HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #11761  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 8:48 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 15,966
^ Last I checked, lots of those midrises in the West Loop lack ground floor retail whatsoever
__________________
Willie Wilson for Mayor of Chicago
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11762  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 9:56 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 10,838
Homewood Hilton - 1101 S Wabash

June 15



__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11763  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 11:31 PM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,918
For some reason, there's one window with ordinary clear glass:



harryc's photo

Undoubtedly it's on somebody's punchlist, but I keep trying to figure out how that happened. Did a window assembly leave the factory with the wrong glass? Was it broken in transit and the contractor just went to the hardware store and bought a replacement pane?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11764  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 11:43 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,924
edit
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11765  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 11:47 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 10,838
172 Ada

June 15

__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11766  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 11:47 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
For some reason, there's one window with ordinary clear glass:



harryc's photo

Undoubtedly it's on somebody's punchlist, but I keep trying to figure out how that happened. Did a window assembly leave the factory with the wrong glass? Was it broken in transit and the contractor just went to the hardware store and bought a replacement pane?
It's probably because they accidentally shattered out outer pane with the reflective coatings and not the inner pane. There was one like that on Optima for a while too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11767  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 12:04 AM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Well, you are definitely undervaluing the South Loop here. It’s not like it’s Antarctica. It’s also adjacent to many of these same hoods, including the Loop itself. Pilsen, Chinatown, and West Loop is right there.

It has an older building stock that has already been converted, plus don’t forget Motor Row and the stuff going on around McCormick Place.

I see no reason why it couldn’t happen
It can't happen because there are no old school buildings for it to happen in. Motor row is miniscule and spans a mere two blocks while being surrounded on all sides by brownfield wastelands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Or maybe, just maybe, it's because the West Loop's opposition to highrises and embrace of human-scale midrises gave it a character that makes it a pleasant place to live and a profitable place to open a business. More importantly, it discouraged landowners from swinging for the fences on every parcel, from holding out for the kind of money that could only be recovered by demolition for a new $600/sq ft highrise whose owners would recoil in horror at the thought of a restaurant on the ground floor.
Lol, name one midrise in the West Loop with a non-chain restaurant in it's base. You can't, I'd actually challenge you to find one midrise in the West Loop with anything significant non-chain in it.

The midrises built in the West Loop have been generally garbage and almost the entire "scene" in the West Loop is on Randolph and Fulton, away from the original crop of West Loop new construction. Why is that?

Because the genuine character and availability of space in the North Half of the West Loop is entirely different and better than of the rest of the neighborhood. There is no strip of buildings anything like Randolph or Fulton anywhere in the South Loop. And no Motor row, 2+ miles south of downtown doesn't cut it. It's two blocks long and on the edge of the neighborhood. The West Loop is the way it is for the same reason Division in Wicker, Milwaukee Ave, Clark Street, Armitage in Lincoln Park, etc etc are the way they are: the bones are fertile soil for lively a lively retail street. The South Loop is bombed out by comparison and that has nothing to do with high-rises.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11768  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 12:35 AM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 10,838
176 N Halsted

June 13







__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11769  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 12:42 AM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 15,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
It can't happen because there are no old school buildings for it to happen in. Motor row is miniscule and spans a mere two blocks while being surrounded on all sides by brownfield wastelands.



Lol, name one midrise in the West Loop with a non-chain restaurant in it's base. You can't, I'd actually challenge you to find one midrise in the West Loop with anything significant non-chain in it.

The midrises built in the West Loop have been generally garbage and almost the entire "scene" in the West Loop is on Randolph and Fulton, away from the original crop of West Loop new construction. Why is that?

Because the genuine character and availability of space in the North Half of the West Loop is entirely different and better than of the rest of the neighborhood. There is no strip of buildings anything like Randolph or Fulton anywhere in the South Loop. And no Motor row, 2+ miles south of downtown doesn't cut it. It's two blocks long and on the edge of the neighborhood. The West Loop is the way it is for the same reason Division in Wicker, Milwaukee Ave, Clark Street, Armitage in Lincoln Park, etc etc are the way they are: the bones are fertile soil for lively a lively retail street. The South Loop is bombed out by comparison and that has nothing to do with high-rises.
Sorry, but I really don’t accept your reasoning. The Mag Mile is the greatest shopping strip in the US interior despite having virtually no vintage building stock.

I think the reason for the West Loop’s boom is much more multifactorial than you are even beginning to address.

The South Loop has reasons why it doesn’t have a genuine shopping strip, but I don’t think the lack of “old buildings” is the most important factor, although I’ll grant that this factor may be a contributor.
__________________
Willie Wilson for Mayor of Chicago
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11770  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 1:09 AM
AMWChicago's Avatar
AMWChicago AMWChicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 145


I rate that glass.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11771  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 1:21 AM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Sorry, but I really don’t accept your reasoning. The Mag Mile is the greatest shopping strip in the US interior despite having virtually no vintage building stock.

I think the reason for the West Loop’s boom is much more multifactorial than you are even beginning to address.

The South Loop has reasons why it doesn’t have a genuine shopping strip, but I don’t think the lack of “old buildings” is the most important factor, although I’ll grant that this factor may be a contributor.
First of all, I never said it's only because there's not old buildings, I cited multiple reasons. But the lack of an intact tract of old buildings is one reason that it will never happen. There isn't a single retail strip in the city that has been built from scratch or mostly from scratch since about 1970 (before WWII if you don't count the weird googie belt districts on the fringes of the city that were built in the old urban style with modern design). It just isn't a thing that happens.

Second of all, are you seriously suggesting that the Mag Mile is an analogue in even the fainest respect for what is going on in the West Loop? That's one of the sillier things I've heard on here for a while. Michigan Ave may not have much vintage stock left, but it has been a retail strip for a century. There is a reason why there isn't any vintage stuff left and it's called big box Marquee retail doesn't like or want vintage buildings because their stores don't fit in them. So many of the older buildings there have bit the dust in favor of modern efficient retail space because you can chrage $250/SF on Boule Mich.

That's got literally zero to do with the South Loop or West Loop. Certainly you don't think that Michigan Ave was pioneered by creative types as was the process I described in the West Loop? Remember when I said that the people who end up creating, working at, and facilitating the types of businesses you see in the West Loop need huge, cheap spaces to attract them?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11772  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 1:31 AM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 10,838
Nobu Hotel

June 13









__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11773  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 1:57 AM
west-town-brad west-town-brad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

multifactorial
Triple Word Score!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11774  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 1:57 AM
marothisu marothisu is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,454
It's really good to see Nobu make progress. Then you realize this thing is only going to be 10 floors up and it's probably going to top off in a month or two if everything keeps going LOL. It'll be good to see that one completed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11775  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:18 AM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
find one midrise in the West Loop with anything significant non-chain in it.
Wait, attracting well-advised creditworthy lessees is now evidence that a retail area is a failure?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11776  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:22 AM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Wait, attracting well-advised creditworthy lessees is now evidence that a retail area is a failure?
Yes because I was arguing the West Loop is a failure...

No you claim that midrises instead of high rises caused the West Loop food scene to boom. None of the West Loop food scene (or arts scene) is located in said midrises. Therefore you are wrong. The South Loop also has plenty of credit tenants, so I take it you are arguing that credit AAA chain tenants are causing a massive street life renaissance in the South Loop too? I know I always am about to have a rukus night out on the town when I see a Potbellys!

Also, the midrises you love jerking off to are all total dirt, absolute garbage from an urban planning perspective. Most of them have giant blank walls on the lower floors for huge parking garages and don't have retail at all, yet you claim they are somehow the reason for the West Loop's success. Absolute tripe you are spouting today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11777  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 2:47 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Certainly you don't think that Michigan Ave was pioneered by creative types as was the process I described in the West Loop? Remember when I said that the people who end up creating, working at, and facilitating the types of businesses you see in the West Loop need huge, cheap spaces to attract them?
I mean, Tower Town...

The tone of this Tribune article is a little hysterical, certainly bohemianism did not die in Chicago in the 1980s lol although it shifted more towards music and the arts and away from revolutionary politics. But a good history nonetheless, and shows how the creative class of the 1910s and 20s fueled the rise of the so-called "carriage trade" on Michigan Avenue before Arthur Rubloff invented the Mag Mile concept, the rest is history.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...russell-jacoby
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11778  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:52 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 19,935
i moved union station community meeting news to the union station thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=224752&page=7
__________________
He has to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11779  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 7:52 PM
Fvn Fvn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 572
Tower crane going up @ 145 s. Wells
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11780  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:59 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 10,838
1201 W Lake

June 15



__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:07 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.