HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 6:22 PM
See ya down under, mates

Stop paying attention any time anyone blames something on George Soros.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 5:00 AM
Rational urbanist

...In case it wasn't obvious, I was being sarcastic. The George Soros reference was specifically included to remove any doubt, but I suppose I'll have to be even more direct next time around.

I actually actively volunteer in cycling advocacy myself. Frankly I'm flattered people think we bribe politicians, when money is actually a constant struggle.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I actually actively volunteer in cycling advocacy myself. Frankly I'm flattered people think we bribe politicians, when money is actually a constant struggle.
Unfortunately, money to bribe politicians often seems to be easier to come by than money to actually build things.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 5:40 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Frankly I'm flattered people think we bribe politicians, when money is actually a constant struggle.
I'll eat my shirt if it is proven that Robertson and Vision aren't a bunch of sockpuppets.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 5:43 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
...In case it wasn't obvious, I was being sarcastic. The George Soros reference was specifically included to remove any doubt, but I suppose I'll have to be even more direct next time around.
Yeah there are way too many people who seriously believe those conspiracy theories unfortunately. It did seem out of character for you.

Although I also believe Robertson and Vision are two-faced, hypocritical and corrupt.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 6:18 AM

This has been discussed to death but just another rant. Why not. Seeing it from the Skytrain gives it some perspective today at 4 pm. The traffic on 17 eastbound was backed up well past the Tannery Road interchange. Of course, we all know it was because of those damn lights at Old Yale. Obviously, we know how cheap the government is when they build roads and they never learn their lesson, but why the fuck they decided to have that light there when that interchange is so close. Like seriously who approved that and why?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 2:08 AM

Have these been posted?

Revised lane configuration at Alex Fraser Bridge:

Quote:
Lane Configuration

The additional lane and new moveable barrier will allow for four lanes northbound and three lanes southbound
during the morning rush hour. Four lanes southbound and three lanes northbound will be open at all other times.

The seventh lane will be added by reconfiguring the six existing lanes and removing the shoulders.
The speed limit will be reduced from 90 to 70 kilometres per hour to accommodate the additional lane.
Cyclist and pedestrian access is not affected.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...-bridge/design

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 8:10 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Unfortunately, money to bribe politicians often seems to be easier to come by than money to actually build things.
Well whether you agree with it or not, there are lots of people who support cycling, even at the expense of car infrastructure. I'm not sure why it would be so surprising that there are politicians that feel the same way without being bribed.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Well whether you agree with it or not, there are lots of people who support cycling, even at the expense of car infrastructure. I'm not sure why it would be so surprising that there are politicians that feel the same way without being bribed.
I'm not sure what relationship there is between being against politicians for sale and being pro or anti cycling, but for the record I'm in favour of a balanced approach to transportation policy - one that doesn't unfairly prioritize any one mode above the others.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 1:45 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
I'm not sure what relationship there is between being against politicians for sale and being pro or anti cycling, but for the record I'm in favour of a balanced approach to transportation policy - one that doesn't unfairly prioritize any one mode above the others.
I interpreted your comment as saying that politicians actually do receive cycling "lobby" bribes, and I was saying that I doubt it. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 6:32 AM

Quote:
I interpreted your comment as saying that politicians actually do receive cycling "lobby" bribes, and I was saying that I doubt it. Sorry if I misunderstood you.
No worries! My comment wasn't mean to be specific, it was more of a general misgiving about the state of affairs in the world today.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 7:49 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...gacy-1.4424349

tragic. let's hope she gets a nice fat settlement. that road does suck along with many others in metro vancouver as we all know.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Indeed...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 5:53 AM

The only real scary part about that road is the lack of lights.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 8:01 PM

How nixing a downtown freeway 50 years ago made Vancouver one of the world's most liveable cities

Quote:
By Maryse Zeidler,

Fifty years ago this month, Vancouver city council voted against building a freeway through Chinatown, Gastown and Downtown Vancouver.

"I often refer to it as the most important decision Vancouver ever made from a city building perspective," said urban planning consultant Brent Toderian. The route would have razed some of the poorest neighbourhoods as part of a national strategy. It also would have completely altered the city's mountain views and cut off the waterfront...

Another theory posited in a master's thesis written by Ken MacKenzie, an SFU History student, is that Metro Vancouver didn't build a freeway because it "lacked the administrative, technical and financial resources to achieve such a goal."

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 8:06 PM
SkyTrain Nut

I mean, they aren't wrong. The original plan was pretty ambitious.
Still however, even just a single hardened route to Highway 1 (four lanes with counterflow?) would of been nice.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
The only real scary part about that road is the lack of lights.
It strikes me that many stretches of road in Metro are poorly lit, or underlit.
I notice the difference when I go to Toronto, Montreal, or Seattle.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I mean, they aren't wrong. The original plan was pretty ambitious.
Still however, even just a single hardened route to Highway 1 (four lanes with counterflow?) would of been nice.
i agree, the original plan would have been a bad idea cutting though Chinatown, Gastown, and the waterfront. although the 2nd plan had some better ideas which came about with using the Grandview Cut to get to the TransCanada #1. it was envisioned as 6 lanes with 2 rail tracks in between, depressed below road grade. when they built the Millennium Line they could have built over those tracks/freeway.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 9:17 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...2017-1.4429266

I honestly think that there is not gonna be a traffic solution by the end of the decade because of the environmentalist/"going green" mindset the province now has, especially with the current prov gov in power. They have the idea that if you keep traffic terrible, people will stop driving and ride a bike or use transit. That doesn't help people who do deliveries and big families with a lot of young kids and people working in trades. Bikes and transit is simply not an option.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 4:18 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Is there hope for a North Shore transportation solution anytime soon?
'Every single business is impacted by the delays,' says CEO of North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce

It's a general rule of thumb that in the Lower Mainland, affordability is the number one issue, no matter where you live.

Not so on the North Shore.

Traffic in the region is so bad that when a recent study highlighted eight congestion hot spots in Metro Vancouver, one of them was "Travel to, from and around the North Shore — in every direction."

There are signs the provincial government may be looking at taking action. On Friday, there was a meeting of the region's local, provincial and federal politicians to discuss the best way forward.

But at this point, that's all it is — low-level discussions.

"We're trying to do work to find out what's really going on with the traffic, what's causing that, and we want to address solutions in a proper way," said City of North Vancouver Mayor Darrell Mussatto, who said the meeting was initiated by North Vancouver-Lonsdale MLA Bowinn Ma.

"How do we resolve the bottleneck at the bridges? How do we make it easier for people to come to and from the North Shore, and how do we allow people to commute along the North Shore east and west?"

But because of the provincial government and TransLink's stated priorities, those questions may continue to be asked, with no solution in sight, for years to come.

Economic impact

The daily region-wide traffic jam isn't just aggravating to people stuck on the highway — it's a drain on businesses.

"Every single business is impacted by the delays," said Patrick Stafford-Smith, CEO of the North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce.

"You pretty much build it into any appointment, and people make adjustments based on that."

The organization hosted a forum on Wednesday discussing the issue, with much of the focus on the growing number of commuters crossing the Lions Gate and Second Narrows bridges.

Mussatto noted the number of North Shore residents crossing the bridges to go to work hasn't changed much in the last decade.

Traffic flow changes

What has changed, he says, is the number of non-North Shore residents coming to the region for work and leaving in the afternoon.

"The numbers that are leaving the North Shore to go to work are very similar to what they were ten years ago. The big change is there's more people commuting to work and then leaving in the afternoon," said Mussatto.

New figures from the 2016 Census bear that out. In total, 22,295 people said they worked on the North Shore, but lived in a Metro Vancouver municipality that required crossing the Burrard Inlet.

That's up 20 per cent from a decade ago. Plus, there are nearly 35,000 North Shore residents commuting to jobs on the south side of the Burrard Inlet.

It's just enough to push an aging infrastructure grid — the number of bridge lanes linking the region to the rest of Metro Vancouver hasn't changed in over 50 years — into gridlock on most afternoons.

Adding to the complexity is many of the workers coming to the North Shore are working on construction sites for renovated homes or new developments, which have end dates for completion. Focusing improvements exclusively on public transit might not be the best solution.

"I'm personally a big fan of public transit ... but I want to make sure that you don't spend a tremendous amount of money and find out it's not being used," said Mussatto.

Other projects come first

The growing frustration is linked to the growing megaproject proposals coming from politicians in the region: Mussatto has suggested a SkyTrain tunnel to North Vancouver, while MLA Jane Thornthwaite has suggested a SkyTrain extending west to east along the North Shore.

But while transportation may be the number one issue on the North Shore, the North Shore is far from the number one priority for decision makers.

TransLink is committed to the Mayors' Council 10-year plan, which focuses on a new Pattullo Bridge, extending rapid transit lines in Vancouver and Surrey, and creating a new rapid transit line to Langley. And the provincial government's focus is on a Massey Tunnel replacement.

If you're an optimist, you could point that more talking is happening around North Shore transportation than ever before.

If you're a pessimist? It's still just talk.
http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4429266

Map of where north shore workers live:

MLA Thornwaite's skytrain proposal:

Age of infrastructure relative to the rest of the metro:

Just beating a dead horse...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure