HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ Re: Ogden, Natarus tried to get this through a long time ago... it's not a new idea by any means. Anyway, it was a non-starter, dead at the gate.

I happen to like the building that is there anyway, so it was fine for me.
Between a few clouty parents and Newberry Plaza (studies showing the building maintains the highest density of NIMBYism between the coasts), it's not surprising it's a non-starter. I agree with honte that it's actually a pretty decent example of increasingly-rare Art Moderne. But I would support it's replacement with an 80 story highrise, preferably oriented and situated to maximize the blockage of light and air reaching Newberry Plaza and funnel maximum traffic thereto.
Quote:
___

@ VivaL, are you positive that the proposed landmarking of the north side bank was rejected? What a shame if so - I was seriously hoping it would be an indication of the city's appreciation and willingness to protect some of its smaller Modern masterpieces.
I thought it was simply removed from the list to be voted on, not rejected as a landmark, i.e. so it could still be landmarked some day. I'm not 100% on this though.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 9:21 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
But I would support it's replacement with an 80 story highrise, preferably oriented and situated to maximize the blockage of light and air reaching Newberry Plaza and funnel maximum traffic thereto.
Yeah, I could handle that!

I checked into the bank issue and you are correct, the issue is not over yet and hence not ready to be voted on. It could still be designated in the near future after the outstanding "issues" are resolved. This is very good news because Chicago has its stupid clause that prevents the reconsideration of protecting a buildng if it is ever rejected by the Commission.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 9:30 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I was on Devon Ave. last weekend and saw that the Bombay Bazaar is pretty close to completion. I'm also waiting for that development on Devon & Rockwell to finally get started. Does anybody know anything about the judge's ruling on the case brought up against it by the goddamn NIMBY tyrants?
This website has lots of info on projects in that area:
http://www.crd50.org/index.html

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 11:29 PM
TL;DR

^^ Why is it a bad idea? Reilly obviously won't be the best person to pitch the idea to, but a privately-developed tower here would raise quite a bit of money for CPS and fill a hole in an already densely-developed area.

Is the playground open to the public? If not, then its presence adds nothing to the neighborhood. If this indeed would be a loss of public space, then perhaps the tower and school can be combined along the State Street side and a park/playground preserved on the Dearborn side (where the sun won't be blocked by Walton OTP).

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 11:52 PM

surprised no one has mentioned this anywhere. This is huge.

Daley announces $2.5 billion lease for Midway Airport
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...announces.html

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 12:49 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
^^ Why is it a bad idea? Reilly obviously won't be the best person to pitch the idea to, but a privately-developed tower here would raise quite a bit of money for CPS and fill a hole in an already densely-developed area.
It's common sense, therefore won't happen.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 2:15 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
This website has lots of info on projects in that area:
http://www.crd50.org/index.html
^ Thanks for the link.

Devon Ave is ripe for some residential-over-retail development. I think there is a deep market of aging Indians who would buy units there. Just a hunch..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 11:14 AM

anyone have recent shots of the Art Institute addition/bridge? I hope I'm not alone when I say it looks absolutely fantastic and keeps getting better as construction nears completion. it's the first Piano building for the city, right?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
surprised no one has mentioned this anywhere. This is huge.

Daley announces $2.5 billion lease for Midway Airport
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...announces.html
Something I don't understand is that the leasing deal is for $2.5 billion but the city only nets $1 billion. What happens to the other $1.5 billion?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! View Post
Something I don't understand is that the leasing deal is for $2.5 billion but the city only nets $1 billion. What happens to the other $1.5 billion?
The rest of the money would be used to pay off Midway's debt, which is apparently substantial. Don't know how they ran up so much debt...

Taft

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taft View Post
Don't know how they ran up so much debt...

Taft
Most likely from when they rebuilt the entire terminal complex in a multi-year, multi-phase project while maintaining operations a few years ago.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 4:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taft View Post
Don't know how they ran up so much debt...
Its called the incompetence of public governance. I'm willing to bet that service and quality at Midway improves further (its already a good airport) after this deal...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 5:32 PM
tilted & shifted

$40-million revamp of Inland Steel Building

By Alby Gallun, Sep. 03, 2008

(Crain’s) — The new owner of the Inland Steel Building plans a $40-million overhaul of the modernist Loop landmark, hoping to finance the project with $16 million in city and federal assistance.

Ten months after paying $57.3 million for the 19-story tower at 30 W. Monroe St., an investment group including New York-based Capital Properties LLC and celebrity architect Frank Gehry has asked two city panels to sign off on the renovation plan for the glass-and-steel structure, considered a pioneering architectural feat when it was completed in 1958.

One goal is to restore many elements of the building to their original appearance. In the lobby, the venture plans to remove the existing acoustical ceiling and bring back original lighting and also take out wood paneling that was installed in the 1980s, covering up the original black Belgian marble.

http://www.chicagoloopalliance.com/n...sid=28&cat=all

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I'm willing to bet that service and quality at Midway improves further (its already a good airport) after this deal...
...in exchange for the higher prices charged by a private concessionaire but politically impossible for a government agency to charge. Generally speaking with the occasional exception of gross incompetence, we'll get what we pay for, public or private.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 8:05 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Was in Uptown yesterday & glad to see that this crazy beauty just South of Lawrence on Broadway is getting the full restoration tx:

No visible action yet though on the Uptown Theater.

Last edited by wrab; Oct 2, 2008 at 2:58 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
Was in Uptown yesterday & glad to see that this crazy beauty just South of Lawrence on Broadway is getting the full restoration tx:

No visible action yet though on the Uptown Theater.
Word on the street as far as Uptown is that the guy who owns JAM (known to be notoriously cheap) is contemplating doing the renovation himself. If that's going to actually be the case, I wouldn't be holding my breath for much of anything good happening there.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 1:46 PM
The City

NIMBY"s mellowing down on this one?

10/1/2008 10:00:00 PM

Provided: Solomon Cordwell Buenz
The Addison Park on Clark would stand nearly eye-to-eye with Wrigley Field.

Wrigleyville under debate
New plans for Addison—Clark complex strive to quell community criticism

By JESSICA PUPOVAC
Editor

Developers unveiled a revised plan last Thursday for a massive, mixed-use development that would sit directly across the street from Wrigley Field and include nearly 200 residential units, a Hyatt Place hotel, more than 500 parking spaces, multiple retailers and a health club.

If approved, the structure, dubbed Addison Park on Clark, would span the entire length of Addison Street, from Sheffield to Clark. It would be built around an existing souvenir shop on the corner of Clark and Addison and the hotel portion would stretch down Clark past Eddy.

John C. Lahey, chairman of Solomon Cordwell Buenz, design partner for the development team, led the presentation. He said that the structure had been modified to address community concerns aired in January, after another set of prints was presented to the public.

But many in attendance were unsatisfied.

"At the January meeting, a directive was sent back to these guys that it was too big, and they returned with something bigger," Greg Rohner of Triangle Neighbors told Booster after the meeting. "It's like, if you want to buy something, and it's too expensive, the merchant doesn't come back with a higher price."

The new plans call for a building that stands 105 feet at street level, which is exactly the same height as the previous design. The highest point, in the center of the building, would be 122 feet tall. However, the new complex would house more residential units (up from 150 to 196), hotel rooms (up from 137 to 165) and contain an extra 40,000 square feet in retail space. It would require a zoning upgrade from B3-2 and B3-3 to B3-5.

But, according to Lahey, "To make things work economically, we need this kind of density."

Developers argued that, they incorporated an additional lot along Clark, in order to move the building back along the street to allow green space at the street level, a move which reduced the impact of the structure on the local environment.

Rohner admitted that this was a nice touch. "I think they addressed a lot of the concerns on Clark," he said.

But a nonscientific survey conducted earlier this year by the Lake View Citizens Council suggested that the chief concerns in the local community are traffic congestion and the ability of small businesses to stay afloat.

According to property owner Steven Schultz, he has signed a letter of intent with CVS Pharmacy. Other big-name retailers including Dominick's, Best Buy and numerous clothing stores are also interested in setting up shop there.

As for traffic, Lahey said, the seemingly scant amount of parking spaces are intended to encourage retail workers and residents to take public transportation. "Density close to transit stops is a good thing in general," he said. "It's the way that cities are going to survive."

Bill Patrun of Bristol Chicago Development LLC, another partner in the Addison Park project, added that when the design team's traffic study, mandated by the Department of Transportation, is completed, they will share those findings with the community.

Residents gave ground on the potential economic advantages of the hotel itself.

"Obviously, a hotel is a wonderful addition to the neighborhood," said Rev. Jennifer Owen-O'Quill of the Second Unitarian Church of Chicago, "but it is important to think about what this is going to mean as far as whether this neighborhood will remain residential."

Ald. Tom Tunney (44th) echoed her remarks. "This is a whole different scale then what we're used to in our neighborhood," he said. "The concerns are very important here, and we've asked them to continue to work with community groups and make it as good of a plan as possible."

But, ultimately, he said, something needs to happen.

"In my mind, people feel the site is underutilized and underdeveloped, and it's certainly not an asset to the community at large, so there needs to be development on this site. Let's make it the best development we can."

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
Word on the street as far as Uptown is that the guy who owns JAM (known to be notoriously cheap) is contemplating doing the renovation himself. If that's going to actually be the case, I wouldn't be holding my breath for much of anything good happening there.
Well, the Uptown is a landmark so there would be certain standards for the restoration, correct? And any TIF money involved could also have strings attached.

As TUP suggested a while ago, my biggest concern/fear will be the effort to turn the non-landmarked structures in the neighborhood into surface parking lots used maybe once or twice a week.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 4:25 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
$40-million revamp of Inland Steel Building

By Alby Gallun, Sep. 03, 2008

One goal is to restore many elements of the building to their original appearance. In the lobby, the venture plans to remove the existing acoustical ceiling and bring back original lighting and also take out wood paneling that was installed in the 1980s, covering up the original black Belgian marble.

http://www.chicagoloopalliance.com/n...sid=28&cat=all
Why were the 1980's the WORST period for architecture in the last 3000 years? They covered up marble for wood paneling??? I'm sure somewhere there's a logical explanation.

I'm glad to see this building get a face lift. The real estate market may be in the dumps but revitalizing the Loop is, in my opinion, more important to long term growth anyway.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
10/1/2008 10:00:00 PM

"At the January meeting, a directive was sent back to these guys that it was too big, and they returned with something bigger," Greg Rohner of Triangle Neighbors told Booster after the meeting. "It's like, if you want to buy something, and it's too expensive, the merchant doesn't come back with a higher price."
love it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development