HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 7:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

I think McMaster has three separate HR offices spread across campus. That's one department that could use more office space and centralized.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 6:20 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
I lived in Hamilton for 4 years and I never knew about St. Peter's. I past by the area many times on the B-Line bus but never saw it.
Weird how such a big structure could be so well hidden.
It's on Maplewood Ave, a parallel secondary street a block south of Main. So you'd have seen it from the Delaware 5x buses but not the B-Line.

https://goo.gl/maps/3uJPkGbCa322
Street view: https://goo.gl/maps/khtzTsrYXk52

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatboots View Post
Not much room for a new hospital near the old hospital, unless they buy/bought the old Studebaker land. Might be a nice transition from residential to industrial and lots of room for parking! Some extensive teardown on Barton wouldn't be a bad idea either. St Peters is in a nice neighbourhood, I'm sure HHS will have no problem selling that property
Between parking lots, empty lots and potential teardowns (The old HHS library building, 293 Wellington St N, etc) there's a fairly huge amount of space in the area they could use.

Studebaker land is already being developed as a light industrial park.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 1:45 PM

That corner with the auto service centre, warehouse(?) would be ideal, from a strictly planning perspective those things are way out of place there.

As far as Studebaker goes, I thought the "industrial park" was just a ploy to be able to knock down the building and pay less tax on the property, because that's definitely what it looks like.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatboots View Post
That corner with the auto service centre, warehouse(?) would be ideal, from a strictly planning perspective those things are way out of place there.

As far as Studebaker goes, I thought the "industrial park" was just a ploy to be able to knock down the building and pay less tax on the property, because that's definitely what it looks like.
They've started preparing the land for the industrial park. it's recently been leveled out, there's trucks there all the time so I assume it's happening. There's a huge empty lot across the street that could maybe be used though.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:29 PM

I've driven through there a few times and never noticed anything but fences, that doesn't mean it's not happening though. Unglamorous intensification, but not everything can be King William St!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 6:10 PM

I suspect that HHS will quietly by up properties south and/or east of the hospital, demolish and develop the new lands. Or they will develop their vast parking properties to the west and south west of the hospital. I don't think they will go north of the tracks. They will want to connect the building either above or below the ground.
They may do all of the above.
I imagine there will be private developers starting to pick up lands in the area to hold and sell to HHS to make a profit. The best would be if they start to develop their own project with a higher density projects.
I have been to a few cities and Charleston SC comes to mind with a large hospital and medical research facilities all together in the core area. They are very vibrant areas with lots of housing, shops and restaurants.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 8:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

HHS to pull out of St. Peter’s and McMaster hospitals
Board approves 20-year plan to move care to General and Juravinski sites

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/67...ter-hospitals/

Hamilton Health Sciences will stop operating St. Peter's Hospital and McMaster University Medical Centre under a 20-year plan approved by its board.

"What we're going to do with those facilities at this particular point in time is uncertain," said Norm Col, chair of the board of directors.

The plan also calls for Hamilton patients to go to an expanded Grimsby hospital for day surgery.

The HHS proposal now going to the Local Health Integration Network and the province suggests MUMC would most likely be given back to McMaster University in the next 10 to 12 years.

"This will permit the current MUMC facility to be transitioned back to the Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, who own the site for future growth in academic and research activities."

St. Peter's would be "repurposed" within 10 years "for other community health related activities and health/wellness partners."

The case for cutting ties with SPH and MUMC is contained in the board report approved June 23, which HHS has not made readily available to the public.

The hospital network stopped posting board agendas and reports on its website a year ago with no explanation. The Spectator was given a copy five days after requesting it.

The report makes it clear that Hamilton General Hospital and Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre will be the only two hospital sites operated by HHS in its vision of the future.

"HHS identified opportunities to reduce the number of large acute care hospital sites it operates in Hamilton by relocating services currently provided at MUMC and SPH to HGH and JHCC."

The two remaining hospitals would be redeveloped along with Grimsby's West Lincoln Memorial Hospital.

A "substantial portion of day surgery" would move out of Hamilton to Grimsby.

"This recommendation will take pressure off the very busy operating rooms in Hamilton with complex, in-patient surgeries, and puts less complex day surgery in a more appropriate ambulatory environment," states the proposal.

Grimsby would also have an emergency department, do low-risk births and have a community medicine program.

A new hospital for women and children would be built near HGH and become part of its campus within the next 10 years.

A big part of the plan is creating community clinics or other ways to access services in neighbourhoods — particularly those that need it most.

Future patients could even connect virtually with HHS.

"HHS anticipates that reducing the number of operating sites would offer significant opportunities for efficiencies," states the report by Kelly Campbell, vice-president of corporate services and capital development, and Aaron Levo, vice-president communications and public affairs.

Some of the efficiencies come from being able to merge services like pharmacy, diagnostics and laboratories. Some result simply from having to provide services in fewer buildings.

Fewer sites also could "improve patient experience through the continuum of care," suggests the report.

MUMC is specifically targeted because the site is owned by McMaster University, with HHS having a space-sharing agreement.

"Given the ownership structure, HHS has limited ability to expand or redevelop the 45- year-old site to meet future needs, particularly additional space for the growing demands of the McMaster Children's Hospital. Additionally, HHS is currently responsible for all maintenance and infrastructure renewal at the MUMC site, with costs recovered from McMaster University according to their respective space utilization of the site," states the report.

In addition, it's difficult for HHS to maintain an intensive care unit for birthing moms at MUMC.

"Moving the Women's Reproductive Health program to a new building at the HGH site would allow the program to utilize the services of the HGH adult Intensive Care Unit, instead of the current model where a small and relatively expensive Women's ICU is required at MUMC."

CEO Rob MacIsaac says HHS will try to find "new opportunities" for the St. Peter's and MUMC sites instead of seeing them close altogether.

"I think it would be wrong to say 100 per cent the vision is that there won't be anything left on either of the sites."

The next steps are to take the plan to the LHIN and the province.

"The best way to think about it is that you start off in a very broad circle and you keep narrowing in until you have your final plan," said MacIsaac. "We'll keep going in concentric circles until we arrive at an answer that is good for us and acceptable to the LHIN and to the province. Where we stand today might not look like exactly where we end up at the end of the process. I think we've got a vision we can be proud of. … But there's still lots of work left."

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 2:47 PM

HHS and St. Joe's are saying that over $3.6B is needed to replace parts of Jurv, St. Joe's Charlton, and St. Peters.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10095813/...redevelopment/

Firstly, that's a lot of infrastructure replacement! Replacing hospital buildings is going to mean big construction activity in the ? 5-10+ years? ahead.
Secondly, whatever happened to HHS' plan to close MUMC?
Thirdly, $3B in provincial funding is a massive request, on top of existing requests for downtown Hamilton to get funding for LRT, an elementary school at SJAM, supportive housing, and more. It's going to be really problematic for our community that downtown will have no MPP with a voice at Queen's Park for three years!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 7:47 PM

Of course the city is looking to pay for it through DC charges. Lets just saddle thousands more costs onto homebuyers so that existing wealthy homeowners don' have to spend an extra $40 a year in property taxes, shall we?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
HHS and St. Joe's are saying that over $3.6B is needed to replace parts of Jurv, St. Joe's Charlton, and St. Peters.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10095813/...redevelopment/
The Jurv Henderson tower (E/F wings) are absolutely terrible. Small narrow hallways, excessive ward rooms that are too small, and lack of equipment. Honestly, the building is not up to modern day healthcare standards. The 2012 build of the A/B/C wings are very nice and feature everything a modern hospital needs.

Whenever the new tower gets built, which has been in the planning stages for a while, it will be interesting to see how they are able to mitigate the loss of beds when construction is underway.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 8:12 PM
Ham-burgher

I think it's been a while since there's been a major investment in medical facilities. The new psych hospital was a fairly recent build, but it's probably been since the 1990s and maybe 1980s that things were done to the other big hospitals (and I don't know if much has even happened at St. Peter's since it was built). Right, I forgot about Juravinski but the ones in the lower city haven't changed much have they?

We're probably due. And Hamilton hospitals serve a much broader area so this isn't just about the city seeking provincial funds.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 7:21 PM
It's Hammer Time

https://www.hamiltonhealthsciences.c...ealthy-future/

Juravinski Hospital

Total cost: $2.3 billion
Stage: 1.3 – Functional Programming
Projected construction start: mid-2028

The redevelopment of the Juravinski Hospital is the single-largest health infrastructure investment in HHS’ history and will also make JH the largest acute inpatient hospital in our region.

Construction will take place as we begin a phased demolition of the four oldest wings of the hospital, and build new, modern patient care areas. The modernized facility will result in an increased footprint of almost 70 per cent, and will feature:

All beds will move to single-patient rooms
417 newly constructed beds; 170 net new beds (total of 534)
Inpatient units with anticipated bed growth include Medicine, Critical Care, Cancer Care, Community Surgical Care and Inpatient Rehabilitation
Hallways and common areas will be larger as well to meet current accessibility standards.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 7:50 PM

hmm I hope there is some plan to retain the historic building on the west end. Maybe part of a large atrium space??

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 2:14 AM

So it looks like they’ll complete construction on the blue portion before beginning construction of the rest so they don’t lose patient capacity. E/F wings, right in the middle of the new build will then be demolished. This is going to be a very very long construction project.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
hmm I hope there is some plan to retain the historic building on the west end. Maybe part of a large atrium space??
You would have to gut the building. Plus it is at the rear of the property (if I am thinking of the same building, i.e. the rehabilitation centre). Old buildings are just not functionally effective in hospital complexes...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 2:57 PM
Hammer'd

I stayed in the older part of the hospital for a few weeks at the end of 2019 for rehab and while it seemed like that part of the building was well taken care of, you can tell that the physical dimensions of it just don't meet the needs of a modern hospital. Every time I'd have to be shuttled around by a porter to another area of the hospital, they'd have to struggle a bit with the small elevators and I remember there being a pretty considerable "bump" in the hallway when you'd transition to/from the newer parts of the hospital. I think this is gonna turn out really nice.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 10:03 PM
Ham-burgher

Definitely. And it's little things too.

I live in a building that went up in the mid-1950s. It doesn't look all that old from the outside, but the hallways are narrow, some of the corridor doors open out into limited space, and while the units have largely been renovated the hallways between them are original.

This is just residential! Imagine how the standards have changed for hospitals.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy