HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
They also mention the issue of ubers and amazon deliveries as something to be planned for... I have to agree. Our side street in Bucktown is regularly blocked with 10+ cars backed up due to one amazon delivery van sitting in the street as the driver delivers people's tooth brushes or whatever they are buying with "free to me shipping".
CDOT really needs to come up with a regime for handling this stuff. Carve out dedicated loading zones for these uses and start ticketing people out the ass who block roads/bike lanes/crosswalks.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 5:38 PM

Why walk across the street to Target when you can have toilet paper delivered to your door? It's a no brainer.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 6:37 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Developers want to build 401 apartments in two new West Loop towers [Curbed]

The article can be summarized in "West Loop developers continue developing" but I wanted to point this paragraph out:

"Both buildings are near public transportation, so they qualify as TOD. That’s why the two towers and their combined 401 units have just 80 parking spaces. McGuire said that seeming low figure might actually be high, based on future estimates. But, if there is a sudden demand for tenant parking, Related Realty can lease out at least 200 of its unused parking spaces inside Landmark West Loop’s 320-car garage."

When will they learn?
Great! Agree with the overbuilding of parking, but that was probably to appease the dumb NIMBYs. It’s the NIMBYs who never learn

I love the canyonization we are seeing of the expressways with all of these West Loop projects

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Agree with the overbuilding of parking, but that was probably to appease the dumb NIMBYs. It’s the NIMBYs who never learn
I think in the case of Landmark, the stillborn pre-recession condo Planned Development that Related essentially took over forced them to build all that wasteful parking.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 7:58 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Target next door and Racine blue line stop around the corner...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 9:01 PM

The lack of podiums is pretty refreshing. Has Antunavich upped their game?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 11:31 PM

Updated renderings of the West Loop projects provided by Block Club Chicago. Gotta say, I'm impressed.

Source: https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/07...ke-renderings/

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 12:35 AM
1st Ward

Wow! And here I was worried that the 'Harry Potter' tower might not get built this cycle, and here this pops up! Love the design, and love the canyonization of the Ike and Van Buren. All this added density will hopefully bring some more activity to the south end of the West Loop, which is a bit sleepy south of Madison and west of Halsted.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 12:56 AM
BANNED

OK in a few years let’s get serious about covering parts of the Kennedy and the Ike by West Loop and back in Oak Park.

But I must admit I’m more of a sucker for covering the train tracks in the south part of Grant Park first if there’s only so much money to go around.

Regardless the biggest bang for the buck would be first to start at the Kennedy first and Improve the housing value à la millennium park did and added tax dollars to the city coffers.

South Grant Park next

Oak Park Well that would be nice but I don’t see the return and investment to the city on that one so let’s call that one last

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post

Wow! And here I was worried that the 'Harry Potter' tower might not get built this cycle, and here this pops up! Love the design, and love the canyonization of the Ike and Van Buren. All this added density will hopefully bring some more activity to the south end of the West Loop, which is a bit sleepy south of Madison and west of Halsted.
The Harry Potter tower was just included in the rendering because it's been approved and this is how things "COULD" look in the future.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 1:44 AM

The Harry Potter tower?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:01 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
The Harry Potter tower?
The one that has a big lightbolt like scar going down its middle, like Harry Potter

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:12 AM
TL;DR

^ Pretty clear that one's not going anywhere. The developer is out of Columbus, and despite their history of highrises in that city, they don't seem to have the connections to pull off a big project in Chicago. I'm surprised they haven't flipped the site for a profit now that they secured the zoning change.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 3:05 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Pretty clear that one's not going anywhere. The developer is out of Columbus, and despite their history of highrises in that city, they don't seem to have the connections to pull off a big project in Chicago. I'm surprised they haven't flipped the site for a profit now that they secured the zoning change.
Well shucks, that's a bummer.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
The lack of podiums is pretty refreshing. Has Antunavich upped their game?
I mean these are like 8000% better than anything else they have ever done so I'm going to go with yes, the game has been stepped.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 1:00 PM

Are the giant Targets that popped up around the city built to support a building above it at some point, or are these lots gone for good? The “green” roof is ok, but the potential development that could happen seems like a big loss.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:35 PM
Urbane observer

It would be tough to put buildings on top. You'd have to put new piers down through the store, carve out areas for elevators, trash rooms, loading docks, etc. But the biggest modification would be to the ownership and investment structure. Better to just look elsewhere until the area becomes so dense that Target will go for a demolish-and-reopen-later deal, like at The Sinclair or that Aldi on Milwaukee.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 6:07 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I mean these are like 8000% better than anything else they have ever done so I'm going to go with yes, the game has been stepped.

Yeah.....I really like the 1125 W.Van Buren design...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 7:01 PM
THAT Guy

I want to say that the Target was built to accommodate a future highrise, but I'm not 100% certain. What I'm really waiting to see get developed are all those full blocks Walsh sits on.

---

1200 W Fulton - certainly would expand the skyline westward
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 7:01 PM

Fencing up around Father and Son plaza on north ave. Be nice to see that garb finally go

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations