HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Trump Tower Philadelphia in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 6:46 PM

i`d hate to say it, but i think that this project is dead.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 7:43 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Um, no duh.

Now that it is, I would point there were a few good things about it, namely, that it was well-massed in relation to WFS and would bring the skyline the latter established closer to Center City, and that it went right up to the street. WFS is a random suburban Floridian condo development plonked right down in the middle of Northern Liberties and the only thing that would make it more bearable is to surround it with similar--but more urbane--skyscrapers. Unfortunately, the developers of these sorts of skyscrapers usually need amenities around the site, but the totality of these skyscrapers' plans would eventually provide these amenities at the feet of the skyscrapers themselves.

Bringing the building up to the street is just an obvious thing, but it would be useless without interesting retail to look at (although the narrow street frontage at Trump's site allows it an exception to this rule).

Building it, in my opinion, is tolerable only in relation to the WFS development.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 7:47 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Last edited by hammersklavier; Nov 12, 2008 at 9:01 PM. Reason: double post!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 9:13 PM
My CAT digs.

Trump postpones Philadelphia development

In case you didn't see this post on Philly VII:

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Got Five View Post
Trump postpones Philadelphia development
By Suzette Parmley

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Developer Donald J. Trump has postponed construction of his $300 million Trump Tower Philadelphia project because of tightening market conditions.

The 45-story, 263-unit tower is proposed for Penn Street near the foot of Spring Garden Street. Construction had been previously delayed because Trump needed riparian rights - or underwater development rights - from the city.

Now the credit crisis and crumbling economy are further stalling the project, where units were to start at $700,000.

"With the current market conditions as they are, we have decided to continue construction in a more favorable environment," said Trump's daughter, Ivanka Trump, who is executive vice president of development and acquisitions for The Trump Organization in New York, which handles Trump's real estate ventures.

Trump had originally projected Trump Tower Philadelphia to be completed by the middle of this year. He spent more than a year acquiring permits and building rights from the city. Then the real estate market tanked.

This follows Trump's building problems in other major cities where he has similar luxury condo hotel towers going up, including Chicago, Miami and Las Vegas.

The credit crisis has affected the availability of financing for such projects, and buyers have become much more cautious.

Ivanka Trump declined to say when construction would proceed on the Philadelphia project, but she said today: "We are committed to this project, want to build the best one possible, and will continue construction when the market allows us to do so."

In Center City, Trump is competing against a slew of other high-end residential projects, including 1706 Rittenhouse, where 31 units start at $4 million.

Real estate broker and developer Allan Domb, the so-called "Condo King of Philadelphia," said Trump's waterfront location was not a slam dunk.

"I've always thought a Trump Tower property should be located in and around Rittenhouse Square," he said today.

"The waterfront area has still not developed the amenities that luxury condo dwellers seek, such as the ability to walk to restaurants, supermarkets, coffee shops," Domb said. "That location is not a walkable location unless you're a marathoner."

According to the Center City District, projected new housing units scheduled for construction this year in an eight zip code areas between the Schuylkill and Delaware Rivers and from Girard Avenue to Tasker Street was 1,933 units. Of that, 330 units are rentals, and the rest - 1,603 units - are condos and single-family homes.

Since Trump first announced his Philadelphia project in January 2006 that was to include landscaped gardens and a high-end spa, Ivanka Trump said it had received "a substantial response internationally." She said today in a statement that "a significant number of reservations for units had been taken," but she declined to say how many of the 263 units had been sold.

Figures show that sales of upscale residential units in Center City have slowed compared with a year ago.

According to the Prudential Fox & Roach HomExpert Report, 94 homes priced $500,000 or more sold in the second quarter of this year, compared with 105 homes in the second quarter of 2007. For the first nine months of this year, 275 homes priced $500,000 or more sold, compared with 299 homes in the same period of 2007.

Steve Storti, senior vice president of marketing for Prudential Fox & Roach Inc., said there were a number of factors for the decrease.

He said in the previous cycle, from 2003 to 2006, potential Center City condo buyers felt obliged to find a new home before selling an existing home in the suburbs, because they assumed the suburban house would sell quickly.

"What's happening now is you don't want to own two homes for a prolonged period of time," Storti said. "It's a stall on the marketplace that didn't exist a couple of years ago."

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 4:29 PM

I didn't think that project would ever get off the ground anyway. With all of their "breaking ground" announcements BEFORE even opening a sales center...it was just typical smoke and mirror marketing BS. In order to maximize the upsell, snob-appeal benefits of the Trump name anwyay, you would think a more premium location would have been the logical choice. Trump Rittenhouse, Trump Parkway or Trump Washington Square make more sense...not Trump Philadelphia...on the fare EDGE of Philadelphia!!!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 6:28 PM
Baryonic Lord

Hrm... Im sure something snazzier could be dreamed up.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 7:23 PM

I guess nothing is going to happen with this tower.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 4:32 PM
Western Suburbs

Officially put "on-hold" until further notice. I think we'll see this resurface again but not in it's current location. This project belongs somewhere near Rittenhouse or Washington Square. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see something new churned up by the beloved DT in the next 2-3 years.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 5:05 AM
Hopeful Graduate

It didnt look all that nice anyways.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 4:44 PM

This is my first time ever checking this thread, because I live in Salt Lake, and I was interested in seeing how this project was doing (as soon as I saw it for the first time). So I'm glad to see on the last page that it's dead, so I don't have to wonder too much. =D

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive