HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 3:24 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pence View Post

Those are some sweet motors you have there. They definitely need to get out and breath. Cant wait to see what you get with them.

My Book

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:44 PM

I dropped my Tokina 12-24. It landed on the mount, cracked some plastic around the CPU contacts and bent the flange on the metal mount. Initially it wouldn't mount (too tight), but I was able to straighten the mounting flange with pliers and it now mounts with a bit of force. A quick test shows that it still works (at least at a glance, there could be issues if I look closer), but it wrecks my plan to sell it in excellent condition and get the Tokina 11-16.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:14 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I dropped my Tokina 12-24. It landed on the mount, cracked some plastic around the CPU contacts and bent the flange on the metal mount. Initially it wouldn't mount (too tight), but I was able to straighten the mounting flange with pliers and it now mounts with a bit of force. A quick test shows that it still works (at least at a glance, there could be issues if I look closer), but it wrecks my plan to sell it in excellent condition and get the Tokina 11-16.

Sorry to hear that, flar!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 11:37 PM
So very tired...

That sucks flar. I've been lucky and not dropped any equipment yet...

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:25 PM
3rd Coast King

Oh no! My son dropped my camera with a 50mm mounted to it one day. luckily it he is short and it did not fall far and cause any damage. Scared the crap out of me though. Both me and my wife gasped when we saw it happen.

On lighter new I got my new Sony a580 in the mail. Pretty sweet little upgrade. Should have some pics soon. Still have to install the new drivers. The a580 is the first dslr I have had with live view and I feel a bit spoiled.

My Book

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 7:39 PM
3rd Coast King

a580 by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 8:23 AM
恭喜发财!

Just picked up a new Tamron 70-300 VC and got my Nifty 50 Mark I (50mm f1.8) repaired today. Now my EF-S 15-85 has company on my 7D.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 2:10 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Finally got myself a nice wireless remote shutter control. Will be so nice being able to take long-exposure shots beyond 30 seconds, not to mention take multiple exposures for things like time-lapse photography and other things!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 2:46 AM
tilted & shifted

Those are good for star trails as well.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 5:55 PM
3rd Coast King

I need to get me a remote trigger. Those things are really handy.

How is the macro coming along?

My Book

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 6:03 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Just picked up a new Tamron 70-300 VC and got my Nifty 50 Mark I (50mm f1.8) repaired today. Now my EF-S 15-85 has company on my 7D.
Its good to have zoom. A fifty is really handy too. I have a couple of them. Old m42 prime lenses are a nice way to go. You just need a little cheapy adaptor that costs like $2. I have the old yashinon that's in the picture above and a old mamiya/sekor 55mm f1.4. I really like that one a lot.

Really cheap! One is on ebay for like $26 right now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTO-MAMIYA-...item1c273a2ba2

My Book

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 8:38 PM
So very tired...

Picked up the Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8D for dirt from a friend. It has a hard-infinity focus stop which makes it good for shooting star-trails etc when you have to fumble around in the dark. It will also be my only full-frame wide angle for when I get the D800, until I save up for the 17-35 2.8. Apropos, I was informed I am now second in line for the D800, so I am hoping it will come in this week so I can put it through the paces next weekend.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:38 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Soooo... here I am sitting on a tour bus in the middle of China and my 50D stops working with an "Err 50" popping up (shutter failure)! Sonuvabitch!

Was stuck using a point n' shoot for 5 days of my vacation until I got back to Hong Kong and was forced to buy a 60D.

I don't need or want a 5D or 7D so I just picked up the newer model of what I already had. Thankfully, the price wasn't too bad. But man, that sucked big balls!

Flickr®

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 2:34 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Picked up the Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8D for dirt from a friend. It has a hard-infinity focus stop which makes it good for shooting star-trails etc when you have to fumble around in the dark. It will also be my only full-frame wide angle for when I get the D800, until I save up for the 17-35 2.8. Apropos, I was informed I am now second in line for the D800, so I am hoping it will come in this week so I can put it through the paces next weekend.
For you I would definitely say you should save and get he 14-24mm f2.8 and not the 17-35. You really utilize that wide angle in proper ways and the 14 would give you almost an extra 2mm on the wide end. Dont cheap out on yourself. I know it would cost a lot more but we are also talking about you slapping this on a d800! Its going to be a whole new ballgame for you.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 2:39 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Soooo... here I am sitting on a tour bus in the middle of China and my 50D stops working with an "Err 50" popping up (shutter failure)! Sonuvabitch!

Was stuck using a point n' shoot for 5 days of my vacation until I got back to Hong Kong and was forced to buy a 60D.

I don't need or want a 5D or 7D so I just picked up the newer model of what I already had. Thankfully, the price wasn't too bad. But man, that sucked big balls!
Did you try turning it off and then back on or removing the battery and then turning it back on? I figure you probably did or at least hope you did.

But never the less, congrats on your new toy. Ive heard lots of good things about the 60d. Sounds like a pretty solid camera.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 2:54 PM

There are a few downsides to the 14-24 compared to the 17-35: heavier, more expensive, giant exposed front element, no filters, zoom range is from ultra-ultra wide to ultra wide (also an advantage). By all accounts, an awesome lens, however. Probably the best ultra wide in existence.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Picked up the Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8D for dirt from a friend. It has a hard-infinity focus stop which makes it good for shooting star-trails etc when you have to fumble around in the dark.
Hard infinity stop is wonderful. You don't see it much on modern lenses because the AF mechanism needs a little bit of play at the extremes.

I had to adjust the infinity focus stop on one of my old primes. Surprisingly, considering the amazing build quality of old Nikon glass, the lens barrel was attached to the focus ring by a simple piece of tape! The tape is high quality though, and I was able to reuse it with no problems. Turns out that this is how most Nikon lenses are put together. You will see this if you carefully lift the rubber grip off the focus ring.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 4:29 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
Did you try turning it off and then back on or removing the battery and then turning it back on? I figure you probably did or at least hope you did.

But never the less, congrats on your new toy. Ive heard lots of good things about the 60d. Sounds like a pretty solid camera.
I did everything you could imagine and everything the interwebs suggested.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:23 PM

Nikon might be introducing a game changer later this year: The D600, a full frame camera that could be priced as low as $1500.

That would be sweet, as long as it's not crippled.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 8:11 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Nikon might be introducing a game changer later this year: The D600, a full frame camera that could be priced as low as $1500.

That would be sweet, as long as it's not crippled.
Its probably not going to be up to a standard that would persuade someone of your caliber to purchase it but for other beginners it would be great. Nothing but rumors on this one still but I think it is a good move to offer a entry level full frame.

My Book

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography