HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 10:56 PM

Good point, glad to see a new project starting. This is a good location too, close to the new food cart pod opening soon across Burnside, Powell's, etc etc.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 2:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Good point, glad to see a new project starting. This is a good location too, close to the new food cart pod opening soon across Burnside, Powell's, etc etc.
I don’t think that food cart pod is opening anytime soon. Drove by there the other day and it was nowhere near ready. Hard to believe they said it would be ready by July

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 8:40 PM

Drawings [66 MB] and staff memo for the Choice Cambria at 135 NW Park Ave.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 4:07 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Drawings [66 MB] and staff memo for the Choice Cambria at 135 NW Park Ave.
That's a nice little basic 175 room hotel. That is something I could see going up in downtown Milwaukie.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 3:51 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
That's a nice little basic 175 room hotel. That is something I could see going up in downtown Milwaukie.
Let's hope that the Design Commission also pukes and sends this back for a complete redesign.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 5:08 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Let's hope that the Design Commission also pukes and sends this back for a complete redesign.
Yeah, they are gonna have to really win them over on the materials to get this through the design commission. It's super bland, but I could totally see a little hotel like this going up in downtown Milwaukie.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 5:01 PM

The dominating image of quality iron spot brick on their materials page is almost nowhere to be seen on their exterior elevations. A bit of a slight of hand perhaps?

There are also two nice multi-story (2&5!) brick buildings on the site that would be a shame to get rid of while there are half block parking lots and single story buildings along the North Park blocks.

Last edited by Rob Nob; Aug 16, 2021 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post

There are also two nice multi-story (2&5!) brick buildings on the site that would be a shame to get rid of while there are half block parking lots and single story buildings along the North Park blocks.
Exactly this! I’ve had the same thought. Obviously not development team’s fault there’s a vacant lot so nearby. You’re going to tear down two great fabric buildings for something that looks like it belongs near PDX. The whole exterior is so underwhelming.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 7:14 PM

The loss of the building at Park/Davis would be a real shame. It would be nice if it could somehow be incorporated into the new development—especially given that at the ground floor the existing building has a very similar layout to what's proposed, in terms of facade width on Park / main building entrance location / loading dock location. I'm sure with some adjustments the team could make the guestrooms above line up with the existing window locations.

I'm also pretty skeptical that this new requirement for a 12' setback from the Park Blocks is doing anything positive for activating the Park Blocks, which desperately need more activation. I could see the space in front the lounge/restaurant being used, but not the rest of it. And the landscaping in front of the retail space pretty much guarantees that that space is oriented to Couch rather than to Park.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Hotels are my business... this is an absolultely horrible design inside-out. Having front desk reception in the same room/area as the bar?? Squeezing a studio between the elevators and a stairwell... horrible back of house flow. Wow.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 8:01 PM
A before E

Quote:
The loss of the building at Park/Davis would be a real shame. It would be nice if it could somehow be incorporated into the new development—especially given that at the ground floor the existing building has a very similar layout to what's proposed, in terms of facade width on Park / main building entrance location / loading dock location. I'm sure with some adjustments the team could make the guestrooms above line up with the existing window locations.

I'm also pretty skeptical that this new requirement for a 12' setback from the Park Blocks is doing anything positive for activating the Park Blocks, which desperately need more activation. I could see the space in front the lounge/restaurant being used, but not the rest of it. And the landscaping in front of the retail space pretty much guarantees that that space is oriented to Couch rather than to Park.
I am really hoping all of this is brought up and addressed, they could do a much better job with this project overall to work best for its location.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 9:59 PM

Quote:
I am really hoping all of this is brought up and addressed, they could do a much better job with this project overall to work best for its location.
I'm so done with SERA. It's obvious they've decided that having projects ($$$$) is more important than having a soul. Their projects anymore are so bland and devoid of any sense of design thinking or depth. Or design at all.

They had a great reputation back when Bing Sheldon was still practicing. That's been completely trampled underfoot by current management.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 4:45 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
I'm so done with SERA. It's obvious they've decided that having projects ($$$$) is more important than having a soul. Their projects anymore are so bland and devoid of any sense of design thinking or depth. Or design at all.

They had a great reputation back when Bing Sheldon was still practicing. That's been completely trampled underfoot by current management.
It's hard to believe that era ended almost a decade ago.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 7:20 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
It's hard to believe that era ended almost a decade ago.
You're telling me, it's been about a decade or so since I finished college.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 5:32 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:

You know, if the two masonry buildings were retained, a compatible infill new building on the midblock parking lot could stitch together the resulting three-building-ensemble and be vertically organized to smooth out the floor misalignments of the existing brick corner buildings. Furthermore (let the structural engineers weigh in now...) the infill building could seismically brace the unreinforced masonry bookend buildings on the corners. The two story building at Couch could have added floors set back from both facades. If the 12 foot setback were imposed, it would occur at the midblock infill building, creating an entry forecourt, which might be a very nice amenity.

What an interesting hotel that could be!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 8:46 PM

Revised Drawings [68 MB] for the Choice Cambria.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 6:22 AM
A before E

Quote:
Better? I mean, I think it might be better than before, but it also doesn't look any better.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Needs work

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Better? I mean, I think it might be better than before, but it also doesn't look any better.
Not surprising from a Choice hotel.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 6:03 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
Not surprising from a Choice hotel.
Fair point

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland