HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 8:48 PM
The City

^ Last I checked, lots of those midrises in the West Loop lack ground floor retail whatsoever

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 9:56 PM

Homewood Hilton - 1101 S Wabash

June 15

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 11:31 PM
Urbane observer

For some reason, there's one window with ordinary clear glass:

harryc's photo

Undoubtedly it's on somebody's punchlist, but I keep trying to figure out how that happened. Did a window assembly leave the factory with the wrong glass? Was it broken in transit and the contractor just went to the hardware store and bought a replacement pane?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 11:43 PM
Plenary pleasures.

edit

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 11:47 PM

172 Ada

June 15

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
For some reason, there's one window with ordinary clear glass:

harryc's photo

Undoubtedly it's on somebody's punchlist, but I keep trying to figure out how that happened. Did a window assembly leave the factory with the wrong glass? Was it broken in transit and the contractor just went to the hardware store and bought a replacement pane?
It's probably because they accidentally shattered out outer pane with the reflective coatings and not the inner pane. There was one like that on Optima for a while too.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Well, you are definitely undervaluing the South Loop here. It’s not like it’s Antarctica. It’s also adjacent to many of these same hoods, including the Loop itself. Pilsen, Chinatown, and West Loop is right there.

It has an older building stock that has already been converted, plus don’t forget Motor Row and the stuff going on around McCormick Place.

I see no reason why it couldn’t happen
It can't happen because there are no old school buildings for it to happen in. Motor row is miniscule and spans a mere two blocks while being surrounded on all sides by brownfield wastelands.

Quote:
Or maybe, just maybe, it's because the West Loop's opposition to highrises and embrace of human-scale midrises gave it a character that makes it a pleasant place to live and a profitable place to open a business. More importantly, it discouraged landowners from swinging for the fences on every parcel, from holding out for the kind of money that could only be recovered by demolition for a new $600/sq ft highrise whose owners would recoil in horror at the thought of a restaurant on the ground floor.
Lol, name one midrise in the West Loop with a non-chain restaurant in it's base. You can't, I'd actually challenge you to find one midrise in the West Loop with anything significant non-chain in it.

The midrises built in the West Loop have been generally garbage and almost the entire "scene" in the West Loop is on Randolph and Fulton, away from the original crop of West Loop new construction. Why is that?

Because the genuine character and availability of space in the North Half of the West Loop is entirely different and better than of the rest of the neighborhood. There is no strip of buildings anything like Randolph or Fulton anywhere in the South Loop. And no Motor row, 2+ miles south of downtown doesn't cut it. It's two blocks long and on the edge of the neighborhood. The West Loop is the way it is for the same reason Division in Wicker, Milwaukee Ave, Clark Street, Armitage in Lincoln Park, etc etc are the way they are: the bones are fertile soil for lively a lively retail street. The South Loop is bombed out by comparison and that has nothing to do with high-rises.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 12:35 AM

176 N Halsted

June 13

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 12:42 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
It can't happen because there are no old school buildings for it to happen in. Motor row is miniscule and spans a mere two blocks while being surrounded on all sides by brownfield wastelands.

Lol, name one midrise in the West Loop with a non-chain restaurant in it's base. You can't, I'd actually challenge you to find one midrise in the West Loop with anything significant non-chain in it.

The midrises built in the West Loop have been generally garbage and almost the entire "scene" in the West Loop is on Randolph and Fulton, away from the original crop of West Loop new construction. Why is that?

Because the genuine character and availability of space in the North Half of the West Loop is entirely different and better than of the rest of the neighborhood. There is no strip of buildings anything like Randolph or Fulton anywhere in the South Loop. And no Motor row, 2+ miles south of downtown doesn't cut it. It's two blocks long and on the edge of the neighborhood. The West Loop is the way it is for the same reason Division in Wicker, Milwaukee Ave, Clark Street, Armitage in Lincoln Park, etc etc are the way they are: the bones are fertile soil for lively a lively retail street. The South Loop is bombed out by comparison and that has nothing to do with high-rises.
Sorry, but I really don’t accept your reasoning. The Mag Mile is the greatest shopping strip in the US interior despite having virtually no vintage building stock.

I think the reason for the West Loop’s boom is much more multifactorial than you are even beginning to address.

The South Loop has reasons why it doesn’t have a genuine shopping strip, but I don’t think the lack of “old buildings” is the most important factor, although I’ll grant that this factor may be a contributor.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 1:09 AM

I rate that glass.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but I really don’t accept your reasoning. The Mag Mile is the greatest shopping strip in the US interior despite having virtually no vintage building stock.

I think the reason for the West Loop’s boom is much more multifactorial than you are even beginning to address.

The South Loop has reasons why it doesn’t have a genuine shopping strip, but I don’t think the lack of “old buildings” is the most important factor, although I’ll grant that this factor may be a contributor.
First of all, I never said it's only because there's not old buildings, I cited multiple reasons. But the lack of an intact tract of old buildings is one reason that it will never happen. There isn't a single retail strip in the city that has been built from scratch or mostly from scratch since about 1970 (before WWII if you don't count the weird googie belt districts on the fringes of the city that were built in the old urban style with modern design). It just isn't a thing that happens.

Second of all, are you seriously suggesting that the Mag Mile is an analogue in even the fainest respect for what is going on in the West Loop? That's one of the sillier things I've heard on here for a while. Michigan Ave may not have much vintage stock left, but it has been a retail strip for a century. There is a reason why there isn't any vintage stuff left and it's called big box Marquee retail doesn't like or want vintage buildings because their stores don't fit in them. So many of the older buildings there have bit the dust in favor of modern efficient retail space because you can chrage $250/SF on Boule Mich.

That's got literally zero to do with the South Loop or West Loop. Certainly you don't think that Michigan Ave was pioneered by creative types as was the process I described in the West Loop? Remember when I said that the people who end up creating, working at, and facilitating the types of businesses you see in the West Loop need huge, cheap spaces to attract them?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 1:31 AM

Nobu Hotel

June 13

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 1:57 AM

Quote:

multifactorial
Triple Word Score!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 1:57 AM

It's really good to see Nobu make progress. Then you realize this thing is only going to be 10 floors up and it's probably going to top off in a month or two if everything keeps going LOL. It'll be good to see that one completed.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:18 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
find one midrise in the West Loop with anything significant non-chain in it.
Wait, attracting well-advised creditworthy lessees is now evidence that a retail area is a failure?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Wait, attracting well-advised creditworthy lessees is now evidence that a retail area is a failure?
Yes because I was arguing the West Loop is a failure...

No you claim that midrises instead of high rises caused the West Loop food scene to boom. None of the West Loop food scene (or arts scene) is located in said midrises. Therefore you are wrong. The South Loop also has plenty of credit tenants, so I take it you are arguing that credit AAA chain tenants are causing a massive street life renaissance in the South Loop too? I know I always am about to have a rukus night out on the town when I see a Potbellys!

Also, the midrises you love jerking off to are all total dirt, absolute garbage from an urban planning perspective. Most of them have giant blank walls on the lower floors for huge parking garages and don't have retail at all, yet you claim they are somehow the reason for the West Loop's success. Absolute tripe you are spouting today.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 2:47 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Certainly you don't think that Michigan Ave was pioneered by creative types as was the process I described in the West Loop? Remember when I said that the people who end up creating, working at, and facilitating the types of businesses you see in the West Loop need huge, cheap spaces to attract them?
I mean, Tower Town...

The tone of this Tribune article is a little hysterical, certainly bohemianism did not die in Chicago in the 1980s lol although it shifted more towards music and the arts and away from revolutionary politics. But a good history nonetheless, and shows how the creative class of the 1910s and 20s fueled the rise of the so-called "carriage trade" on Michigan Avenue before Arthur Rubloff invented the Mag Mile concept, the rest is history.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...russell-jacoby

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i moved union station community meeting news to the union station thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=224752&page=7

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 7:52 PM

Tower crane going up @ 145 s. Wells

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:59 PM

1201 W Lake

June 15

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations