HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Every time I visited Shibuya it was packed. The video below doesn't do it justice, to what I have seen in the evening. Of course, every time I visited Times Square is also was packed, but not nearly at the same level. I've been to both cities numerous times. Shinjuku is a different beast that cannot be captured from a single vantage point.

Video Link

street outside Shinjuku stn.

gaijinpot

apparently with 4 million people passing through every day, Shinjuku station is the world's busiest, yet one of the cleanest:
Video Link
The opposite of political correctness is not unvarnished truth-telling. It is political expression that is careless toward the beliefs and attitudes different than one’s own. In its more extreme fashion, it is incivility, indecency or vulgarity. These are the true alternatives to political correctness. l

Last edited by MolsonExport; Jan 24, 2019 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 7:47 PM
Paradise Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Old screenshots I put on flickr like 7 years ago...anyhow I tend to go by how large the 5K+ or 10K+ density cluster is.
I made something similar years ago for several midsized US cities but I made the density demarcations at 10k, 15k and 20k. I thought this may be a good way to visualize the footprint of urbanity as it exists in American cities of this size. These are from the 2010 census and are all to the same scale.

Atlanta

Baltimore

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Denver

Honolulu

Houston

Miami

Milwaukee

Minneapolis - St Paul

New Orleans

Pittsburgh

Portland

Providence

St Louis

Seattle

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
If going by the feel of the Central Business District and scope and density of surrounding neighborhoods.

1. New York City
2. Chicago
(Toronto)
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Washington D.C.
6. Philadelphia

If travelling extensively to areas all over the city limits.

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
(Toronto)
4. Philadelphia
5. San Francisco
6. Washington D.C.
Mostly with you, but I included Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda, Emeryville, Daly City, S. San Francisco, San Bruno, San Leandro, Albany Kensington with SF and Camden, Pennsauken, Collingswood, Upper Darby, Bala Cynwyd, Yeadon and surrounds with Philadelphia. With that SF feels bigger.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Curious, have you been to Houston, Dallas and / or Atlanta?

Hard for me personally to envision a U.S. top 10 list by "feel" that doesn't include at least one of those 3.
To be honest I haven’t been to either of those three cities, besides airports.
Used photos and google street views to get an idea, although I realize that’s no substitute. But I imagine Dallas and Atlanta would feel pretty big because they have multiple areas of decent street activity besides downtown. It’s not just buildings that make a city feel big. Concentrated streets with ample pedestrians around give you that “lost in the big city feel”. Baltimore feels bigger than Phoenix to me.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 7:50 AM
Anti-NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
But I imagine Dallas and Atlanta would feel pretty big because they have multiple areas of decent street activity besides downtown.
To me, Houston feels bigger than both.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 1:53 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Houston feels like an absolute beast if you are in a car driving down the western leg of Beltway 8. On a clear day you can see all of the different skylines, its almost as impressive as when you drive into Chicago from the west and suddenly there's a wall of skyscrapers stretching across the entire horizon.

But at street level or the neighborhoods it's all a big suburb and doesn't have the same immersive "big city" atmosphere as significantly smaller cities like Denver and even San Antonio. The sprawl just goes on, and on, and on, and on.

Anyways, for a city that "feels" way bigger than it actually is, I nominate Milwaukee. Especially north along the lake, or down National Ave. out towards West Allis and the Fairground area.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:09 PM
Anti-NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Anyways, for a city that "feels" way bigger than it actually is, I nominate Milwaukee.
I nominate New Orleans. The city/MSA feels and looks much bigger than 393,292/1,275,762.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions