HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 1:51 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
It could be Nexis, if you want it to be. My feeling is that a general development thread for Camden is overdue, but I realize you didn't initially intend it to be.

Just a thought. Either way, the pics you posted are really great.

I guess it's really your call, if you are up for modifying the start of the beginning for the thread, then that would be cool. If not, thanks a bunch for the very-well-thought-out pics.

Oh ic , I don't have a Run down map... I do have this video of the various projects underway..

Video Link

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
A GD thread for Pennsy's smaller cities (Lancaster, Bethlehem, Scranton, Harrisburg, Erie, State College, etc.) is also way overdue.
Go for it, but the question was whether it should be "stickied" to the PHILLY thread.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koernerstr32 View Post
Go for it, but the question was whether it should be "stickied" to the PHILLY thread.
It is a Major City in the Philly Metro so it should be stickied...

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
A GD thread for Pennsy's smaller cities (Lancaster, Bethlehem, Scranton, Harrisburg, Erie, State College, etc.) is also way overdue.
I may start a "Lehigh Valley GDs" thread next week after I'm through with finals. I was in Center City Allentown yesterday for lunch at Chickie and Pete's. I was amazed at how new and nice the area around the PP&L Center is! Bethlehem is experiencing some new construction around Lehigh University. I will also check out Easton and Phillipsburg, NJ, since I will be in the Valley until May 26th. I just hope that a poster will continue to post updates as I'm permanently moving back to the Philly area to start fall courses at Temple's Fox School of Business.

I also may take the initiative to create the "Philly 'Burbs GDs" thread. I live in Delaware County, but travel around the area often. Plus, when I do attend Temple this fall, I plan to take advantage of the fact that SEPTA's monthly Transpass turns into an "Anywhere Pass" on weekends.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:54 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
It is a Major City in the Philly Metro so it should be stickied...
Wilmington is more Major.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 12:48 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

A Philadelphia burbs thread should cover the rest of the region very well. Camden is full of excitement right now, with many projects either under way, or proposed. It deserves its own thread.

And yes, Camden should be stickied to Philadelphia.

Oh, and THANKS Nexis4Jersey!

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:24 AM

Why not just combine Wilmington and Camden, and rename the thread the "Philadelphia Metropolitan Area Thread." That way all areas can be covered in one thread: Camden, Wilmington, Bala Cynwyd, Conshohocken, King of Prussia, West Chester, etc. etc.

No point in fracturing up all of these different threads.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:31 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Why not just combine Wilmington and Camden, and rename the thread the "Philadelphia Metropolitan Area Thread." That way all areas can be covered in one thread: Camden, Wilmington, Bala Cynwyd, Conshohocken, King of Prussia, West Chester, etc. etc.

Plus, I doubt there will be enough developments in the individual locals to keep it lively.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:33 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

Summer's, I have to very respectfully disagree. Camden has a lot going on in a fairly concentrated area. Overall it is under a major revitalization process. IMHO, a Camden thread makes very good sense, and doesn't fracture the Philadelphia thread(s). I've lobbied for a Camden thread in the past, and I'm happy it's here.

But make no mistake, Summers, you are certainly THE MAN!

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Summer's, I have to very respectfully disagree. Camden has a lot going on in a fairly concentrated area. Overall it is under a major revitalization process. IMHO, a Camden thread makes very good sense, and doesn't fracture the Philadelphia thread(s). I've lobbied for a Camden thread in the past, and I'm happy it's here.

But make no mistake, Summers, you are certainly THE MAN!
Well thank you haha.

I understand now it has a lot going on, but as moderators we have to try to think of ways to create threads that will have a lot of traffic, a lot of posts, and a lot of activities. Camden and Wilmington may have a good amount going on now, but what about when that activity dies down? Having all these different threads for smaller cities don't make sense. Having them all combined in one thread where updates can be posted on multiple cities or suburbs might make more sense.

For instance, San Francisco has a thread, then there is a separate thread for the remainder of the Bay Area.

There is also a Los Angeles thread, and a Los Angeles Metro thread.

Instead of individual thread for all of the surrounding cities, there is a thread for the central city, and a second thread for the surrounding metro area.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:59 AM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

^Sounds right to me!

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 6:24 AM

Would you guys prefer to keep a separate Wilmington thread, or would you mind if we created an overall "Philadelphia Metro Development Thread" to cover all cities like Wilmington, Camden, Conshohocken and suburbs like Ardmore, Bala Cynwyd, King of Prussia, etc. and all of the development going on?

Therefore we would have the Philadelphia City Thread and then a separate Philadelphia Metro thread to cover all the small cities and towns surrounding?

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 6:25 AM

Would you guys prefer to keep a separate Camden thread, or would you mind if we created an overall "Philadelphia Metro Development Thread" to cover all cities like Wilmington, Camden, Conshohocken and suburbs like Ardmore, Bala Cynwyd, King of Prussia, etc. and all of the development going on?

Therefore we would have the Philadelphia City Thread and then a separate Philadelphia Metro thread to cover all the small cities and towns surrounding?

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 8:45 AM

Better off combined into a "metro" thread IMO....

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
Better off combined into a "metro" thread IMO....
Agreed.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 12:01 PM

There should be thread for each part of the region and it should be stickied.. Camden & South Jersey , Southeastern PA , Wilmington & Northern Delaware. There would be no harm in creating and sticking those threads...it would overload the thread..

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 12:49 PM

Camden is directly across the river from CC, connected by local mass transit, and I think significantly more important to Philadelphia than other nearbyish cities. Personally, I think it makes sense to have a separate thread (though not sure it should be stickied). If things die down it can always be combined.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:17 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

After some deliberation, we've decided to do two things:

1. The Camden and Wilmington threads are merged into a new Philadelphia General Developments thread.
2. The thread has been moved to the Northeast section of the forum, so as not to clutter up the P&C subfora. (Please note that the Philadelphia P&C subforum is a link-redirect subforum; this will not change.)

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:13 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

What the hell happened to the titles...is this the low rise thread?

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:46 PM

I like that this thread exists; there is so much more development we can talk about! I'm pretty interested at what has been happening in Phoenixville. It's a really great urban center along the Schuylkill between Chester and Montgomery counties, with a ton of Victorian-era charm and post-industrial re-use from it's steel-producing heyday. Very quietly Phoenixville has been a great success story for historic preservation and reuse while adapting to modern urbanism.

This month they should be wrapping up the Phoenix Village development: 275 rental units and 20,000 sqft retail mixed-use. It's right in the center of Phoenixville, along Bridge Street, a quickly-growing restaurant and beer destination.

Additionally, right across French Creek is a 350 rental unit development called Riverworks that is under construction right now as well. Personally I think this development is quite ugly... the previous renderings, the ones I intended to show you until I found these new ones, were much better actually.

Right along Bridge Street, Chatty Monks is moving into and renovating the former Superior Beverage Bottling Co.

Bluebird Distilling moved into this formerly-abandoned dry cleaning property on the corner of Bridge Street.

The Phoenixville Foundry building is another great re-use project

As is Byrne Lofts, the coversion of another former textile mill.

On the North Side, the redevelopment of the Franklin Commons complex has had a huge community impact. It use to be a huge textile mill. This was the best (and only) photo I could find.

But now.. it serves as an event space for community functions, has art galleries, a day-care, and now Renaissance Academy Charter School is moving there and adding athletic facilities.

And of course, the classic Colonial Theater is going to be expanding as well. Ahh if only we could get train service out here, then things might REALLY take off!

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; May 5, 2016 at 8:08 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations