HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 11:42 AM
bro

Smile

Since London just got stomped in the latest Top 10 Skylines thread I figured I'd dig through my photos and post a few panos:

====>

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 12:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Good shots. But London doesn't really belong in the top 10. There is little density, and few signature towers. It whips the shit out of K-W (I'd also add St. Catherines), but otherwise it is really unremarkable for its size. Regina and Halifax punch above their weight. London is right at the belt level. KW is really quite terrible given the lack of massing.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 1:16 PM
bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Good shots. But London doesn't really belong in the top 10. There is little density, and few signature towers. It whips the shit out of K-W (I'd also add St. Catherines), but otherwise it is really unremarkable for its size. Regina and Halifax punch above their weight. London is right at the belt level. KW is really quite terrible given the lack of massing.
Definitely agree with you. I've always found London's skyline pretty underwhelming and I doubt much will change in the foreseeable future. Not only is our downtown severely pockmarked with surface lots, but our building design and variety leaves a lot to be desired.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 3:02 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
Prince Rupert, BC - Population 14,000

Cities tallest buildings:
Highliner Hotel - 18 stories
Digby Tower - 12 stories
Coast Hotel - 7 stories
Harbourside Apartments - 5 stories

Wow, Prince Rupert has stunning potential for such a berated city. Great shots!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 12:20 AM

Most people like the front view of their cities but I love the ass of mine

A lot are hidden below but there is reportedly around two dozen construction cranes in the skies of Halifax right now;

All photos taken by me today

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 10:11 PM

That Halifax pano is bitchin'!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 12:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's funny how everything looks like it's around the same height in that picture. The downtown buildings are maybe 50% taller but they're farther away and downhill.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 4:49 PM

Nice to hear so many cranes are dotting your landscape, sounds like your economy is doing well.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 12:20 AM
Urban Fanactic

I thought this thread would be better to post these pictures I took inside of the great Canadian skyline thread becuase they wouldn't get any attention there.

Sault Ste. Marie Ontario

http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/...cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 12:50 AM

Windsor, Ontario

source:Wikipedia

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 1:05 AM
The Vomit Bag.

the soo is better than I remember (been years since I passed through). Windsor is not too bad although very linear.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 4:16 AM
Leaf Nation / Toro Nation

Quote:
I'm thinking the fact that Halifax and Regina are capital cities really helps them in this area. They are going to have a lot of gov't buildings / facilities as a result.

Greater Toronto Area Population: 7,221,909 (JUL 2020)

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 6:52 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoggy View Post
I'm thinking the fact that Halifax and Regina are capital cities really helps them in this area. They are going to have a lot of gov't buildings / facilities as a result.
Regina has the crowns (although some of the crown jobs are also in Saskatoon). This accounts for the towers that SGI, Sastel, Saskpower, and SaskEnergy use... the rest are taken up by private business, with some government services renting some space. The real reason behind Regina's skyline actually comes down to one real estate development firm... The Hill Companies (Harvard Developments). The Hill family (and formerly the McCallum family) were behind the development of many of Regina's towers including some such as the twin towers, FCC (Farm Credit Canada... Federal crown), and many of the bank towers. So although being the capital does help things... I'd say it's even more a result of the Hill/McCallum families.

And to further add on to the Hill family's role, Harvard Developments is also currently building a 3rd tower (Mosaic Tower) beside the twins, and it is rumoured they will be starting construction on another tower at the side of the FCC tower when the Mosaic Tower is complete.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 9:56 AM
Volatile Pacivist

I can't think of any major highrises in Hfx owned or occupied by government either. Being the largest centre in the region definitely helps, but if the capital was say Sydney, Truro, or Yarmouth and assuming Halifax had the same population as it does now, I suspect the skyline would look pretty much the same.

That being said, obviously if Hfx wasn't the capital, it may not have been as large. Or who knows; it may have been larger. Impossible to know...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 8:02 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Good shots. But London doesn't really belong in the top 10.
I agree. The place where I live now, Burnaby, has a population inferior to London's, and yet it has a much bigger skyline. C'mon London, grow up!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 8:16 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Regina has the crowns (although some of the crown jobs are also in Saskatoon). This accounts for the towers that SGI, Sastel, Saskpower, and SaskEnergy use... the rest are taken up by private business, with some government services renting some space. The real reason behind Regina's skyline actually comes down to one real estate development firm... The Hill Companies (Harvard Developments). The Hill family (and formerly the McCallum family) were behind the development of many of Regina's towers including some such as the twin towers, FCC (Farm Credit Canada... Federal crown), and many of the bank towers. So although being the capital does help things... I'd say it's even more a result of the Hill/McCallum families.

And to further add on to the Hill family's role, Harvard Developments is also currently building a 3rd tower (Mosaic Tower) beside the twins, and it is rumoured they will be starting construction on another tower at the side of the FCC tower when the Mosaic Tower is complete.
I think you're discounting the amount of office space occupied by the Province downtown. For instance, the Ministry of Justice occupies almost all of McCallum-Hill Tower I.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 8:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I can't think of any major highrises in Hfx owned or occupied by government either.
There are tons of government offices in downtown Halifax. Larger towers like the Maritime Centre and Purdy's Wharf have offices. Some smaller buildings like Joseph Howe (the ~12 storey black one right by Province House) and I believe the Centennial Building are mostly government offices. I think the Ralston Building is entirely government offices. Note that some of these probably don't appear in totals of office space available for rent, however.

Another big chunk of tenants are "regional centre" type operations. For example, Halifax has the major banking offices for the Atlantic region.

That being said I don't see why government buildings should be considered less legitimate skyline components, and many non-capitals have government buildings as well. I would be surprised if there were no public sector tenants in London's larger office buildings.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 9:11 PM
I am a typical

In Thunder Bay, most of the large office buildings downtown were built by the government, but are no longer occupied by it as they've moved their offices to more specialized buildings in the suburbs. One building that was built for government offices in the Trudeau era lost its last government tenant some time ago. A couple other buildings the government built more recently were also cleared out of government offices to new buildings in the suburbs. Since Harper has been elected we've gotten a new federal government building on pretty much an annual basis here, while the province is just sticking with its two locations for now. Pretty much every large office building has some sort of government tenant from some level of government or publicly funded institution, but I don't think any office buildings (except for a city owned building in the north end) are more than 50% occupied by those types of offices at this point.

All the regional bank offices are in the suburban office parks now.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 6:37 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
I think you're discounting the amount of office space occupied by the Province downtown. For instance, the Ministry of Justice occupies almost all of McCallum-Hill Tower I.
I wasn't aware they occupied that much of it, but be that as it may, if it weren't for the Hills building the tower, the ministry would probably be in some squat 4 storey complex somewhere else in the city instead of downtown.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 7:01 PM
Khan

^ The Civil Law, Public Law, and Prosecutions branches would have offices downtown (close to the courthouses/law firm offices) no matter what.

In any event, I agree with someone123. There's no shame in having government account for office space/highrise construction in a city. There may even be advantages (stable demand, etc.).
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada