HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:38 AM

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 9:52 PM

Day 1:

Sources:https://twitter.com/DartmouthXing/st...29628575993856

https://twitter.com/Lisette_Cormier/...35116197892096

I checked it out, and the parking is working well with a "Disneyworld" style parking operation. They have parking people with lighted wands directing people into lanes with empty spaces.

Last edited by q12; Sep 28, 2017 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 1:18 PM

Now that Halifax is open, and ground is broken on QC, it feels like Ikea will soon be making another announcement for the third store. Any guesses as to where it will be?

I'll start the ball rolling. I'm going with London- an upgrade to full-size like Quebec.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Now that Halifax is open, and ground is broken on QC, it feels like Ikea will soon be making another announcement for the third store. Any guesses as to where it will be?

I'll start the ball rolling. I'm going with London- an upgrade to full-size like Quebec.
Your prediction was correct. Apparently a London IKEA has just been announced.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:16 PM

IKEA London will be noticeably smaller at 270,000 sq ft vs IKEA Halifax which is over 330,000 sq ft.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/about_ikea...n_Announcement

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Your prediction was correct. Apparently a London IKEA has just been announced.
Nice. Good for them. I read the presser, wonder if they will keep the small store open? They closed the collection point (or rather relocated to the store) in Halifax. Collection points aren't the same as Pickup and Order Ikeas though, they are not owned by Ikea and are ususlly just a hold desk at a local courier.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:39 PM

Here is a render of what the smaller IKEA store in London will look like:

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...650586183.html

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 1:40 PM

I think the smaller store for London makes sense. I am guessing the Halifax IKEA will be the only store in the Maritimes, so the Halifax store is a draw for that entire region. London will draw from cities like Windsor, Sarnia, Woodstock, Stratford, etc. but there is an IKEA in Burlington, which is 1.5 hours away.

Either way, it's great news for London. I just think how many major U.S. cities don't have an IKEA so happy for little London to get one.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
I think the smaller store for London makes sense. I am guessing the Halifax IKEA will be the only store in the Maritimes, so the Halifax store is a draw for that entire region. London will draw from cities like Windsor, Sarnia, Woodstock, Stratford, etc. but there is an IKEA in Burlington, which is 1.5 hours away.

Either way, it's great news for London. I just think how many major U.S. cities don't have an IKEA so happy for little London to get one.
There's also a big IKEA store right across the border in Metro Detroit, which will cut down on the number of people from Windor and Essex County that will drive all the way to London.
I doubt Windsor will get a stand alone store now that we have our own pick and order store, as well as two full sized stores so close to us, even though we have over 400,000 people in Windsor and Essex County!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post

Well, London isn't that little, it's CMA being 100K greater than Halifax. But in fairness, Halifax is a regional centre for 3, maybe 4 provinces, whereas London is a local hub in SW Ontario. London's population is a function of the density surrounding that entire area and less a function of the city's regional importance.

Now that 2 of the 3 IKEA superstores have been selected from cities that had Pickup and Orders, it'll be interesting to see where IKEA goes forward.

Halifax is arguably an outlier. The decision to open in Halifax I believe is based on the older corporate model when they opened Winnipeg. There has been talk that IKEA had settled on opening Winnipeg and then Halifax, but only had time to do Winnipeg before their strategic growth change took place. As the market research was already done, Halifax store plans naturally transitioned to be the first of the new growth plan. If so, that means that 2 of 2 "new" full-sized stores have been positioned in Pickup and Order cities.

Where am I going with this? Well, I wonder now if the next spate of stores will be upgrades to other cities that IKEA have market tested Pickup and Order points. Those that are successful in terms of sales at least. Perhaps these small stores with their "temporary" vibe are market research for places that IKEA is exploring expansion. As I stated above, the decision to open in Halifax had likely been made long ago, research had already been conducted, and therefore they didn't need to open a temporary location to test market. Initially I wondered why IKEA didn't open a Pickup and Order Point here when they announced a full-size store, only a Collection Point. This is a plausible answer.

If so, this could mean a large number of full-sized stores may be opening in Ontario over the next few years.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 2:35 PM

Correct if I am wrong, but wasn't there an IKEA in the late 70's/ early 80's? I recall my father bringing home a small table from one of his business trips from Halifax. I realize Ikea's business model has likely changed and Halifax is much larger. That said, If there was such a store, does anyone recall why it closed?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Correct if I am wrong, but wasn't there an IKEA in the late 70's/ early 80's? I recall my father bringing home a small table from one of his business trips from Halifax. I realize Ikea's business model has likely changed and Halifax is much larger. That said, If there was such a store, does anyone recall why it closed?
Indeed. In fact Halifax, Dartmouth to be specific (it was a separate municipality back then), had the first IKEA in North America. It opened in 1975 and closed in 88. IKEA was transitioning to larger format stores and said Halifax didn't have the population to sustain the required sales. NS legislation against Sunday and Holiday opening also played a role in their departure, IIRC.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 9:21 PM

IKEA Halifax from a Westjet plane:

Source Twitter:
https://twitter.com/jrhinelander/sta...03621498703873

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 6:03 PM

That reminds me - I don't think I've ever landed in a European city without spotting an IKEA from the air.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
That reminds me - I don't think I've ever landed in a European city without spotting an IKEA from the air.
Not just Europe - they are often near airports on N.A. as well. No surprise as airports are usually near large tracts of land that Ikea needs for their massive stores. Too bad our airport wasn't built closer to the city.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 3:43 PM

Note for administration. This thread should be changed from U/C to Completed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs