HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
It says here that "The new 12-gate facility will connect via the Automated People Mover System to the existing 28-gate international concourse E, creating a 40-gate international air travel complex at Hartsfield-Jackson."

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Airpo...n_Maynard.aspx

So why would any other ground transportation be needed?
The idea behind the new international terminal is to eliminate the baggage re-check process within concourse E. The underground people-mover is inside security, so having to use it means having to re-check bags anyway. My guess is that immigration and customs will be moved exclusively to the new international terminal, or the existing facilities within concourse E will be connected seamlessly with those in concourse F in a way that will eliminate the need for re-check.

That all said, I think the best solution to this issue is to allow arriving international passengers the option of rechecking their bags even if their final destination is ATL, so they can get to the west side of the airport. Shuttle buses could also complement this for those who don't want to re-check.

Departing international passengers who use MARTA to get to the airport or those that need to return rental cars should be given the option of international check-in at the existing west-side terminal complex.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta