HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 5:47 PM

Comcast is an excellent buy right now. The Street is full of morons if they think they can't mitigate the TV losses. This will be a minor blip on the radar, long forgotten shortly.

Also, Verizon is in no state to buy anyone. They lack ALL content. Their cell service has no growth prospects. Their FIOS is bleeding money.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
....... So construction on the lantern is scheduled to start , when .......
When the problem is fixed on the cooling towers, they will do the other section of the cooling towers then the spire, it's unknown when they will start

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:11 PM

Finally got a chance to see the NBC Tower in Chicago up close, and all I kept saying was ...this is the "Art Deco CTC." Lord Norman Foster designed a new Apple store on the Chicago River close by that was inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright and the Prairie School-style. I don't think there's any question that Foster/Comcast had the NBC Tower in mind when finalizing CTC (people mentioned this when the CTC renderings were first released, but after seeing it up close--no doubt about it). Foster seems to like to tip his design-cap to others once in a while with his new works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_Tower

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:52 PM

Architects, much like any other sort of content creator, are always remixing works, both their own and that of others. The NBC Tower was clearly the inspiration for CTC, although they are both very good buildings. They are hard to compare, as CTC is twice the size at least and NBC is very close to some of the world's best skyscrapers.

Hope you enjoyed your trip to Chicago. I certainly enjoyed mine.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170912.html

Comcast lost $16b in Market capitalization in just 3 days after it's latest report talked about losing 100,000 to 150,000 TV subs. It's a dying a business - for your market cap to live and die on it, is truly dangerous - it's only getting worse as more people switch how they consume TV.

In the long-run, they might be better served spinning the TV division off as a totally separate entity - and keeping Comcast as the ISP/Fiber/digital backbone/content creator that they kind of want to be. ISP is their true moneymaker anyways as once the lines are laid it's pure profit.

TV is just not worth it anymore if your company's value takes a massive plunge based solely on TV sub numbers.
I believe that the problem has a lot to do with the constantly escalating cost of cable TV! Although I was able to afford Comcast's Premium service which included 7 HBO channels, 5 Cinemax channels, 5 Showtime channels, and many Spanish speaking channels (please don't ask why, I'm a Spanish buff), when I learned that I could get 1000 channels for less money thru either Direct TV of Dish network, it made spending money with Comcast seem like I was getting fleeced by the company.

I think Comcast is a great cable company and its number one for a lot of reasons, but Comcast is actually a great cable company. It's not an Apple, which transformed itself from being a computer company to a major high tech company, a GM, which makes engines for generators as well as vehicles, and even has a mortgage company named GMAC, a Coca-Cola, which has numerous products, and once owned Columbia Pictures for a brief time, and even a company like Anheuser Busch. It's just the biggest cable company in America!

It's nice, but if the company wants brand name recognition like an AT&T or a Sony, it's going to have to evolve like Apple, or die a slow death like Sears and Kmart. I'm not sure what direction Comcast has in the future, but with many people preferring computers over TV, if Comcast doesn't evolve and compete, it might as well bite the dust like DuPont, a 200-year old company (even though the name still exists).

I don't think the new tower enhances the Philadelphia skyline in a positive manner because although it's the tallest tower, the roof seems slightly lower than the Comcast Center, the spire looks too superfluous, the design is too boxy nor is it elegant, and the amenities are a ripoff of the old ACC.

Speaking of the old ACC, that proposal was the best one Philly ever had and I'm afraid we'll never have that type of proposal during our lifetimes.FMC is fine, and the W Hotel is another great addition to the skyline, but building the ACC wouldn't just mean having a cutting edge tallest tower in Philadelphia, it meant attracting a new company like TD Bank, Black Rock, or better yet, GE!!! I'm not sure whether Phila is generating new businesses like it did from last decade, but the city feels stagnant, even though the current census claims that we're slightly growing in comparison to Chicago, which has an even healthier downtown core with a stagnant and in some sections like the West and.South Sides, declining populations.

Finally I don't believe that Philadelphia is as innovative as it was in the last century. For most of last century, Philadelphia was the "Workshop of the World". National Geographic called this city the "Next Great City", but despite that announcement, if you can't stabilize not just Center City, but North, West, Northwest, Northeast, South, and Southwest Phila with affordable housing, more supply of housing other than the common row home,strong business corridors, a transportation system that's affordable, and a constant stream of immigration, Philadelphia is going to be lumped with the Baltimores, the Clevelands, the St Louis, and the Detroits rather than the Bostons, the San Franciscos, the Atlantas, and the Miamis. And that's the truth!!!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Disagree 100%

This is a very European design... very Norman Foster design. His towers don't sit well with everybody... and I happen to like that. I could see this tower in London or in Germany.
Well you can't please everybody and I'm one of those people! Besides, America invented the skyscraper and the ACC was very American looking and it looked to be a Philadelphia icon until many NIMBYs, the city and state govt, and the economy gave the ACC an untimely death. CITC, for all its worth, won't enliven Arch St nor will it really enhance the Philadelphia skyline, it's just filler.

Besides, the new Transbay Tower looks much better and more professional than te CITC, and that's saying a lot!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Finally I don't believe that Philadelphia is as innovative as it was in the last century. For most of last century, Philadelphia was the "Workshop of the World". National Geographic called this city the "Next Great City", but despite that announcement, if you can't stabilize not just Center City, but North, West, Northwest, Northeast, South, and Southwest Phila with affordable housing, more supply of housing other than the common row home,strong business corridors, a transportation system that's affordable, and a constant stream of immigration, Philadelphia is going to be lumped with the Baltimores, the Clevelands, the St Louis, and the Detroits rather than the Bostons, the San Franciscos, the Atlantas, and the Miamis. And that's the truth!!!
There is literally so much contradictory babble in here it's not worth addressing.

But noted. Philadelphia was more innovative when it made Stetson Hats than today, in spite of all of the emerging science coming out of Philadelphia that will literally transform medical science.

Also, great cities have affordable housing? Good to know. Let me go scoop that place I've been waiting to buy in SF and NYC.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Well you can't please everybody and I'm one of those people! Besides, America invented the skyscraper and the ACC was very American looking and it looked to be a Philadelphia icon until many NIMBYs, the city and state govt, and the economy gave the ACC an untimely death. CITC, for all its worth, won't enliven Arch St nor will it really enhance the Philadelphia skyline, it's just filler.

Besides, the new Transbay Tower looks much better and more professional than te CITC, and that's saying a lot!
Not again! Give it a rest with the ACC, bro. It was not an amazing design to begin with. Many people like CITC better. And as explained to you many times, a 1,500 ft spec building in the middle of the Great Recession was never going to happen. Nor do global companies just decide to come to your city because you build a tall tower with nothing more. This is real life. Not the field of dreams. They don't come just because you build it. If you line up a significant anchor tenant, that allows towers the scope of the ACC to get built. In a post on the New York forum, you said basically the same thing as you say above but included GSK as one of ACC's would-be tenants along with TD Bank, GE, and the like. Now you omit GSK. Why? Because GSK is based in Philly's Navy Yard. If GSK and perhaps some other Navy Yards companies told Brandywine or other top developers that they wanted to relocate to Center City, ACC or something like it would be built tomorrow.

Last edited by jsbrook; Sep 14, 2017 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Well you can't please everybody and I'm one of those people! Besides, America invented the skyscraper and the ACC was very American looking and it looked to be a Philadelphia icon until many NIMBYs, the city and state govt, and the economy gave the ACC an untimely death. CITC, for all its worth, will thankfully enliven Arch St and really enhance the Philadelphia skyline.

And, the new Transbay Tower looks almost as good and professional as the CITC, and that's saying a lot!
I fixed that for ya

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 11:33 AM

(^Very much so Mr. Saturn64, Chi-Town is stunning!).

Coming in for a landing...

(wanderer )

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Finally got a chance to see the NBC Tower in Chicago up close, and all I kept saying was ...this is the "Art Deco CTC." Lord Norman Foster designed a new Apple store on the Chicago River close by that was inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright and the Prairie School-style. I don't think there's any question that Foster/Comcast had the NBC Tower in mind when finalizing CTC (people mentioned this when the CTC renderings were first released, but after seeing it up close--no doubt about it). Foster seems to like to tip his design-cap to others once in a while with his new works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_Tower

I agree that this is a cool looking tower, in fact, I was actually in Chicago last summer and stayed in an Embassy Suits near the NBC tower. Have you been to the skydeck in the Willis/Sears Tower? I recommend visiting it because you get a great view from being 103 floors up (1,358 ft.) from a glass balcony where you can look straight down. Anyway, hope you enjoy your visit in Chicago!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:19 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Don't forget a resemblance to Rockerfeller Center in NYC. That's a great bldg too with an awesome observation deck and museum. Really good stuff all around it.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Don't forget a resemblance to Rockerfeller Center in NYC. That's a great bldg too with an awesome observation deck and museum. Really good stuff all around it.
You mean NYC's famous Comcast Building?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 4:39 PM

[QUOTE=wanderer34;7921642]Well you can't please everybody and I'm one of those people! Besides, America invented the skyscraper and the ACC was very American looking and it looked to be a Philadelphia icon until many NIMBYs, the city and state govt, and the economy gave the ACC an untimely death. CITC, for all its worth, won't enliven Arch St nor will it really enhance the Philadelphia skyline, it's just filler. QUOTE]

What's with all the ACC love? It was a very tall, confusing plan for a building that tried to do too much and didn't do anything well, and I think it never had a real shot at getting built. If it was such a great building Comcast could have, would have built it.

But hold onto that dream.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 10:35 PM

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 10:47 PM

are they working vertically on this one again? I thought I saw some crane action going on by the cooling tower area.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post
are they working vertically on this one again? I thought I saw some crane action going on by the cooling tower area.
I noticed the same thing on my way into town yesterday.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 11:32 PM

It's been a while since I've gotten in the city, so it's time for a photo dump.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 2:01 AM

The differences in the horizontal bars between hotel and office sections seems more and more like a big design error. I can't see ant aesthetic benefit to making the bottom beveled and the top flat.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 7:22 PM

Well, this certainly isn't good news:

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...ast-Tower.aspx

Keep in mind this is dated Sept 12:
Quote:
The inspection, which started a few weeks ago, will continue for another month as the company examines over 5,000 welds that bind more than 600 pieces of steel supporting the building’s lighting and mechanical equipment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture