shortlist by 04-30 and then accept design-build bids on 05-30. They are targeting 07-16 for an award date.

First time I've seen PBC do this. I like it. This approach works very well for the Navy.
Interesting. The fieldhouse RFP does not include the boathouse, though. I was hoping that, by being in the Central Area, Ping Tom would not get the same awful prototype fieldhouse that's been used on the South Side. Those precast panels are not a dignified material for public architecture.

That's not to knock all prototypes - John Ronan's high school design for CPS is awesome, as is the Park District's other fieldhouse prototype.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Interesting. The fieldhouse RFP does not include the boathouse, though. I was hoping that, by being in the Central Area, Ping Tom would not get the same awful prototype fieldhouse that's been used on the South Side. Those precast panels are not a dignified material for public architecture.

That's not to knock all prototypes - John Ronan's high school design for CPS is awesome, as is the Park District's other fieldhouse prototype.
Ronan's designs are awesome, and he's a very cool guy, besides.

The RFP calls for CPD Prototype Fieldhouse I. So while the method of delivery is design-build, it needs to match that prototype. I am not sure which prototype is which.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 8:00 PM
THAT Guy

Maybe some good news about the Roosevelt Collection

Ulta (the cosmetics shop) showed up in BidClerk a few days ago, so I assume an announcement is forthcoming. I might be reading too much into this, but Roosevelt Collection's FB page includes a number of "Likes" for specific stores, including the aforementioned Ulta, H&M, Apple, Homegoods, Aveda, Jos. A Bank, Anthropologie, Z Gallerie, Ann Taylor, Bath & Body Works, LEYE restaurants, FFC gym. Not saying that these will end up opening on Roosevelt but I do remember hearing rumors about a few of them in the past.

In any case, here's a webcam showing the work being done on the plaza.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Ulta (the cosmetics shop) showed up in BidClerk a few days ago, so I assume an announcement is forthcoming. I might be reading too much into this, but Roosevelt Collection's FB page includes a number of "Likes" for specific stores, including the aforementioned Ulta, H&M, Apple, Homegoods, Aveda, Jos. A Bank, Anthropologie, Z Gallerie, Ann Taylor, Bath & Body Works, LEYE restaurants, FFC gym. Not saying that these will end up opening on Roosevelt but I do remember hearing rumors about a few of them in the past.

That's one creepy camera.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 10:45 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
Ronan's designs are awesome, and he's a very cool guy, besides.

The RFP calls for CPD Prototype Fieldhouse I. So while the method of delivery is design-build, it needs to match that prototype. I am not sure which prototype is which.
Prototype I is the precast concrete one, possibly tilt-up (not sure). It has rounded roofs. Prototype II has masonry walls and flat roofs. Both were designed by Booth Hansen and can be found on their website.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Prototype I is the precast concrete one, possibly tilt-up (not sure). It has rounded roofs. Prototype II has masonry walls and flat roofs. Both were designed by Booth Hansen and can be found on their website.
Gotcha. Well it looks like it will be a variation on the precast then. The RFP calls for a natatorium as well, which the current prototype, at least on BH's website, doesn't have. I should think the precast could be livened up with some color changes besides. Perhaps that charcoal color from the precast on the Roosevelt building, and going with a glass that has some more green to it would look interesting. It would certainly have more pop on the whole than that one did, as a big, gray mass.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:44 PM
TL;DR

Yeah, that would be a big improvement.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 7:50 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Quote:
That's one creepy camera.
nice view but, yeah, kinda looks like a set for The Walking Dead - all it needs are some zombie extras.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Belmont and Western is two six flats going up I think in this lot, either that or they tore down one of the industrial building in this picture, I just saw it while driving a friend home and was in the process of merging lanes and didn't want to die so I didn't get a good look, but they were already 1 floor high and I was shocked to see them because there weren't there two weeks before:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chicag...,188.38,,0,3.6
Drove by last night on the way to dinner and it looks like there are three six flats going up in that location, all being marketed by Sergio Banks.

*** just google'd Sergio Banks and on their front page they have a blurb about this row of development. Three six flats, with 3/4 bed - 2 bath units, starting just a touch under $260K. http://www.sergioandbanks.com/video-...-killer-price/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development