HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 12:33 AM

Those are not even the better views from that tower.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 7:56 PM
Ascension

That corner balcony unit though. I would need a giant bean bag and probably some plants and I probably would never leave that space.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
That corner balcony unit though. I would need a giant bean bag and probably some plants and I probably would never leave that space.
That's literally my dream in life...

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Roger Vincent
Los Angeles Times
May 2, 2024

By many measures, downtown Los Angeles’ newest apartment tower is over the top with such gilded flourishes as stone tiles from Spain lining the elevator cabs and hand-troweled Italian plaster on interior walls. Humming birds have somehow found the fruit-laden trees decorating the outdoor lounge on the 41st floor..
Quote:
The developers of Figueroa Eight declined to say how many of its 438 units they’ve rented out so far, but said leases are on track with projections and that the tower is attracting strong interest.

Fig eight's website since the beginning has shown few floors with available units. I'm counting around 39 right now, which if accurate means the apt tower has filled up quite nicely. If so, Mitsui may feel more confident to start work on their 2nd apt tower a few blocks to the east.

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmy2 View Post
That's literally my dream in life...
Imagine that dream + a big terrace facing that view… I want them to build their 8th & Grand tower so bad.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:10 AM

https://commercialobserver.com/2024/...wers-for-sale/

Oceanwide Plaza is going on sale. Hopefully something comes through quickly. The latest estimate to finish construction is ~865M$, which is less than I would've thought.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:11 PM

Quote:

Community-based nonprofit Little Tokyo Service Center is partnering with Go For Broke National Education Center (GFBNEC) to build the Go For Broke Plaza and First Street North Residences, one of the City of LA’s largest 100% affordable housing developments, in the heart of historic Little Tokyo. This 100% affordable, mixed-use, transit-oriented development will create an unprecedented 248 affordable units, with 80 permanent supportive housing set-asides including for homeless veterans, many of whom receive services at the VA campus directly across the street.

With nearly one third of local businesses closing during the COVID-19 pandemic, another key component of this project is preserving the affordability of Little Tokyo for local and legacy small businesses, including 120+ year old Fugetsu-do Confectionary, Suehiro Cafe, and other longtime establishments.

Established in the 1890’s, Little Tokyo is the largest of only four remaining “Japantowns” in the US and the second oldest neighborhood in Los Angeles.

Video Link

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisheye View Post

Oceanwide Plaza is going on sale. Hopefully something comes through quickly. The latest estimate to finish construction is ~865M$, which is less than I would've thought.
The problem with Oceanwide Plaza is that not only do you need to spend the $865MM to finish (good luck getting financing for that)... but then your finished product is a bunch of luxury condos (good luck with that), two story retail (good luck with that), and a hotel (not so bad).

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisheye View Post

That article ends with a strange twist. It speculates that finding financing to finish the project will be hard because "office deals" are suffering nationwide and "office leasing" is suffering in LA specifically. I mean, that's true--but Oceanwide isn't an office project, and residential projects are hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
The problem with Oceanwide Plaza is that not only do you need to spend the $865MM to finish (good luck getting financing for that)... but then your finished product is a bunch of luxury condos (good luck with that), two story retail (good luck with that), and a hotel (not so bad).
The recent LA Times article about "two downtowns" (office and residential) noted that downtown condos are selling well, in large part because they are 1) new, and 2) more affordable than similar units on the Westside. We know there is pent-up demand for new residential in LA overall, and that zoning and NIMBYs make it hard to meet that demand anywhere except downtown right now. If I had the funding I would buy and finish Oceanwide, but that's just me.

Question: can the new developer switch condos to apartments?

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:47 PM

Quote:
That article ends with a strange twist. It speculates that finding financing to finish the project will be hard because "office deals" are suffering nationwide and "office leasing" is suffering in LA specifically. I mean, that's true--but Oceanwide isn't an office project, and residential projects are hot.

The recent LA Times article about "two downtowns" (office and residential) noted that downtown condos are selling well, in large part because they are 1) new, and 2) more affordable than similar units on the Westside. We know there is pent-up demand for new residential in LA overall, and that zoning and NIMBYs make it hard to meet that demand anywhere except downtown right now. If I had the funding I would buy and finish Oceanwide, but that's just me.

Question: can the new developer switch condos to apartments?
I work in a large commerical real estate company. They think something will get done from this, just not what the plans will be.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post

Retail is weird right now but I absolutely believe it can thrive if done well. Problem with LA's retail scene is that stores are standalone and difficult to get to. But if you look at clusters of retail areas like The Grove or Westfield CC they are always crowded as its now more about the experience. Hell, I was at Northridge mall this past weekend to do a return and it was packed. I imagine if Oceanwide retail is anything like Westfield CC it can succeed especially with its close proximity to Staples.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:33 PM

Oceanwide's unique location will likely work in its favor. Crowds of visitors walking to and from the arena, convention center, and LA Live are a great market--they often have time on their hands before and after their events, and money to burn. Meanwhile, food & beverage spaces can be easily filled before and after events and conventions. If Oceanwide were significantly farther north or east, retail would be a tougher sell.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Yes I noticed that too. If Oceanwide yields high end apartments they will rent very easily I think.

Quote:
Oceanwide's unique location will likely work in its favor. Crowds of visitors walking to and from the arena, convention center, and LA Live are a great market--they often have time on their hands before and after their events, and money to burn. Meanwhile, food & beverage spaces can be easily filled before and after events and conventions. If Oceanwide were significantly farther north or east, retail would be a tougher sell.
The proximity to the CC is an important point. I go to some big conferences in the San Diego Convention Center and always here people comment about how few dining/entertainment options are available in close proximity to LACC.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:10 PM

Great news about oceanwide. I know rates are tough right now. But the right developer could get this project at a deep discount already 50+% built. And it is a unique situation. A prime location across from a major destination. I also think the city will be eager to see it cross the finish line by any means.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:56 PM

Speaking of Oceanwide, I snapped this from the 12th floor of the Hotel Figueroa one week ago today. The overhanging deck looks really cool from this angle:

Old Posted Today, 1:31 AM
Ascension

The saga of Oceanwide Plaza would make for a great multi episode Netflix docu-series.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations