HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 2:54 AM

Yangtze, I am a bit confused by your idea. If one is a local ATL passenger arriving on a flight at the new International Terminal then one would have no need to return to the Main Terminal area. Should one need to take the train one can just hop on the shuttles or whatever mode of transportation is in effect. The only customers who would need to access Concourses T through E would be non-local passengers, i.e., customers who are only connecting in Atlanta. If that is the case then these passengers would, as in every other domestic airport claim their bags, clear customs, and then proceed to baggage re-check (one exception: passengers connecting in ATL from an international destination and proceeding to another international destination, e.g. Santiago de Chile, Chile --> Atlanta --> Moscow, Russian Federation. These passengers have their bags checked onward).

Regardless, there will still be a security checkpoint at both the entrance to the new Terminal and in the area of the Airport Train station.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 4:43 PM

New lines have cut wait times at Hartsfield

By JIM THARPE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Those snaking, hour-long security lines that for years have infuriated passengers at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport might be a thing of the past.

A $26 million security checkpoint expansion, better staffing by the Transportation Security Administration and specially designated security lanes have all but eliminated waits of more than 20 minutes during the last three months.

Ten new security gates opened at Hartsfield-Jackson about three months back — there are now 32 — and the airport added so-called “black diamond” lanes to separate more experienced travelers from their less-traveled counterparts. The airport also opened Clear lanes that cost passengers about $128 a year and are intended primarily for business travelers.

It’s dramatically better,” said Vinings loan officer Kevin Jones. “I think they’ve got it down.”

Jones, who flies three or four times a month, said his waits now average about 10-20 minutes during the busiest travel times. And often, the wait is much less, he said.

Code:
Hartsfield-Jackson security lines exceeding 20 minutes: 

2007    2008 
Nov.    63       0 
Dec.    64       3 
       2008    2009 
Jan.    33       2

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 9:00 PM

Guys,
On Rosser International's website they have some renderings of an alteration to one side of Concourse C they worked on that was never built. I don't know if it ever will be built. Anyway, the website is flash so I can't really post the pictures. You'll have to go to http://www.rosser.com/site.html and click on "our work" and then click on Aviation/Military. If you ask me Concourse C and D at least need something like this, especially D.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompuss View Post
Guys,
On Rosser International's website they have some renderings of an alteration to one side of Concourse C they worked on that was never built. I don't know if it ever will be built. Anyway, the website is flash so I can't really post the pictures. You'll have to go to http://www.rosser.com/site.html and click on "our work" and then click on Aviation/Military. If you ask me Concourse C and D at least need something like this, especially D.
That would be a spectacular way to update the exterior of all the concourses.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 1:46 PM

Yeah, the exterior is a real improvement. The interior is a really sterile, however -- no better than what we have now.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompuss View Post
Guys,
This one? It looks like this might be designed to add additional gates to the Concourse. Its probably a part of the airports long term expansion plans.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 6:50 PM

I wish they would put moving sidewalks within the concourses. It's a hell of a hike for people who don't walk too good.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
I wish they would put moving sidewalks within the concourses. It's a hell of a hike for people who don't walk too good.
With that kind of redesign, they could easily do so.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 9:46 PM

That would be a very cool design particularly for RJ passengers. Its not a gate but still shielded and covered plus it makes the parking for regionals parking more organized.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 1:28 AM

You know guys, in all seriousness this kind of shows one direction they're trying to go. If you can take one wing of a concourse that is plannned to handle-lets say 20 aircraft and you alter it to handle 30 aircraft of smaller size, and it allows you to keep passengers from having to walk out to the tarmac than you have a win-win situation.

On that note: Various concourses have gone through renovations to alter flooring, walls, retail, etc. What's to say that one day they couldn't go through and add skylights, ala O'hare. It would be expensive but its cheaper than rebuiding a whole new concourse, and it would create a hell of a better experience for the traveler.

Hell, what's to say we do something like the above picture to both side of concourses T through D with the alterations to allow for more planes of all sizes.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 7:16 AM

That wasn't an add-on job at O'Hare. They tore down and completely rebuilt Terminal 1.

I'd love to see something similar done with the current concourses at ATL, but that's probably 20 years down the road. The recent renovations should stick around for that long.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 2:52 AM

Delta Adding Route to Brasilia

Delta Air Lines Inc. plans to start nonstop service this winter between Atlanta and Brasilia, Brazil.

Atlanta-based Delta (NYSE: DAL) will be the only U.S. airline to fly nonstop to Brasilia starting Dec. 17, pending government approvals.

The airline already has flights to five other Brazilian cities. Delta has flown between Atlanta and Sao Paulo for more than 10 years and has nonstop flights between Atlanta and Rio de Janeiro, New York City-JFK and Sao Paulo, Atlanta and Manaus, and a direct one-stop flight connecting Atlanta to Recife and Fortaleza.

On May 21, Delta also will begin nonstop service between Los Angeles and Sao Paulo.

"As Delta continues to grow in Latin America, this new flight to Brasilia becomes a significant step in our expansion given the governmental and diplomatic activity in Brazil's capital," said Jim Cron, Delta's senior vice president of global sales and distribution, in a news release. "Of course, Brasilia also is a base for some of the most important companies in South America, and we look forward to better serve the travel needs of the business sector by offering more direct flights and connections between Brazil and the United States, Europe and Asia."

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 8:45 PM

State grab?

I don't understand this article at all: Lawmaker wants state to run Hartsfield

Under what possible authority could the state take over the city-owned airport? Is this guy a crackpot?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 9:13 PM
Reliable Source

I'm all for state takeover. You can be sure this didn't pop up out of nowhere. Delta is very unhappy with the current administration of the airport. Several issues have been handled ineptly.

One thing I noticed: there's a lot of extraneous personnel standing around, being paid for (mostly) by Delta landing fees. I came through the international terminal the other day, and in the customs area there were some 20 extra airport (not customs) employees basically doing nothing but standing around, showing people to the baggage claim and exit which are well-marked anyway. There's a lot of extra "help" in the atrium between the north and south terminals as well. The overall "feel" is schlocky.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 9:23 PM

Maybe it might be slightly top heavy employee wise but it makes sense to have a lot of helpers on the international side. Alot of people who fly international may never have connected through here or maybe have just never flown internationally and may need extra help. So the state takes the airport over and diverts all the money from that and the metro, to outside the metro? People complain about this airport and how awful it is. Have you used Heathrow or JFK or MIA? Those are badly managed clusters. Lets not forget we have a unique position outside of nnew york to fly to any corner of the world NON-stop yes thats due to Delta but if the airport was badly run and was not a condusive environment than that wouldnt nearly be the case.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 9:37 PM
Reliable Source

The airport is simply designed, which is a big plus, but there are too many people doing unnecessary things. Everything is well-marked. It's a jobs program, and very obvious to everyone who comes through.

Word is that Delta is upset. This city may be killing the golden goose. Delta is considering further developing a couple of sub-hubs at the expense of Atlanta.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 9:49 PM

Delta realizes that they cant replicate what they have done in ATL at any of there hubs, even DTW. Atlanta realizes that its in its best intrest to make its flagship tenant happy. Its posturing by both. Even Bastian said in the confrence call last week that he expects the issues will be worked out and basically they are on the same page. The DL main hub will still be here any reductions will have to do with the economic realities not with this solvable issue. The international terminal will be built(albeit somewhat late) and things will be fine.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 10:11 PM

I see no reason for a state takeover of Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. I would also question the reasoning behind this proposal.

By aviation experts, Hartsfield-Jackson was awarded the best run airport...and this was within the last two years. Secondly, as with all big business, Delta's grips about fees at Hartsfield Jackson was pure postering. Again, I lean on industry experts who clearly stated that the tift between the airport and Delta over fees were merely a way to get the airport to hold fees down. With a simple research of fees of other airports, Hartsfield Jackson is not some bloated entity. Even with the 100% increase in fees...which I am totally against...Hartsfield-Jackson would not be drastically above peer airports. In fact it would still be lower than the NYC area airports...and Denver is I am not mistaken...and in line with O'Hare. The airport and Ben DeCosta have recieved numerous accolades from industry leaders and experts.

This brings me to question...why now? What about all the investment that Atlanta has put into the airport over the many decades? Will there be some sort of reimbursement? If anything, the state should focus on getting the cirrus together down at the Department of Transportation. Other neighboring states had shovel ready projects to reap the benefits of the stimulus package. We had none. Personally, I liked Gena Evans as the head, so I'm not going to blame it on her....but if the Department of Transportation and the Dept. of Agriculture are any indication of state run efficiency then I say leave it in the hands of Atlanta.

Talk about jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 10:12 PM
Reliable Source

AtlWest,

You may be right, but I hope the state takes over and fixes the obvious problems and makes further improvements. It's a state resource, not just an Atlanta resource.

Obviously I'm not a fan of Atlanta.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
AtlWest,

You may be right, but I hope the state takes over and fixes the obvious problems and makes further improvements. It's a state resource, not just an Atlanta resource.

Obviously I'm not a fan of Atlanta.

Is the airport state supported? Has previous improvements been funded by the state? I'm trying to figure out how it's a state resource. Are they going to take over Middle Georgia Airport in Macon...or the one in Columbus, Augusta and Savannah. Why they are at it, they might as well take over the state's second busiest airport from DeKalb?

I'm neither for nor against Atlanta...I tend to try align myself on the side of RIGHT. When you do that, you can never go wrong.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta