HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 1:51 AM
BANNED

Old Station, La Canasta, Jack in th Box, and Oaxaca are all in walking distance. I'm sure there are more.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 1:54 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
Old Station, La Canasta, Jack in th Box, and Oaxaca are all in walking distance. I'm sure there are more.
when you work a 9-5, M-F job, those few options get old quick. Plus most of the Mall isnt shady enough or pedestrian friendly enough for many people to walk even normal walking distances to those places.

Food trucks that don't take much start up cost, have low overhead and thus can afford to be lunchtime only, and can change their menu more quickly are a perfect match for the current demographic of the Capitol Mall.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 1:57 AM
BANNED

Maybe im weird but i could eat old station damn near every day

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 2:30 AM

What is this Old Station?

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 3:18 AM
BANNED

It is a sub shop. Nothi g really interesting or innovative but i love it.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 12:50 AM

So as most folks probably know the Arizona Mining and Mineral Museum has shut down and is being converted to the Arizona Experience Museum for the Centennial. I've heard great things about the Mining & Mineral Museum but never been, hopefully it can reopen in a town like Bisbee, Globe, or wherever that has a strong mining history and can really feature it. As is, I'm glad a museum which will likely have a lot more visitors is taking its place and will let more people see that nice building.

Here's an article about it on the Centennial website, and here are some nice renderings:

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 1:08 AM
BANNED

I experience Arizona every day. I don't need to go to a museum to do that. To me, it's like having a museum called Hot Weather Museum. I'm sure many locals will have this attitude.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
I experience Arizona every day. I don't need to go to a museum to do that. To me, it's like having a museum called Hot Weather Museum. I'm sure many locals will have this attitude.
Wow, what an aggressively ignorant and stupid post.

Its in part a history museum, in a State that too often forgets where it came from, we can't have enough of these. Most State Capitol Mall areas are big tourists destinations, museums like this (as well as improved pedestrian areas and a more beautiful capital mall) will help make ours a destination too.

If any locals have that attitude they're likely the same mouth breathers from the Az Central comments section.

E: VV Sorry I didn't pick up on that. Hard to get tone online sometimes

Last edited by HooverDam; May 20, 2011 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 1:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
If any locals have that attitude they're likely the same mouth breathers from the Az Central comments section.
oddly, when I was writing that statement, those are the people I was pretending to be!

For the record, if you re-read my post, it should be somewhat clear when I say "I'm sure many locals will have this attitude" that it isn't my attitude.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Arizona eyes move of WWII-era ship guns

Display would mark Pearl Harbor attack

30 comments by Emily Holden - Aug. 3, 2011 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Arizona has big plans in the works to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7 - so big they have to be brought in by train.

The U.S. Navy has granted Secretary of State Ken Bennett permission to indefinitely house two World War II warship guns - weighing 70 and 140 tons - in front of the state Capitol. Bennett will soon begin trying to raise up to $500,000 in private funds to transport the two guns from Virginia and Maryland, clean them up and display them.

The state has official memorials at the Capitol for every war except World War II, Bennett said.

Arizona does have two large items from the war already on display at the Capitol: the anchor and signal mast from the USS Arizona, the ship that symbolizes America's entry into World War II. The USS Arizona sank during Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor, killing more than a thousand people. But they are not part of an official memorial.

Now, Bennett wants to import the last unclaimed gun from the ship.

Bennett originally wanted just the one gun, but military officials were hesitant to give him the last USS Arizona gun. Instead, they offered him a 68-foot gun from the USS Missouri, the ship that was the site of the Japanese surrender that ended World War II.

"We thought about it ... and I said, 'Forget this,' " Bennett said. " 'This is Arizona.' "

So Bennett came back with a new offer to take both guns and position them around the items the state already has from the USS Arizona, as bookends representing the beginning and end of the war.

That plan sold the deal.

The Legislature still must approve the placement of the guns in the Capitol Mall, said Matt Roberts, spokesman for the Secretary of State's Office.

Bennett is still working out some details.

He'll need to hire a crane company to load the guns for transport from their current homes: the USS Arizona gun from Virginia and the USS Missouri gun from Maryland. Then he'll likely need to ship them by rail because licenses to carry heavy loads across 2,000 miles of different states would be costly.

He has asked the Arizona National Guard and state Department of Corrections to help with the cleanup process; the guns have been sitting around rusting for decades.

Finally, Bennett wants to build display bases for the guns, but he's not sure those will be done by Dec. 7.

"We're trying to do something in four to five months that normally takes four to five years," Bennett said.

But even before any of that work begins, Bennett needs to raise money to fund it. He said he's considering corporate sponsorships, but he wants individuals and families to make donations to honor loved ones.

To generate interest in the memorial once it's built, he wants to place markers around the Valley indicating how far bullets from the guns could travel - the Arizona gun shoots its 14-inch shells about 12 miles and the Missouri gun shoots its 16-inch ones about 20 miles, Bennett said.

Bennett admits caring for war memorials isn't in his official job description, "unless these guns want to vote or something." But he's been a "history nut" since childhood. He obsessed over a middle-school assignment he wrote about World War II. He said he loved it, even though he got an A-.

Bennett said he can't take all the credit for the memorial idea. John Thomas, another "history nut" who was previously chief attorney for the House, saw an article about war guns that didn't have homes at least 10 years ago. Unable to bear the idea that some of these historical guns might be sold for scrap metal, Thomas suggested bringing them to the Arizona State Capitol Museum. But nothing came of it until he brought it up again this year.

Thomas called Bennett's office because the secretary of state oversees the museum, a branch of the State Library, Archives and Public Records.

"It just seemed wrong to have that (gun) barrel sitting in a naval shipyard," Thomas said. "It seemed right to have it in Arizona."

Thomas said people won't be able to understand what time period the guns hail from until they see them up close.

"Battleships are a bygone era," Thomas said. "It's different than when you just see something on a piece of paper. You can touch it. You can see it. You can imagine."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz1Tzdz9zxL
Well its pretty cool to get the USS Arizona gun and have the Missouri gun as sort of a thrown in. Sounds like this will nicely help fill out the Capitol Mall which has always been underwhelming, memorial wise.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 9:17 AM

^ That would be nice. Perhaps they can put the battleship guns on the backs of illegals that have been detained and have them carry them to Phoenix.

I keed...I keed...

--don

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 10:02 PM

This is how the Arizona Centennial plates will look like!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 12:41 PM
Skyriser

One of AZ's best plates, for sure, but too bad they'll still be in that awful ugly license plate font on that cheap plastic crap. I hate seeing that typographical abomination, and I hate that so many states are using whatever forsaken contractor it is that makes them. It's baffling that something so pervasive could be so wretched, and the person that designed it needs to be run over. Meh. My embossed metal goodness will follow me till the day I die.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 5:02 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 8:07 PM
E pluribus unum

I like it (I'm also a huge fan of New Mexico's). I'm tempted to either get the Centennial plate or an NAU plate: Which should I waste my money on?

I think 3M is responsible for the movement away from embossed plates. Anyone else notice that the paint starts to fade away after a period of time on the older embossed plates?

Last edited by Buckeye Native 001; Oct 28, 2011 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:29 PM

From Arizona Centennial Facebook Page

Centennial Commemorative Stamp designed by Arizona native Ed Mell depicting Cathedral Rock in Sedona

Centennial Way Project

Arizona Centennial Copper Ale from Sonoran Brewing Company in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 12:31 AM

^What sort of trees are they putting in along Washington? I was thinking it was going to be some variant of Palo Verde, being the State Tree and all...those clearly are something else.

I also note there's no ground cover, flowers, cacti, succulents or anything else near the base of the new trees, I hope that changes. Planting a nice bed of gold lantana costs so little and looks worlds better than horrid crushed rock.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
^What sort of trees are they putting in along Washington? I was thinking it was going to be some variant of Palo Verde, being the State Tree and all...those clearly are something else.

I also note there's no ground cover, flowers, cacti, succulents or anything else near the base of the new trees, I hope that changes. Planting a nice bed of gold lantana costs so little and looks worlds better than horrid crushed rock.
I'll take a look tomorrow and try to get some pics.

They have planted new Sissos along Monroe and have been replacing the stones. It's starting to look better. Now if only they could get rid of all the terrible brutalist style buildings (one of which I work in ).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I'll take a look tomorrow and try to get some pics.
I also wonder if they're planting the same trees on the North and South side of the street to give it a consistent look.

I do wish they would've gone with Desert Museum Palo Verde's planted in a double row. They're not the shadiest tree in the world, but they're not bad, especially planted in doubles. They look gorgeous in the spring when they're leaves explode that golden color and it would've made for a dramatic view looking down towards the Capitol. Plus again, it is the State Tree...really seems like that would've made sense, but what do I know.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 5:18 PM
BANNED

ummm. I will rarely be that guy, but how much is this costing?

what a pathetic, weak, excuse for a Centennial project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest