HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 6:52 PM

Thanks Tennis! It looks like a good fit from the sketches. I hope everything works out

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
Thanks Tennis! It looks like a good fit from the sketches. I hope everything works out
Im sure it will... once someone gets approval from ARC committee the commission usually approves it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:20 PM

Holy Cross redevelopment shot down...
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._river_default

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Holy Cross redevelopment shot down...
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._river_default
I came to an impasse with ARC committee on a project and then went straight to HDLC commission and they overruled ARC Committee.

Ultimately the city council member can override the HDLC too... luckily for the developer he isnt in district c so he may just be better off going to City Councilperson Gray if the HDLC shoots them down too.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I came to an impasse with ARC committee on a project and then went straight to HDLC commission and they overruled ARC Committee.

Ultimately the city council member can override the HDLC too... luckily for the developer he isnt in district c so he may just be better off going to City Councilperson Gray if the HDLC shoots them down too.
It never ceases to amaze me the control that residents think they should have over other people's money- one guy on nola.com said "this just serves to line the developer's pockets"...well, duh... someone needs to tell them that beggars can't be choosers... it's a vacant lot.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:37 PM

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me the control that residents think they should have over other people's money- one guy on nola.com said "this just serves to line the developer's pockets"...well, duh... someone needs to tell them that beggars can't be choosers... it's a vacant lot.
Yeah, it's pretty depressing. New Orleans will never reach it's full potential with NIMBYs and ignorance abound...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:38 PM
-

Quote:
You have no idea how frustrating it can be dealing with folks who have no concept of development and the risk entailed. Yes the developer will make money... why the hell else would someone do this. Like the ninth ward is some thriving neighborhood currently... its just frustrating to see that... also dont read nola.com comments ever... it is bad for ones mental and physical health!

BTW dont assume this is just a New Orleans thing either... it can get much worse in other cities... but it still doesnt make it right!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Why do you suggest that residents north of claiborne or st. claude wouldnt be served when they could walk to this new line just like residents below these same streets.?
I certainly agree with you about the density. And to your question, the claiborne line is not walkable past broad and the st. claude line is claiborne.

Also, why should it be a zero-sum game. I am not suggesting that a lakeview line or a gentilly line should preempt the denser lines, but if we are going to dream (because that is what the map is--a wish list), then why not dream big? Should not all be included within the longterm vision?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:59 PM
-

St. Margaret’s to Open Nursing Home in the Former Lindy Boggs Medical CenterBy gnorealestatenews in Medical · April 23, 2013 · No comments

NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune reports that St. Margaret’s at Mercy is planning to open a nursing home in the former Lindy Boggs Medical Center by June. The 115,000 square foot project will be home to 112 people, many moving from a temporary building in the Bywater neighborhood. The first floor will host the Team Gleason House, a specially-designed living space for people suffering from neuromuscular disorders like ALS or multiple sclerosis.

GNORealEstateNews.com posted photos from this morning’s opening ceremony on Twitter. You can see them here. We also recently interviewed Michael Gilman, the Director of Business and Real Estate Development for St. Margaret’s, about the project. You can read that interview here.

http://gnorealestatenews.com/2013/04...edical-center/

Ochsner Moves Women’s Services to Baptist Hospital in New OrleansApril 18, 2013 · No comments

The NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune reports that Ochsner Health System plans to move its primary…

http://gnorealestatenews.com/2013/04...n-new-orleans/

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 12:28 AM
-

Ok this is really confusing and random!!!

W New Orleans sells for $65m
POSTED: 03:10 PM Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chesapeake Lodging Trust Starwood Hotels & Resorts announced today that it has purchased the W New Orleans on Poydras Street from Starwood Hotels & Resorts for $65 million.

Chesapeake Lodging Trust will be renovating the 410-room property but the hotel will keep the W brand name under a long-term management contract with Starwood Hotels.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...sells-for-65m/

Ok so I cant see them having a W across the street from another W but thats what the case would be with this and if Gatehouse wins WTC bid. Did starwood not realize what they were doing here? Clearly the Le Meridien thing isnt happening at the current W spot now but the renovations they planned are just going to be under the W name now. Regardless, Gatehouse Capital must be livid about this!

On another note Peche on Magazine and Julia opened!! Looks nice!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Ok this is really confusing and random!!!

W New Orleans sells for $65m
POSTED: 03:10 PM Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chesapeake Lodging Trust Starwood Hotels & Resorts announced today that it has purchased the W New Orleans on Poydras Street from Starwood Hotels & Resorts for $65 million.

Chesapeake Lodging Trust will be renovating the 410-room property but the hotel will keep the W brand name under a long-term management contract with Starwood Hotels.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...sells-for-65m/

Ok so I cant see them having a W across the street from another W but thats what the case would be with this and if Gatehouse wins WTC bid. Did starwood not realize what they were doing here? Clearly the Le Meridien thing isnt happening at the current W spot now but the renovations they planned are just going to be under the W name now. Regardless, Gatehouse Capital must be livid about this!

On another note Peche on Magazine and Julia opened!! Looks nice!

There was a portion of the Gatehouse Proposal that mentioned this situation. I believe they proposed that if they were selected to redevelop the WTC, the Poydras W would be renovated and rebranded as it no longer meets W branding standards. I am sure Starwood has accounted for this and has planned accordingly and will release details only when required.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 1:05 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
There was a portion of the Gatehouse Proposal that mentioned this situation. I believe they proposed that if they were selected to redevelop the WTC, the Poydras W would be renovated and rebranded as it no longer meets W branding standards. I am sure Starwood has accounted for this and has planned accordingly and will release details only when required.
Read the whole article it says the new owners will renovate the hotel and have signed a longterm management agreement with them and it will keep the W name. It was supposed to be rebranded a Le Meridien well that isnt the case according to the agreement just signed. If you sign a longterm management contract with someone under a flag thats exactly what it is a long term contract not just with starwood but the W brand.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:42 AM

If I were making the monument:

If the committee decides to tear down the WTC, I've been very underwhelmed with the monument proposed by Tricentennial. It has no local significance, it's just something tall and different. So I decided to come up with something on my own. Don't laugh, as I didn't put too much time into it, but I still like it more than Tricentennial's.

The heavens have a new planet. A towering geodesic sphere divided into sky on top, rainforest and sea on bottom, separated by parkspace with a 360 degree view. Supporting this futuristic oasis is a distinctly New Orleans support structure reminiscent of the wrought iron you would find abundantly throughout the city. Visitors from around the world will marvel at the tower's beauty and uniqueness. Locals will not be able to remember a time when it was not there.

The symbolism writes itself.

Last edited by Blitzen; Apr 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 9:21 PM

Beth Israel Deaconness Medical Center

Every time the news talks about the Boston Marathon bombing, I can't help but fall in love with this hospital. Too bad the new UMC won't look like this.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 7:52 PM
-

So Hyatt House Hotel is moving into part of 1250 poydras it seems. Anyone know more about this?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 11:10 PM
TL;DR

Odd to have a Hyatt House so close to the Hyatt Regency. It's also odd to get a Hyatt House at all... there's not a lot of demand for business hotels.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 11:25 PM

Hyatt House

Actually the only real businesses left in NOLA use extended stays a lot: law firms, energy companies and the Hollywood South. Why so close to the Hyatt Regency? cause they are completely different concepts and are designed not to compete. The real question I ask is why be so close to the dome? further down Poydras would be more ideal I would think.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 12:20 AM

TWC Redevelopment

Am I missing something in the 2 proposals for the WTC site? I thought the purpose was to transform the site into something “World Class”. I don't see how pressure washing the building and adding a few LED lights will make it “World Class." If this is all that is done to improve the aesthetics of the building...I vote to tear it down. The building needs more than a renovation...it needs a transformation. The wings at the top should be removed and the concrete skin needs to be re-clad with something current. If its not feasible to transform the WTC into something worthy of the people of New Orleans, tear it down, reduce the quantity of highrise footage, then in 10 - 15 years it may become feasible to build an ultra-modern tower in its place.

To me, the 2 proposals are cop-outs. They’re relying on tax credits to finance their investments. They have little interest in transforming our ho-hum skyline into something amazing. Its just about making a buck at the expense of the taxpayers and the people of NOLA. They remind me of a sleazy used car salesman trying to sell a 70’s Ford Granada, by just cleaning and waxing the old gray paint, and adding new headlights...Its still a POS. Lets not be so desperate that we buy the shined up Granada. We can do better and we should expect better. We don’t need this same old building with new lights taking up this valuable spot in the skyline for another 50 years.

The exact situation is going to occur with the Plaza Tower. The owners are waiting for tax credits to be available so that they can pressure wash, build-out the floors, then open the doors. I'd rather see it leveled. Although it was caught up in litigation, the Giannasca Development Group wanted to transform the tower into a 21st century improvement to the skyline. Too bad it never happened.

Finally...it wasn’t built because of the economy and the real estate fiasco of the last few years, but if the developers for the Trump Tower saw it feasible to construct an 800 plus foot tower in downtown NOLA, these developers can definitely come up with something better than these 2 proposals.

As far as the observation structure, I like the idea, but it doesn’t appear to have any firm financing in place. My desire would be to tear down the WTC, reduce the vacant highrise footage downtown, and leave the site vacant until something “World Class” is feasible.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 2:15 AM

Hello:

I've been trolling this forum for a few years now, so I guess it's appropriate that I finally contribute. I really enjoy the commentary and wealth of information not readily available through other mediums.

Just wanted to touch base on Chesapeake's purchase of W New Orleans, as part of the purchase that property actually will still be reflagged as Le Meridien. This is due to larger changes within the W and Le Meridien brands as well as a strategic expanding of Starwood's brands within the city. After this is complete, five of their nine brands will have a presence in the CBD/FQ area. This is something they have been really looking to do for a while now. So, the WTC proposal wouldn't be affected.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 7:17 AM

Quote:
So Hyatt House Hotel is moving into part of 1250 poydras it seems. Anyone know more about this?
Is there that much space available? Maybe with the hornets moving out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations